Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chocolate Covered Cherries

Posted by janice__indiana5 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 07 at 0:33

A couple years ago someone posted a recipe for Chocolate Covered Cherries. I made them several times, and they were great! I would like to make them again. I can't find the recipe. Would someone like to share their recipe?

Janice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chocolate Covered Cherries

I know that there have been a few different chocolate covered cherry recipes posted over the years. Here is one that I like.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Truffle Wrapped Cherries
========================
Source: Recipes Only 1990

The ultimate dream of a true chocophile. A cherry surrounded by a smooth, rich truffle mixture and tipped in chocolate.

Truffle Mixture

1/3 cup Whipping cream
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
4 squares Semi-Sweet Chocolate
24 Maraschino Cherries w/ Stems

Chocolate Coating

6 squares Semi-Sweet Chocolate

Truffle Mixture

Combine cream, butter and sugar; bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat; add chocolate. Stir until melted. Chill mixture until firm enough to handle, 3 to 4 hours. Wrap each cherry in about 1 teaspooon truffle mixture. Chill

Chocolate Coating

Partially melt chocolate over hot water. Remove from heat and continue stirring until completely melted. Dip cherries in melted chocolate; place on waxed paper lined tray. Chill to set chocolate. Makes 24 cherries.

o

Ann, you are positively dangerous with that camera. :)
Wow.

o

Oh Anne, those look wonderful! I will try this recipe! This isn't the recipie I used before, and not what my brother is expecting :( Aynone else care to share their recipe? I was probably posted 3-4 years ago.

Janice

o

Oh my! Ann....

They're simply sinful!!

Lucy

o

Maybe it was the recipe that Marilyn posted that you are looking for.

* Posted by Tracey_OH (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 8, 05 at 11:56

Here's Marilyn's recipe. I made these and they are really good. The only caution I have is to not use too much fondant when you wrap it around the cherry.

Chocolate Covered Cherries
8 tablespoons butter (melted)
6 tablespoons corn syrup
3 jars Maraschino cherries (with stems)
1 can Eagle Brand Condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 pounds powdered sugar
2 tablespoons shortening
12-oz. pkg. semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
Blend together butter, syrup, milk and vanilla and add sugar. Knead and form into balls. Put cherries inside of balls (flatten each ball, set cherry in center and fold dough around cherry) and set in freezer for 1 hour. Melt shortening in the top of a double boiler. Add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Dip cold cherries in chocolate and drop on waxed paper. Makes about 125 cherries. Cherries become juicy as they set.

o

I have used Marilyn's recipe that annT posted to make these. hand dipped chocolate covered cherries
But now I'm going to make the truffle ones, those look so decadent, I need to make 350 for my sons New Years Eve Wedding...

o

It's been years since I've made chocolate covered cherries but I do remember that the cherries have to be completely dry before wrapping them in the fondant or you'll have a mess on your hands... I'm not sure if it's the same with the condensed milk fondant... I used to buy my fondant from Kitchen Glamour.... ( shows ya how long ago that was... lol )

Rita

o

Marlilyns recipe is the one I have used for years. But I got it somewhere else! goes to show you that good things can travel far. Sue

o

Well I haven't tried Marilyns..but I love Ann's! Yummm..that truffle center is a huge suprise..

o

Oh, I must try these for our party saturday! Especially since I'm already making truffles and cocolate dipped strawberries so I'll have all the ingredients ready to go.

o

Ann; I started to make your truffle cherries, and I have a chocolate (but yummy) mess on my hands. I was inturupted and the truffle mix had to stay overnight in the fridge, so it was to hard at first, then it warmed up, but now it is to soft to form easily around the cherry, I have a sheet of them in the fridge chilling, but I still have some of the mix waiting, any hints on how to form the mix around the cherry?

o

I had trouble with it too..seemed when things started to warm up..I had to keep putting it in the fridge.

Here's a few things to try..
Freeze the cherries..and keep the "truffle" bit on ice..or atleast on a bowl over ice water..

o

thanks Terri, I will keep trying, they looks SO good..

o

I'm in the process of making Ann's recipe and also having the melting issues. I put the cherries in the freezer prior to continuing, that helped a lot. I'm making a few at a time and transferring them to the freezer, then when they get firmer I'm rolling them a bit to smooth out.
I haven't started the dipping and wonder how Ann got the bottoms so nice... without the pooled chocolate.
I can't wait to eat them. The finger lick here and there awakened my sweet tooth big time!

Deborah

o

well I got mine dipped finally, I tried to roll them to smooth them out, but did not do very well. They are HUGH! not that that is a bad thing, but they are SO BIG....
Since I have to make 350 I'm going back to Mayilryn's recipe for the rest,cause I know I can get alot done, quite fast. I have about 50 truffle ones. ANN come and give us some help, since yours look so fabulous...

o

I still haven't dipped my cherries yet...decided to make Coconut Bon Bons and dip them at the same time.
I've made the Coconut Bon Bon recipe a number of times and yet...it's hand written by a friend and it reads: 1 Eagle Brand milk. I had the sweetened condensed out, put it back and used evaporated milk instead. As I'm pouring it into the mix, I thought "Eagle Brand doesn't make evaporated milk." Ugh! I stopped pouring, yet used enough that the mixture is thinner (much thinner), added more (much more) powdered sugar to stiffen it up, slipped it into the frig for a couple of hours. Finally got them rolled into balls, could only roll two, rinse and dry my hands, roll two more. What a time waster!
So, I was hoping Ann would let us know what tips she might share with the dipping process...How do you make them look so "package" beautiful?

Deborah

o

Sorry, I'm so late getting back here. I worked yesterday and in my spare time I'm still digging out of boxes.

I guess I should have mentioned that they are a pain in the A$$ to roll. BUT, they taste so sooooo good that it is worth the effort.

As mentioned above, it is important that the truffle mixture is cold, because it softens quickly. Once they are covered I put them back in the fridge to firm up. If need be once they are cold you can shape them a little better too. No secret to dipping. Just dip, let any excess chocolate drip back into bowl and then place on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.

Happytime, I wonder if the cherries you were using were oversize?

Ann

o

Ann; Thanks for checking in, I may have exagerated on the size, but here is a pic, the truffle ones on the right, fondant on left, I guess I could not, no matter how cold I had both the cherries and ganache, get them smooth,like the fondant covered ones. DH, who while watching questioned me about changing the recipe,said that they did not look so great. But after they hardened, he snuck one and said WOW these are great. It's just that yours look so smooth, maybe my hands were hot yesterday..
chocolate truffle cherries on right

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here