SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikes100acdreamfarm

And your #1 pick is---Recipes please

It's that time of year again. Christmas delectables. Cookies, candies, breads, puddings dancing through our heads along with nightmares of how to get it all done in ummm 18 days!!! Not to mention the cards, gifts, decorating etc. etc.

So in the name of sanity I've started to whittle my selection down a tad. But being a glutton for punishment (especially after finding this blog with so many good cooks) I'm always looking for new gotta have goodies.

What is the one Christmas treat you fix or it's just not going to be Christmas. Recipes from those who want to share please.

Mine is Molasses Cookies. I dare not make them to many other times of the year.

3/4 c. butter (It's got to be the real thing)

1/2 c. molasses (I use our homemade sorghum but the original recipe calls for molasses.)

1 c. sugar

1 egg

2 c. flour

2 t. baking soda

1/2 t. each cloves, ginger and salt

1 t. cinnamon

Melt butter. Cool and add molasses, sugar and egg. Sift dry ingredients and add to first mixture. Chill. Roll into 1" balls and then roll in raw or granulated sugar. Bake on greased sheet @ 375 for 6-8 min. or just until cracked and set. Cool slightly before removing to rack.

(They aren't the most perfectly formed cookie but I dare you to eat just one!)I always double the batch because they just dont stick around. Buckeye candies would be the other thing the kids, all grown but still insist on.

Mike

Comments (29)

• Cathy_in_PA
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Mike. Your Molasses Cookies sound delish! Do they turn out flat/crisp or puffy/chewy?

This is one of the cookies that means Christmas in our house. Once a year, because, well, you'll see why when you read the ingredients. They're usually the first to go, and my daughter says "What's not to love?"

Grammy's Toffee Bars

1 Cup butter (no substitutes)
    1 Cup sugar
    1 Egg yolk
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 Cups flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    6-1.55 oz Hershey bars broken (usually sold in six pack)
    nuts (optional)

Cream butter and sugar. Add/incorporate egg yolk and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt. Spread/pat in 10 x 15 x 1" jelly roll pan. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and place broken hershey bars on top. Spread once melted. Cut while warm.

Notes:
    I hand mix dough -- may be crumbly before patting in pan.
    Use some pressure when spreading Hershey bars -- the chocolate may lift off when cutting.
    Cut once while warm. Wait until completely cooled and chocolate has lost its gloss and cut again.
    Can't speak about nuts -- nut allergies.
    I cut these very small -- rich.

I'll be interested in others' responses, Mike. I have two more kinds of cookies to bake, and may have an extra day ...

Cathy in SWPA

• caliloo
    14 years ago

I discovered these a few years ago and they have become and absolutley must have at our house.

Candy Cane Crinkles

These are VERY good and quick to make!

4 oz white chocolate chopped
    1/3 cup butter softened
    1 ½ cups sugar, divided
    ¼ cup sour cream or buttermilk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 large egg
    2 cups flour
    ½ tsp baking soda
    ¼ tsp salt
    ½ cup white chocolate chips
    crushed candy canes

1. Melt white chocolate in microwave.

2. Cream butter. Gradually add sugar. Add white chocolate, sour cream, vanilla, egg. Beat well.

3. Combine flour, baking soda, salt. Add to butter mixture. Mix well. Cover and chill for an hour.

4. Preheat oven to 375. Shape dough into 1 inch balls (slightly smaller is better) roll in sugar (Red sanding sugar is better). Place on ungreased baking sheet 2" apart. Bake 7 8 minutes until bottoms are slightly brown. Cool briefly on baking sheet then completely on a cooling rack.

5. In microwave, melt white chocolate chips. Drizzle stripes onto cookies, Sprinkle on crushed candy canes while chocolate is still warm.

• Related Discussions

Which disposal is your top pick? Thank you!

