Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ideas for a "Doctor It Up" challenge

Posted by sooz (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 3:01

Some of my friends and I are doing a "Doctor It Up" cookie challenge this year as part of our cookie exchange.

This means that we take store bought cookies (already made, not slice and bake) and doctor them up. I was hoping to get matched up with Oreos, but I got biscotti.

I picked up a large tub o'biscotti (Nonni's Biscotti) from Costco and am ready for ideas. Nonni's Biscotti already have a nice layer of chocolate along the entire bottom of each one.

For the "doctoring" I'm leaning towards a thin red and green drizzle and another idea was to dip one end in melted chocolate and then roll it in chopped almonds or pistachios. I also googled for some ideas under 'decorated biscotti.'

Any other ideas???

Thanks!
Smiles,
Sooz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ideas for a "Doctor It Up" challenge

Peanut butter drizzle over chocolate biscotti....

o

1. Sandwich two chocolate wafers with ready-made or homemade pecan frosting and drizzled melted German Chocolate over the top and dust with finely chopped coconut and/or chopped pecans.

You could also use this broiler frosting on cookies or chocolate wafers.
Topping:
2 T. butter, melted
1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
2 T. corn syrup
2 T. milk
1 c. coconut
1/2 c. finely chopped pecans

In a small bowl combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and milk; blend well. Stir in coconut and pecans. Drop on cookies and broil 4-inches from heat for about 1-minute, or until bubbly.

2. Spray the top of Pecan Sandies with butter-flavored PAM and dip the top only into cinnamon sugar (coarse sugar if you have it). Drizzle with cinnamon-flavored icing or add cinnamon to melted white chocolate and drizzle it over the top.

3. I think Irish Cream Frosting would be good sandwiched between two chocolate wafers and dust the top with Dutched Cocoa.

Irish Cream Frosting
1/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 3-oz. package of cream cheese, softened
2 T. Irish cream liqueur
2 c. powdered sugar sifted

Beat the butter, cream cheese, and liqueur in a mixing bowl on medium speed until blended, smooth, and fluffy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating on medium until light and creamy.

4. Cookies of choice dipped in dark or white chocolate and topped with crushed candy canes.

5. Ice cookies with vanilla or maple icing. Drizzle on caramel topping and swirl it into the icing and top with salted peanuts (whole or chopped). Kinda' like a Pay Day candy bar.

6. Top cookies with this filling and drizzle on the topping.

Filling:
24 Kraft Caramels, unwrapped
1/3 c. whipping cream
2 cups pecan halves

In a saucepan combine caramels and whipping cream. Cook over low heat until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add pecans; stir well to coat. Immediately spoon over cookies.

Topping:
1 t. butter
1/2 c. milk chocolate chips
2 T. whipping cream

In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter and chocolate chips, stirring constantly. Stir in whipping cream. Drizzle over filling.

Refrigerate cookies for 1 hour, or until firm.

7. Orange/Raisin Topping

1 c. dark raisins
1 c. golden raisins
1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
1 T. grated orange peel
(I would also add a little Fiori di Sicili (orange/vanilla flavored extract from King Arthur, or some orange extract)
1 can (14-oz.) sweetened condensed milk

Mix ingredients in a bowl; blend well. Spoon over cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake in a 375-degree F oven until bubbly. Cool completely.

8. Quick Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Pops
(source: Pillsbury Homemade Cookies - October 1989)

20 vanilla wafers
1/4 c. peanut butter
10 wooden sticks
5-oz. chocolate-flavored candy coating

To assemble each cookie pop, spread about 1 t. peanut butter over flat side of 1 vanilla safer; press end of wooden stick into peanut butter. Top with plain vanilla wafer, placing flat sides together. Repeat for remaining cookie pops.

Melt candy coating in small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Dip cookies into coating; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper until set. Yield: 10 cookie pops. (Note: you can completely cover the cookies, or partially dip them - your choice.

Microwave directions: Assemble cookie pops as directed above. In 2-cup microwave-safe measuring cup, microwave candy coating on MEDIUM for 3 minutes or until melted, stirring once halfway through cooking. Stir until smooth. Continue as directed above.

