SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Have I ruined my mascarpone?

I was making a big batch of mascarpone to make a big batch of Tiramisu. After taking a cheese making class last year I tried making my own last year and it worked great. (it was not covered in the class, I looked it up online). But though I wrote down the proportions and the process, I failed to write down what it should look like, and it does not look right.

Here is the basic recipe:

� 2 cups heavy cream (not ultra-pasteurized)
� 2 cups whole milk
� 2 tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice

In a large saucepan, heat cream over over medium heat to a low simmer, until it reaches about 190F .

Stir in lemon juice and continue to cook for 5 more minutes, keeping it right at about 190F. You may have to turn your burner up and down to keep the temperature constant. Mixture will thicken to the consistency of gravy.

Remove from heat and let cool. Mixture will continue to thicken.

Line a sieve with a clean tea towel or several layers of cheesecloth and set over a bowl. Pour cream mixture into sieve and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours.
+++

Now ....as soon as I added the lemon juice, it curdled, certainly not thickening into the consistency of gravy. I have had it out on the counter cooling for an hour now; still curds and whey: LOTS of whey, and small amount of soft very small curds. If I were to put it into a tea towel (last year I used a vintage linen dish towel set in a colander over a bowl), and start draining it now, 90 % would run right through. I don't recall it looking like this at all! But I just don't remember this part. I would have barely anything to make the cheese with, and last year I had a good pound or more once it was drained. Thanks for your help.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022