Q

Comments (36)
    I just replaced the Badger 5 that was installed in the 10-year-old home that I just bought. It was leaking out the bottom of the motor. The replacement I chose was the Waste King 9940, which has a lifetime in-home warranty. Works fine. I was surprised that it is louder than the Badger was, unless there is water covering the drain. Not a big deal, though. The one thing I wanted to point out for DIYers is that I was surprised to find that the particular 9940 I bought plugs in rather than being direct wired like my Badger was. I elected to keep the unit and convert my wiring to an outlet to make it easier to service in the future. Based upon the instruction manual, I'm guessing that it is available in a direct wired format, too. I would think there would be a model number difference, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. As for the EZ-mount vs 3-prong, it seems much ado about nothing to me. The 3-prong is very simple to install. The most difficult part of the process was disassembling the mount from the motor before installation. The directions failed to mention loosening the ring clamp around the rubber mount before attempting to pull it off the motor. It only mentioned lining up the 3 tabs.
    ...See More

Need your help on picking chandy, please

Q

Comments (31)
    "Has anyone tried this method?" No, but my BF did. He used Windex and it ruined the brass. I've heard about that method, and someone must have told him about it so he tried it. I had been after him to clean the dang thing for a long while. I even offered to bring one of my microfiber cloths over, and rub each crystal one by one to clean it and make the chandy look fabulous again. I think he never cleaned it because he says he thinks it's ugly so he didn't take care of it. It came with the place. Now, last time I was over there I noticed it was dimming all the time. I looked, and the plastic, fake candle, tubes was melted and blackened on two of the light sockets. It is shorting out now. I do not know if it is from getting Windex into the socket or wiring and causing the arcing,but I suspect it is. So, IMHO I would not spray down a chandelier to clean it.
    ...See More

Please pick your favorite Backsplash (Pics.)

Q

Comments (4)
    I like photo #1 middle (unless it is too pinky which it may not be in person) because it is unique while still remaining somewhat neutral. The others look lovely with your paint color and granite, but I think that if you ever decide to change your paint color above your cabinets the others may limit you more. The second picture, right side is also nice, but I like the uniqueness of the other one better. Can you post a picture that shows them up against the cabinetry as well to see how all the colors tie together, they might help. Good luck! Kat :)
    ...See More

Final countdown - help pick 1 2 3 or 4

Q

Comments (24)
    .... Where do you live? How big is front yard? Is privacy an issue? No privacy issue. While we can access upstairs thru this door, it will primarily be used to access storage under house/ yardwork and as access between front / back of house since length is 65 feet, a long walk around. Since we need a door and could go upstairs from it, thought to make it more 'front door' looking instead of discreet door. Attached shows traffic in / out of prior house before rebuild for us / neighboring family members, all located to the left as also is the shore. Thank you again to all who helped with their opinions !! This post was edited by Jaynes123 on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 15:08
    ...See More
  • busylizzy
    14 years ago

I cut my list of cookies down a tad also this year. The teens go nuts over Choc Chip cookies, last year whoofing down 24 dozen total that my daughter took to school.
    I make cookie trays for school faculty and others, about 8 different cookies. But, my Grandmothers Michigan Rocks always draw attention for the not too sickening sweet votes.
    The recipe dates back to the early 1900's and is still a winner.

Michigan Rocks

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 pounds Walnuts, chopped course
    1/2 pound Butter
    1 12/ Cups plus 2 Tbsp Sugar
    1 1/2 Loose dates finely chopped
    3 Cups Flour
    Pinch of Salt
    8 Eggs
    1 Tbsp Vanilla
    2 Tbsp White Vinegar
    1 Level tsp Baking Soda
    Powdered Sugar

Pre Heat Oven to 375 Degrees
    Grease a cookie sheet or use parchement paper

Cream butter, vanilla and sugar in large bowl, add nuts. Mix a cup of flour over dates add to bowl, add rest of flour, mix well. Beat the eggs and add to the mix, mix well. Lastly, add vinegar in which soda has been mixed.
    Drop on greased or lined cookie sheet by Tbsp. Bake for 15-20 minutes. After cookies have cooled, roll in powdered sugar

This make alot of cookies, never counted, but I think around 5 dozen or so.

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

This is the one must have. Making it today,

Peppermint Bark

1 Lb bittersweet chocolate
    8 Drop peppermint oil
    1 Lb chopped white chocolate
    3/4 Cup chopped candy canes

Line a 11 X 17 inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside

Melt bittersweet chocolate in a heavy pan over low heat, stirring constantly. Stir in 4 drops of peppermint oil. Spread evenly over pan and chill for about 1 hour.

Melt white chocolate in a heavy pot over low heat, stirring constantly.

Stir in remaining 4 drops of peppermint oil and then add in candy cane.

Spread white chocolate over chilled dark chocolate, spreading to the egde of the pan. Chill 4 hours.

Refrigerate just until just before serving then break into ieces. Will keep in the fridge for 3 weeks ( yeah right!!! LOL)

NOTE: You must use peppermint oil not extract. Extract will cause the chocolate to seize.....ask me how I know.

