SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tobyt_gw

Homemade Marshmallows

TobyT
14 years ago

I was off work yesterday and decided to try homemade marshmallows. They were so easy - okay, a little sticky, but easy, not to mention inexpensive. I'm hooked!

The first batch I made was vanilla bean, coated in toasted coconut - something that a now defunct department store sold when I was a kid. Delicious! Second batch I made was strawberry, made with puree of local berries that I had in the freezer. Then I made another batch of vanilla, which I am going to dip in dark chocolate for the ultimate hot chocolate topper. I always give homemade treats for gifts to colleagues, so everyone will get marshmallows this year. I think it's something that most people haven't had. I will try to get my act together tomorrow and post a picture or two.

I followed the recipe as written, except I put them in a 7" x 11" pan, which made them about an inch high, and I skipped the coconut extract.

Toasted Coconut Marshmallows

Gourmet : December 2007

Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez and Lillian Chou

We often relegate marshmallows to a hot-chocolate topper, but these coconut treats definitely deserve to be offered up solo. Each pillowy square is surrounded by a flurry of toasted coconut. And since they keep for a month, they can be made well in advance of the holiday rush.

Yield: Makes about 4 dozen candies

Active Time: 1 hr

Total Time: 3 1/4 hr (includes setting time)

2 cups unsweetened dried coconut

3 (1/4-ounces) envelopes unflavored gelatin

1 cup water, divided

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 cup light corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon coconut extract

Equipment: a 9-inch square metal baking pan; a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment; a candy thermometer

Preheat oven to 350F with rack in middle.

Toast coconut in a shallow baking pan in oven, stirring occasionally, until golden, 7 to 10 minutes.

Oil 9-inch baking pan, then sprinkle bottom with 1/2 cup toasted coconut.

Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup water in bowl of mixer and let soften while making syrup.

Heat sugar, corn syrup, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup water in a small heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium heat, without stirring, washing any sugar crystals down side of pan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water. Put thermometer into syrup and continue boiling, without stirring, until it registers 240°F (soft-ball stage). Remove from heat and let stand until bubbles dissipate.

With mixer at low speed, pour hot syrup into gelatin in a thin stream down side of bowl. Increase speed to high and beat until very thick, about 15 minutes. Add vanilla and coconut extracts and beat 1 minute more.

Spoon marshmallow over toasted coconut in baking pan and press evenly with dampened fingertips to smooth top (it will be very sticky), then evenly sprinkle top with 1/2 cup toasted coconut.

Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature until firm, about 2 hours.

Run a sharp knife around edge of marshmallow and invert onto a cutting board. Cut into 3/4-inch-wide strips, then cut each strip into 3/4-inch squares.

Put remaining toasted coconut in a small bowl and dredge marshmallows in it to coat completely.

Cook's notes:

Marshmallow squares keep, layered between sheets of parchment paper in an airtight container, in a dry place at cool room temperature 1 month.  To avoid stickiness, try to make marshmallows on a dry day.

Epicurious.com © Condé Nast Digital, Inc. All rights reserved.

Comments (8)