Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sour dough starter

Posted by Lindac (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 1, 11 at 1:04

Went to see Wicked tonight ( great show!) and walked into my house about 30 minutes ago to the heavenly smell of yeasty dough.
I mixed up some of the starter with some water and more flour and left it to do it's thing while I was gone.
Tomorrow I will add more flour, knead it a bit and bake it....
I think it's strong enough to raise bread on its own now!!

If I could make a candle that smells like that dough smells, I would be rich!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sour dough starter

I use a type of starter called "Everlasting Yeast" that became popular over 100-years ago. In the evening I add flour/water/agave nectar to the mixture and set it in the oven with the light on to keep it warm while it works it's magic overnight, and make bread the next morning. At some point in the evening before I go to bed, it's not uncommon for me to open the oven and take a deep whiff of the starter. You're right a candle with that smell would be lovely. ;-)

-Grainlady

o

Uh....not quite ready to raise a loaf by itself.....but It'll make good crutons.

o

Linda, Just add a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of yeast to give it a boost. Do that until you are sure it is ready to work on its own.

In fact many commerical bread bakers add a small amount of yeast to their sour dough breads for consistency.

Ann

o

Yeah! It�s a great ready-to-eat recipe; it saves me from that kitchen mess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here