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

Busylizzy, is that cups or pounds of dates?
    I'm also wondering about the "8 eggs" because that's a lot for a cookie dough. I do love Michigan Rocks and would like to try your family recipe.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Mike:
    I'll be going down tomy DD for the hoilday, near Philly.

I have all the Pizzelles and Biscotti made.
    Now I have to make another Cheese Cake, to bring with me , the first one dissapeared.

This is the new recipe I made. Really good, like a
    Creamy NY CheeseCake.
    I'll probably probably top it with a fruit, like Strawberry or Pineapple Sauce.
    Lou
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lous - Creamy Italian Cheese Cake

Ingredients:
    15 Oz. Container of Sargentos Ricotta Cheese (Velvety Smooth )
    8 Oz. Philadelphia Cream Cheese ( room temperature )
    6 X large eggs ( Separated )
    1 Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream, Softened.
    1/2 cup of Milk
    1/2 cup of Orange juice
    1 teaspoon of Lemon Juice
    1 teaspoon of Vanilla
    4 tablespoons of Softened Butter
    1 cup of Sugar + 3 tablespoons
    1 heaping teaspoon of Orange Zest

4 tablespoons of AP flour
    1 tablespoon of Cornstarch
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Beat egg whites, with 3 Tablespoons of sugar, until stiff peaks.
    Put aside until the batter is mixed.

Place all the other ingredients in a large bowl, ( except the flour and cornstarch ) and the beaten egg whites.

Beat until smooth ( about 3 minutes )
    Add the flour. Beat another minute.
    Add the Cornstarch beat 1 minute.
    Fold in the Beaten Egg Whites
    Pour into a 9 1/2 inch Spring Form Pan lined with a Graham Cracker Crust.
    Wrap the bottom of the pan and up the sides about 1 inch, with Aluminum Foil
    Bake on an upper oven shelf of a 350 Degree oven for about 1 hour,
    Or until the top is a Golden Tan. Leave it in the oven until it cools down.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Graham Cracker Crust:
    Put 14 Crackers in a one Quart Zip lock bag and crumble with a rolling pin,
    Place in a bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of Sugar and 5 Tblspns of melted Butter.
    Mix and place in the Bottom of the Spring Form and up the sides about 1 ¼ Inches
    Bake at 350 for about 15 to 20 minutes until firm.

Springform Pan tip: Flip the bottom over so the recess in facing down.
    You will be able to get the Cake out easier

• mikes100acdreamfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cathy in SWPA the cookies are flat, crisp on the edges and chewy in the middle. If you stack them too soon they will stick to each other. But then you have an excuse to eat 2 or 3 instead of just one. LOL

All the recipes sound great. And I'm all for cookie bars. One year I was pressed for time and just made up all kinds of bar cookies to give as gifts. But I still like the looks of giving a tray of different shapes and textures. Seems prettier some how.

Keep the ideas coming. I'll have all next year to try out for the new gotta haves.

Mike

• jenn
    14 years ago

It's hard to pick just one. This is a recipe my grandma made many years ago. We don't know the original source of the recipe (I've seen it on-line, possibly swiped from my many posts of it.) I give it away every year now and always get raves and requests for the recipe.

Oranged Walnuts

(Makes 3 cups)

* 1-1/2 C sugar
    * 1/4 C orange juice (if possible, use fresh squeezed)
    * 1/4 C water
    * 1 tsp grated orange zest
    * 2 C walnut halves (see note)

Pour nuts into large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with orange zest.

Combine sugar, orange juice, and water in saucepan; cook to softball stage (234F).

Remove from heat. Pour over nuts, and quickly mix well until the syrup becomes cloudy and hard to stir.

Quickly turn out onto waxed paper or buttered cookie sheet.

Separate into small clusters with 2 forks.

Note: I now use almost 4 cups walnuts with success. Since some of the syrup falls to the bottom of the pan and doesn't coat the nuts, using more nuts uses more of the syrup and yields more of these tasty nuggets. It just depends on how thick a coating you want on the nuts; more coating means more sugary sweetness, but they are just as delicious with a thinner coating.

• JoanM
    14 years ago

I see this thread is mostly about cookies but I have to make Woodie's Creme Brulee French Toast for breakfast every Christmas morning.

