SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulsmth2

Apple Crisp - My Way

paulsmth2
9 years ago

On another thread we were looking at Amish recipes. I looked with interest at the apple crisp recipe. This brought back a fondness for apples that I had lost for too long a period of time. There are a zillion recipes out there for apple crisp and most of them use oats in the topping part of the recipe. I do not care for oats.

I made up my own version of apple crisp with no topping. This lead me to a tart type of approach using a pan with a removable bottom and fluted or ridged sides. I then realized that this also was not what I wanted so I kept it simple and just stayed with the apple part of the recipe and then added a variation to a bourbon sauce recipe which I liked and this approach worked for me.

The first time I substituted an apple jack brandy for the bourbon. The second and subsequent times I have substituted another apple brandy for the bourbon...Calvados. I now have something very simple and delicious.

It is an easy step to move to a cherry or some other type of dessert. I order cheeries from Oregon fruits website. Why... because it is the only source for tart red cherries I can find. Especially because it is the only source for one of my favorite berries...boysenberry. Boysenberry makes a terrific milkshake. I have to place an order soon to make a boysenberry twist for the holidays. I will substitute Creme de Cassis for the bourbon in both the cherry and boysenberry dishes. The link is as follows...

http://www.oregonfruit.com/

* Bourbon Cream

1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon bourbon

In a medium sized bowl, beat the cream until it begins to thicken. While beating, add the sugar and bourbon and beat until soft peaks form.

Dollop over servings of apple crisp.

Comments (3)