Tip: For easier dipping, pour melted candy coating into glass measuring cup or other tall narrow container.

9. Chocolate-Caramel Squares
(source: same Pillsbury book as above recipe)

8-1/2 or 9-oz. pkg. cream-filled sugar wafer cookies
24 Kraft caramels, unwrapped
2 T. milk
6-oz. pkg (1-cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 T. butter

Lightly grease an 8- or 9-inch square pan. Arrange single layer of wafer cookies side-by-side over bottom of greased pan. Reserve half of wafer cookies for second layer. In small saucepan, melt caramels with milk over low heat, stirring occasionally until well blended. Spread evenly over wafer cookies in pan. Arrange reserved wafer cookies side by side in single layer over caramel mixture in pan. In small saucepan, melt chocolate chips with butter over low heat, stirring occasionally. Spread evenly over wafer cookies. Cool until set. Cut into bars. 36-bars.

-Grainlady

o

The first thing biscotti brings to mind is coffee. I'd make a glaze of sifted 4X sugar mixed with a little strongly brewed coffee and a few drops of vanilla extract and pipe it in a zigzag pattern over one side of the cookies.

o

Here is a recipe/method for a bread pudding made with biscotti. It sounds interesting.

Eileen

Here is a link that might be useful: Biscotti bread pudding.

o
And one for chocolate bread pudding.

This one is a chocolate version and might work better with your chocolate coated biscotti.

Eileen

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Biscotti Pudding

This post was edited by barnmom on Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 11:10

o
And another without hazelnuts.

Chocolate Budino
serves 6-8

2 extra large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/4 cups heavy cream, plus more for topping
1 cup whole milk
2 cups coarsely crumbled biscotti, cookie, or dry cake
3 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted

Line an 8-inch cake pan with plastic wrap, leaving a few inches of overhang on all edges. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar. Add the cornstarch and continue whisking until no lumps remain. In a medium saucepan, bring the cream and milk to a simmer. Remove from the heat and pour 1 cup of the mixture into the eggs and sugar, whisking constantly to temper the eggs. Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan with the milk and cream. Return the pan to medium heat and whisk continuously until the custard thickens, about 8-10 minutes. Do not let the mixture come to a rolling boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate, cookie, vanilla extract, espresso powder, and cocoa powder. Stir until combined and until the chocolate has completely melted. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and cover with plastic wrap, laying it directly on top of the pudding. Refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

To serve, remove the top sheet of plastic wrap, invert the pudding onto a serving plate, and remove the plastic wrap. Garnish with more cookies, grated chocolate, and lightly sweetened whipped cream. Cut into wedges and serve. Enjoy!

Printed from thegalleygourmet.net

o

You could drizzle with white chocolate and sprinkle with crushed candy canes/peppermints.

o

How bout redipping them in dark or white chocolate and tacking on some teeny gingerbread men or mini marshmallow snowmen?

o

Awesome ideas!!! Thank you!!!

Smiles,
Sooz

o

If the biscotti is almond based, then I would re-dip in dark chocolate and roll half the cookie in chopped slivered almonds or or thinly sliced almonds. I'd keep chocolate and almonds as the two, and only two, main flavors.

o
oops

ooops, sorry, Suze. I didn't read your post carefully and you already said what I suggested. I do apologize.

o

Awww, westsider, apologies aren't necessary!

Great minds thinking alike and all that y'know! :O)

Smiles,
Sooz

o

Well, they would be hard to dunk if you do this, but you could cut them into pieces with a serrated knife and then dunk the squares into chocolate, making a bite sized chocolate covered biscotti. Sprinkle or decorate as you wish.

You could also arrange them on a plate in the shape of a star or a Christmas tree, drizzle with colored icing and sprinkles...

Annie

o

Thanks, Annie! That sounds like a good experiment to try--using a serrated knife (or even my electric knife!) and then go wild&crazy from there! :O)

Smiles,
Sooz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here