From Woodie
    Here's a standby of mine from Epicurious.com. I always use challah.
    CREME BRULEE FRENCH TOAST
    Although the Diehls use large slices from a round loaf of bread and remove the crust, we also tried the recipe with a baguette, leaving the crust on, and found it just as delicious. At La Maison, challah is often the bread of choice.

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 tablespoons corn syrup
    an 8- to 9-inch round loaf country-style bread (Challah)
    5 large eggs
    1 1/2 cups half-and-half
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
    1/4 teaspoon salt

In a small heavy saucepan melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat, stirring, until smooth and pour into a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish. Cut six 1-inch thick slices from center portion of bread, reserving ends for another use, and trim crusts. Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit.

In a bowl whisk together eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, Grand Marnier, and salt until combined well and pour evenly over bread. Chill bread mixture, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 350° F. and bring bread to room temperature.
    Bake bread mixture, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 35 to 40 minutes.

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

Oh, Jenn, they sound good. How far ahead can you make them?

• craftyrn
    14 years ago

Couple that have to be included in my gift trays:
    If I had to do only one it would be the Cuccidati but the kids & grandkids would say Rocky Road Bars.

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Christmas Cookies

Cuccidati Recipe
    ================
    Crust:
    3/4 cup margarine
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    rind of 1 orange
    4 teaspoons orange juice
    3 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    Filling:

1 string of figs
    8 ounces raisins
    8 ounces brown sugar
    1 pound walnuts
    1 pound dates
    1 orange
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    2 ounces whiskey
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1-1/2 cups water
    Frosting:

3 cups powdered sugar
    4 ounces butter
    orange juice
    . .
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Crust: In large bowl, cream together first 3 ingredients. Add orange
    juice and orange rind. In separate bowl, combine flour and baking
    powder. Add to creamed mixture along with vanilla.

Filling: Prepare several days ahead of time. In a food grinder, grind
    figs and raisins. In large saucepan, simmer raisins and figs with brown
    sugar and water for 15 minutes. Grind walnuts, dates, and orange. Stir
    into hot mixture along with cinnamon, black pepper, and whiskey. Remove
    from stove, mix well, cover, and let mellow for 3 days. Note: This
    recipe makes enough filling for 2 batches of crust and can be divided
    and frozen for up to six months.

Roll dough into 3" wide strips on pastry cloth. Lay filling down the
    center and wrap dough to form a long "sausage-like" cookie. Roll back
    and forth until crust seems very thin. Cut in diagonal about every 1
    1/2 inches. Place on cookie sheet close together and bake for 10-13
    minutes. Cookies should be barely brown. Cool and store in tins 5 days,
    then frost.

Frosting: In medium bowl, mix together margarine and powdered sugar
    until well blended. Add enough juice to make a thick glaze. Top cookies
    with a thin coat. Let frosting dry a couple of hours then store in tins
    as follows.

To Store: Line tins with foil, place a layer of cookies, then a layer
    of wax paper (NOT plastic wrap). Keep repeating, ending with foil and
    then the lid.

Italian Lemon Sprinkle Cookies
    ========================
    Taste of Home Christmas Country Style, 2008

6 eggs
    5 cups all purpose flour
    2 cups confectioner's sugar
    2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup shortening
    3 teaspoons almond extract
    1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract

Glaze:
    3-3/4 cups confectioner's sugar
    1/2 cup warm milk
    1 teaspoon almond extract
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Colored Sprinkles
    . Using a heavy-dut mixer, beat eggs on high speed until light and foamy,
    about 5 minutes; set aside in a large mixing bowl, combine the flour,
    confectioners' sugar and baking powder; on low speed, gradually beat in
    shortening and extracts until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Gradually
    add beaten eggs (dough will be stiff).

Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking
    sheets. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes (tops of the cookies will not
    brown, but bottoms should brown slightly).

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar, milk and
    extracts until smooth. As soon as cookies are removed from the oven,
    quickly dip two or three at a time into glaze. Remove with a slotted
    spoon or tongs. Place on wire racks to drain. Immediately top with
    sprinkles. Let dry for 24 hours before storing in airtight containers.
    Yield: About 7 dozen.

Italian Anise Pillows
    =====================
    4 cups flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup margarine/butter
    3 eggs
    5 teaspoons baking pwd
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 teaspoon anise extract
    1 3 teaspoon ground anise seeds
    . Combine ingredients in mixing bowl, mix at low speed with electric
    mixer until well blended. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Shape 1 heaping
    tsp dough into 1 1/2" oval. Place dough 1" apart on ungreased cookie
    sheet. Bake 10 min. or until lightly browned. Store in tightly covered
    container. Makes approx. 5 doz.

