SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ritaotay

Where does your pineapple come from?

ritaotay
12 years ago

I guess they no longer grow pineapple in Hawaii... If they do I can't find it... Pick up any form of Dole Pineapple and check the label... They all say "Country of Origin: Thailand, Indonesia or some other part of the Philippines"... Ok now check out fresh Del Monte Pineapple... It comes from Costa Rica!

The Del Monte site says they're in San Francisco, CA and the Dole site implies it's in Thousand Oaks, CA... If they're both American companies WHY AREN'T THEY SELLING PRODUCTS GROWN IN AMERICA???

Sorry, didn't mean to yell... Yes I did, it totally ticks me off! They tell you to buy American but you can't find it anywhere... They tell you to eat healthy so you read the labels and what do you find... YOUR FOOD COMES FROM SOME OTHER COUNTRY!

Sigh... That, still on going, rant got me to check out some other sites... Namely the USDA ( United States Department of Agriculture )

Sigh... Here's what I found on the Country of Origin Labeling (aka "COOL")

Are places like fish markets and butcher shops required to provide COOL information?

No.

Why are processed foods excluded from COOL requirements?

The definition of a processed food item developed for the rule has taken into account comments from affected entities and has resulted in excluding products that would be more costly and troublesome for retailers and suppliers to provide country of origin information.

Should turkey be labeled with the country of origin in the grocery store?

No

For more info check out the link below.

Rita

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA

Comments (9)