Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Egg coffee

Posted by PattyPeterson2208 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 2:47

I was reading an old thread about coffee and wondered if anyone else ever makes egg coffee. I have not made it for a long time and wondered if I could make it in my drip coffee maker. For those of you that don't know you mix your grounds with a whole egg and brew your coffee. It gives you a very rich creamy coffee maybe on Sunday. Patty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Egg coffee

My parents made "cowboy coffee" when they used the old granitware coffee pot and added egg shells to it which clarified the noxious brew. Then they got their first percolator and that was the end of the egg shells in coffee... But to answer your question, I ran across the link below and perhaps it will help you out with a how-to.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Eggspresso

o

"----But to answer your question, I ran across the link below and perhaps it will help you out with a how-to.
-Grainlady"

If you decide to try that, make sure that you measure the temperature. I am concerned that the egg will not be cooked to safe temperature in the coffee.

dcarch

o

I agree with you about it might not be hot enough so will wait for next summer when camping I have a old coffee pot to put on the stove top. Thanks for the feed back. Patty

o

To pasteurize a raw egg: 140-degrees F and maintain the temperature for 3-1/2 minutes. -Grainlady

o

My mother always made a several urns of egg coffee when they entertained. It is delicious. So smooth and creamy.

I think she used to mix the egg with the grounds, bring the grounds to a boil in a pot of water, and then pour it through a filter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here