Ice with buttercream frosting:

1 1/2 - 2 C confectioner's sugar 2 Tbsp butter/marg milk to make
    spreadable consistency 1/2 tsp anise flavoring pinch of salt

Combine ingredients until spreadable consistency.

Decorate frosted cookies immediately with holiday or colored sprinkles

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Christmas Cookies

Rocky Road Bars
    ===============
    Base:
    ½ c butter
    1 ounce unsweetened choc , chopped
    1 cup flour
    1 cup sugar
    3/4 cup chopped nuts
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 eggs

Filling:
    8 ounces package cream cheese, softened ( reserve 2 ounce for frosting )
    1/4 cup butter , softened
    ½ c sugar
    2 tablespoons flour
    ½ tsp vanilla
    1 egg
    1/4 cup chopped nuts
    1 cup choc chips

Frosting:
    2 cups miniature marshmallows
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup milk
    1 ounce unsweetened choc- chopped
    3 cups sifted powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    . Preheat oven to 350 degrees-Grease & flour 13 x 9 in pan.

In lrg pan over low heat melt the ½ c butter & 1 oz unsweetened
    chocolate, stirring until smooth.. Remove from heat & add the 1 c flour
    & remaining base ingredients. Spread in prepared pan .

In small bowl combine filling ingredients except the 1/4 c nuts & the
    choc chips. Beat until smooth & fluffy-stir in nuts. Spread over base &
    sprinkle with choc chips. Bake for 25-30 min. then sprinkle with the
    mini marshmallows & continue to bake for 2 min.

Make Frosting: In lrg saucepan over low heat combine the butter, milk
    ,1 oz of chopped unsweetened choc & the reserved cream cheese; stir
    until well blended. Remove from heat & stir in vanilla confectioners
    sugar-blend until smooth & spoon warm frosting over marshmallows.
    Lightly pull knife thru frosting & marshmallows in wide curves to
    marble. Makes 48 bars

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Candy & other confections

Sugarplums
    ==========
    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup finely chopped pitted dates
    1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
    1/4 cup finely chopped dried apricots
    1/4 cup finely chopped dried figs
    1/4 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts
    2 tablespoons brandy
    1 tablespoon apricot preserves
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground clove
    1/3 cup sugar
    . Line a small baking sheet with waxed paper. In a food processor,
    combine the dates, walnuts, apricots, figs, pistachios, brandy, apricot
    preserves, cinnamon and cloves. Pulse until the mixture begins to clump
    together.

Using a teaspoon, scoop up a rounded spoonful of the mixture, press
    together, and roll between your palms into a compact ball. Roll the
    round in the sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the
    remaining fruit-and-nut mixture and sugar.

Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour. Store in an airtight container
    in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Makes about 18 confections.

Recipe adapted from Williams-Sonoma Lifestyles Series, After Dinner, by
    Kristine Kidd.

Tiger Bark
    ==========
    1 cup milk chocolate chips
    2 cups (12 ounce) vanilla milk chips or almond bark
    2 cups peanut butter chips
    1/2 cup chopped peanuts
    . . Line jellyroll pan with foil. In microwave, melt 3 types of chips
    separately, stirring until smooth. Pour melted peanut butter chips into
    prepared pan, spreading level. Sprinkle on peanuts. Pour melted vanilla
    and chocolate chips on top, drizzling each randomly. To marbleize, use
    knife to pull through chocolate in wide curves. Refrigerate until set.
    Break into pieces.

• jenn
    14 years ago

cloudy_christine,

I really don't know, I've always given them the same day, or kept them in a sealed container and gave them within a few days. However, the ones we kept for ourselves still tasted great a week or so later. The texture of the hardened syrup may change a bit, but I don't recall anything in particular I didn't like.

Hope you like them!

Jen

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Christmas Morning Cinnamon Rolls

Easy, cheater recipe and it freezes well!
    (makes 24 good sized rolls)

DOUGH:
    1 yellow cake mix
    5 c. AP flour
    2 pkg. yeast
    2 1/2 c. warm water

FILLING:
    1/2 cup softened butter
    Brown sugar and cinnamon to taste
    Nuts and raisins optional

Mix all dry dough ingredients. Add water and mix well.
    NO KNEADING.
    Let rise about an hour until double.
    Divide dough in half and roll each into rectangle.
    Spread with filling (butter, then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, add nuts and/or raisins if desired)
    Roll up from long side
    Cut into 12 slices.
    Place cut side up in sprayed/greased 9 x 13 pan.
    Let rise again about an hour (till double)
    Bake at 325 for 25 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE!

