Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Purchased Great Toaster in Past Year?

Posted by blueiris24 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 25, 11 at 23:56

I am looking for a toaster that will make my DH happy.... and every place I check reviews there are people who love one model and then others that hate the same model and it's making me crazy. We have a toaster oven that friends purchased for us and he absolutely hates it mostly because it takes soooo long to toast. When I ask friends about toasters they purchased that they like, many purchased them long ago and those models are not currently available. So, has anyone recently purchased a toaster that makes them happy? These are the criteria: needs to toast 2 slices of bread at the same time, needs to have wide enough slots to toast bagels as well, needs to toast evenly in under 5 minutes. It doesn't matter what the design is. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Purchased Great Toaster in Past Year?

I have my eye on this one from Williams and Sonoma. But it clocks in at $250.00, way too much for my pocketbook! I'm using two hand-me down ones for when I need four slots, lol! If I do splurge on an appliance, I think it will be a toaster oven due to the shortage of counter space in my kitchen and the multiple uses I could get out of it. But a girl can dream!

o

Yes, I did. I wanted a long slot toaster with two slots and ended up with the Haier, purchased from Amazon. We like it very much, have had it for a little more than a year.

Cj

Here is a link that might be useful: Haier Long Slot Toaster

o

Was in the same dilemma. I'm not into bread but passionate about toast and/or toasted things.
I was ready to spend some bucks! to serve my passion but after reading reviews on Amazon I was totally befuddled.
So one day I just said screw it and bought a cheap(ish) Hamilton Beach (model 22602) at Meijers. I had to run it a few times to get the chemical smell to burn off but since then I like it fine. Seems to do all of the above listed. Have no idea how long it will last, I think I bought it btw 6 and 12 months ago.
Course I went back a few months later to buy another one for work and there weren't any. Which is another issue for everything - they change everything constantly!

Good luck.

o

pinkmountain - yikes! that is one expensive toaster! Good luck with that dream! :) CJ - I've seen several of these long slot toasters - what do you need them for? I can see wider for bagels, I was just wondering how those worked. Mary, exactly the same thing happened to me after looking at amazon - more confused than I was before. Thanks for your responses. Anyone else?

o

I have a long slot toaster now that is about to die. It is a Kitchenaid and I've had it for about 13 years. I like the style because any size bread slice will fit. When I make an artisian round loaf I can still toast a slice. The slot is also wide enought for bagels... and I think that not having knobs for adjustments would be a bonus....check it out.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Long Slot toaster

o

Nancy that is more than I want to spend, but if it would truly last 10+ years I'd get it!

o

Got a kick out of the link to the Haier toaster. That piece of toast on the right is representative of why I hate every toaster I've owned and/or used over the past decade. Is it too much to ask, for a toaster to produce toast that is evenly browned on both sides?

o

I agree with foodonastump! I researched and finally bought a mid priced Haier (not the long slot) and most of my homemade bread will not fit the slots....then about half the bread is toasted. It sure seems to me in this day of technology someone could come up with a moderatly priced toaster that would actually toast both sides of bread evenly.

If I want really good toasted bread, I lightly butter the slice and 'fry' it on the middle griddle of the gas range!

Good luck. If you do find that miracle machine be sure and let us know which one it is.

o

Toasters drive me crazy and I went through several. So, I bought a Black and Decker toaster oven for $55 that fits 6 slices (K-mart sale). Anything I want toasted is done perfectly and it also bakes and broils. Baking muffins and potatoes don't waste time and energy in my big oven, and reheating casseroles is done quickly.

Nancy

o

Several years a go I purchased a GE 4 slice toaster from Walmart to replace a fancy brand of some kind with broken knobs. The GE 4 slicer works well to accommodate large or thick slices and bagels. My only compliant was about trying to toast really small sized pieces. They would have to be fished out with tongs sometimes.

It has since gone to live at the college apartment with Daniel and 4 roommates. It gets a rugged workout daily so it must be durable.

Walmart still carries a GE 4-slice toaster. The housing is slightly different. The one I had is a bit retro looking. I suspect the guts are the same. And the price is certainly right.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE 4-slicer.

o

We've been on the hunt for a decent toaster for years. After watching an America's Test Kitchen we ordered this Kalorik. DH, who eats 99% of the toast in the house, says it's the better than the expensive ones we've tried and he's impressed because it's not plastic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kalorik toaster

o

I forget who makes mine but it has been very good. It's lasted eight years and still works fine except the dial for baking just disintegrated last week. My only big complaint, and the reason I would not buy it again, is that it does not "ding" when the toast is done.

I also prefer a TO where the rack slides out when you open the door, but not many do that anymore.

Does your toaster over "ding"?

o

I am watching this thread with interest. I would really like to get a new toaster, because both of mine are too short, I have to rotate the bread to get it to toast. Also neither toasts all that great, but I blame it partly on the rotation. The 10 buck one is too narrow for bagels, that's why I have two sitting on my counter. I'm also toying with repacing them with a small toaster oven. My folks went the toaster oven route about 25 years ago when our 50+ year old vintage toaster gave out, and have never gone back.

o

I like a long slice toaster for my home made breads and also for artisan breads. Longer/wider slices fit fine. I guess I am not terribly picky about whether toast is totally even, so to be honest, I have not even noticed whether my toast is the same color brown overall. Like being able to see how long it will be till it pops up, and I like being able to adjust the darkness with a knob.

My last toaster was a Rowenta, and it lasted close to 15 years before it started toasting 'less good'. Now it's in the camper and the Haier took it's place in the kitchen. :-) I expect it will die altogether one of these days.

Cj

o

Isn't it crazy that it's so difficult to find a good toaster?!

o

I've been happy with my uber expensive Breville. I like that it makes the toasting time shorter if it is already warm. The second person who comes along doesn't end up with burnt toast.

o

All I ask is that is goes "ding" when the toast is done. Is that a thing of the past?

o

. . . . or refrigerator, or stove, or toaster oven, or waffle maker, or crockpot, or food processor, or electric frying pan, or vacume cleaner, or . . . .

o

"Isn't it crazy that it's so difficult to find a good toaster?!"
". . . . or refrigerator, or stove, or toaster oven, or waffle maker, or crockpot, or food processor, or electric frying pan, or vacume cleaner, or . ."

Yes it is. Admittedly, it won't do long slices, but my beautiful curved, (approximately 1954) Sunbeam toaster still works perfectly. It has a knob, and nothing else; the toast goes down by itself and pops up when bread is perfectly toasted on both sides. It never went 'ding', dedtired, but it was a perfect piece of industrial art.

o

"---I have my eye on this one from Williams and Sonoma. ---"

The Magimix by Robot-Coupe Vision Toaster seems like a good idea, but I think the design is questionable.

It tries hard to equalize the infrared ray from the heating elements to hit the surfaces of the toast evenly from very different distance using curved reflectors. If you look at the demonstrations, it does not seem to me that it can toast evenly. It will prbably get worst as the reflectivity of the curved reflector gets less reflective due to age.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here