Can frost with cream cheese frosting if desired or just warm and serve dripping with butter! Yeah, this is one of the decadent once or twice a year treats!!

Deanna

• Cathy_in_PA
    14 years ago

Mike, thanks so much. My son searches for "doubles" so I'm sure he'll appreciate the stacking effect:)

All of these #1's sound really great and festive!

Cathy in SWPA

• busylizzy
    14 years ago

Whoops! The Michigan Rocks use 1 1/2 lbs Dates, the same as Walnuts.
    So much fun typing up recipes that are handed down, hand written, lol

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

Thanks, Busylizzy. And eight eggs is right?

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Does anyone on the CF make Cinnamon Bunns ( Sticky Buns )
    All I see is Cinnamon Rolls ???

LOU's Cinnamon Bunns

• compumom
    14 years ago

My most requested recipe for the holidays are Spiced Nuts.
    Although the recipe calls for evaporated milk, I've subbed fresh milk (2%) with little problem. However in order to be true to the recipe I usually use the canned milk.

Spiced Nuts

1cup sugar
    6 Tablespoons canned whole milk
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    ¼ (one quarter) teaspoon salt
    2 cups pecan halves

Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt and milk together in a saucepan. Boil to a soft ball stage (200° on a candy thermometer). Remove from heat. Add vanilla and nuts. Stir until mixture is grainy and turn out on to waxed paper. Separate nuts when cool and store in airtight container.

• busylizzy
    14 years ago

Yes, 8 eggs
    Make sure the cookies are throughly cooled before you put on the powdered sugar.
    What I do is get a big tupperware bowl with a lid put in 10X sugar toss the cookies in and shake.

• Fori
    14 years ago

I love this, and try not to make it a tradition because I'll eat too much...but if I have an excuse to give it as a gift...

Last year I covered chunks with caramel rolled in pecans to sort of copy the style of See's pecan logs which don't have a nougat center like most (and which my dad adores). A good way to accidentally eat more than intended.

Burnt Sugar Fudge

6 c. sugar
    2 c. half and half or light cream
    1/4 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 c. butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 c. chopped pecans

Put 2 c. sugar in heavy skillet; melt over low heat until sugar liquefies and turns a light golden brown (don't scorch).

Combine 4 c. sugar with half and half in 3-qt. heavy saucepan. Bring to boil stirring constantly. Then slowly pour the melted sugar into saucepan mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, to softball (238).

Remove from heat and vigorously stir in baking soda. Mixture will foam. Add butter without stirring. Let stand until lukewarm (110). Add vanilla and beat until mixture loses its gloss. Stir in nuts, beat until mixture thickens (Stand mixer works). Pour into buttered 13x9x2" pan. (from Homemade Candy, Farm Journal, Ed. Nell B. Nichols, 1970.)

• mikes100acdreamfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hawk307 Yes, I make sticky buns once in a while. Usually to take to church for Easter morning sunrise service. They're a little messier to make but oh so good.

Compumom I also make a spiced nut recipe at Christmas but mine has egg white, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla and you bake them in the oven. But yours sound really yummy too, I think Ill give it a try.

fori your fudge sound wonderful. my Grother (grandmother) use to make something like it. I can make just about any candy with total success but alas--- real fudge is my one consistent failing point. ( I can make that marshmallow stuff but thats not real fudge) One year I made 5 batches of fudge and none set so I gave decorated jars of really rich fudge sauce away that year. LOL But I just might have to try this one. Maybe since it's not chocolate I'll have a little more luck.

Jenn Do you think your recipe would work with pecans or almonds? I had some sort of fried oriental walnuts years ago that were really good. I can't remember what was in them. Maybe ginger and sugar but I don't remember what else. Then they were fried to make sort of a crispy glaze I believe.

I'm going to be really busy next year trying all these new wonderful recipes :D

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Well, believe it or not, my family's staple is Chex Mix. Just plain old Chex Mix, LOL, gotta have it!

I make the marshmallow cream fudge and my family loves it so I don't bother to beat the old fashioned kind any more. I'm the only one who really liked that anyway.

I make one batch of divinity every year, for Mother. No one else likes that.

I always make molasses cookies, but you have a recipe you like so I won't post mine again, it's been posted a couple of times before.

Oh, and sugar cookies. Cut out and frosted and sprinkled with as many sprinkles as the frosting can hold, LOL. And they have to be made by The Monkey Princess and Bruvver or they are no good.

Annie

• maxmom96
    14 years ago

Here's a different take on spiced nuts. These have always been a hit.

SPICED PECANS

1/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar
    1/4 cup water
    1 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
    4 cups pecan halves

Preheat oven to 350. Butter 2 large baking sheets. Melt 1/4 cup butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add brown sugar, 1/4 cup water, salt and spices. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add nuts to sugar mixture and cook until syrup thickly coats nuts, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.

Transfer nuts to prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Cool. Store in airtight container at room temperature.

These are so easy to make that it makes my problems with Springerle (my nemesis) go a little easier.

• arabellamiller
    14 years ago

Here's my Hanukkah contribution!

Doughnuts. I like them hot with a nice glaze, but my kids prefer them plain.

AM

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Oh yum, AM. I love doughnuts, the homemade ones especially. Elery doesn't like any of them at all, so that just leaves more for me!

Annie

• Fori
    14 years ago

Try it Mike! I'm terrible at candy, but if I obey my thermometer and use the mixer it is doable. The mixer makes it dangerously easy.

I'm still more likely to make an easy toffee because it's very fast. Unfortunately (for me), the ingredients are always on hand...

Almond Toffee
    1C butter
    1 1/4 C sugar
    3/4 to 1C coarsly chopped blanched almonds (I've never blanched anything in my life...and I usually use pecans because I like 'em best)
    6 oz. chocolate chips (optional if you're out of chips, heaven forbid--I sort of prefer it without chocolate but use it on half for the others)

Melt butter over low heat in heavy 3-qt. saucepan, then add nuts and sugar. Turn heat to high, stir rapidly until color changes to light caramel, about 5 minutes. Almonds will start to pop and mixture will have a compact appearance but be fluid enough to pour.

Pour into a slightly warm ungreased 13x9x2" pan, spreading as thinly and evenly as possible, to about 3/8" thickness (may not fill pan completely).

Scatter chips over candy, let them melt, then spread around.

When cool, invert pan and tap it to release toffee. Break it up with a hammer or chef's knife. Eat.

Note: About 1/4 C nuts can be chopped extra fine and sprinkled over the melted chocolate. It makes it a little dressier and less messy to eat.

(Also from Homemade Candy, Farm Journal, Ed. Nell B. Nichols, 1970.)

Doughnuts though. I love doughnuts. I know myself well enough to not even try to make them. What if they were not difficult? I cannot resist fresh doughnuts. They may be the perfect food.

• mikes100acdreamfarm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

fori - the toffee is usually a given here too. I make it like you do with the pecans. I have the same recipe. Never sticks around here long so it's a Christmas only thing. As for the doughnuts love em but hate frying things. So I take the easy but I'm sure not as good way out and buy them once in a while. Although they're getting $$$$ up there these days too. They just opened a Dunkin Donuts in town and although I love them if they're anything like the market prices I won't be able to afford enough to be too dangerous. LOL

Thanks for the encouragement fori. I believe I'll give it a try. Although the fudge sauce years back --- even a kitchen aid mixer wouldn't fix that :> But where there's a will and time involved there's a way.

• shaun
    14 years ago

My family is always looking out for the Microwave Peanut Brittle each Christmas.

Here is the recipe I use, ... can't recall where I got it but I've been making it for years and years.

~Microwave Peanut Brittle~

1 c. sugar
    1/2 c. white corn syrup (Karo)
    1/2 c. dry roasted (unsalted) peanuts
    1 tbs. butter
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. baking soda

Grease cookie sheet and keep warm in oven.

In a 2 qt microwave safe bowl, mix sugar, peanuts & Karo Syrup. Microwave on High for 4 minutes. Then stir. Microwave 4 mins longer. Then add butter and stir. Microwave 2 minutes. Add baking soda and vanilla and stir. Pour onto the warm/greased cookie sheet, spread with spoon until thin. Cool and then break into pieces.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Shaun - I thinkn that is Marilyns (DaninIN) recipe - at least that is who I have it attributed to.... and I make that one a lot at the holidays also - jsut not today when the humidity is 100%!

Alexa