Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Golden Fruitcake

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 23:42

I've never been a fan of fruitcake. But this cake has me changing my mind. Although the recipe is from King Arthur Flour, I found it on one of my favourite blogs - Wives with Knives.

The original recipe uses a combination of fruits, heavy on raisins and other dried fruit and peel.

I don't do raisins so I used a combination of dried cranberries, apricots and walnuts.

I ended up with three small loaves and two large. The loaves were brushed with rum, and when cool, I brushed them again and then wrapped them in rum soaked cheesecloth before wrapping in plastic and foil and refrigerating. Over the next three weeks the loaves will be brushed with more rum.

I kept one of the small loaves out for Moe. Brushed again with Rum and wrapped in plastic, it was left sitting on the counter overnight. The flavour of the cake, even in that short of time has already mellowed out. Moe has given this cake five stars. I think I might make another batch, all small loaves, same fruit and nut combination and brush with an orange brandy instead of rum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Fruitcake Recipe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Golden Fruitcake

Wow, I'm with Moe and giving it 5 stars, too, and I haven't even tasted it yet (aside from mentally licking my monitor)!
Thanks for sharing!
Smiles,
Sooz

o

Love it. Light (aka golden or white) fruit cake always reminds me of my dad. His mother made white, instead of dark, fruitcake, so I always made white fruitcake for him and dark for mom. This one looks like a winner - especially with your changes and eliminating the large amount of raisins. Ironically, the recipe I made for my dad didn't have raisins in it either. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

-Grainlady

o

Ann that looks like a fruitcake I would enjoy, also perfect for holiday gifts. How "small" was the small loaf pan?

o

Thanks Sooz. Grainlady, I'm sure I would like the cake you made for your dad, since it doesn't have raisins.

Sharon, the small loaf pans are kind of mid size. I measured them for you and the inside measures 5 3/4" X 3 1/2 X 2 1/4. Mine are imilar to the ones in the link.

~Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

I was one of the very few kids who like the stereotypical fruitcake that my grandmother always had during the holidays.

A few years ago, made Alton Brown's "Free Range" fruitcake. Lots of real/dried fruits, simmered/marinated in some kinda syrup with lots of BOOZE in it. It was NOT inexpensive to make... dried cherries and other fruits don't come cheap. But it was very good.

o

Ann, I saw that recipe on her blog too, and saved it to try. With yours and Moe's 5 star rating I mey be trying it sooner than later! LOL

Linda

o

Ann, I saw that recipe on her blog too, and saved it to try. With yours and Moe's 5 star rating I mey be trying it sooner than later! LOL

Linda

o

Ann,

The fruitcake looks wonderful. My late DMIL used to make a golden fruitcake when DH was a boy that he has always fondly remembered. Sometime in the early 80s I found a recipe for "Golden Fruitcake" in a magazine. It was an advertisement for Sunmaid golden raisins. I've made the cake for him almost every holiday season since. It's beautifully moist as your looks and quite yummy. I showed DH your photo a couple minutes ago and told him, "Hon, this is as close as you're going to come to having that fruitcake this year!", since we don't have a kitchen/house at the moment. :)

Nice photo. You don't see Golden Fruitcake very often.

/tricia

o

Thanks Ann.....on my list to bake this week. I'm toying with buying those disposable aluminum pans...do you think they will be OK? I've never baked in them and worry about their ability to transfer heat well without burning.

Maybe I should just buy a couple of proper small loaf pans.

o

I think I'm going to make a batch this week. It looks excellent.

Sharon, I've been using the foil pans for breads that I sell at the farmers market. No problems and I love the ease. You can put them on a cookie sheet if the thin bottom scares you, that also makes them easier to move around.

Nancy

o

Good info Nancy!!!! Thanks

o

Thanks for posting Ann. It is a good idea for gifts, like the color too and I can use the small sized pans.

Silvia

o

Add me to the list that thinks this looks really good. I'm not crazy about raisins either but love the idea of dried apricots.

o

Sharon, No reason why you can't use the foil pans. If you are concerned you can also double them up. And like Nancy, I put my regular loaf pans on a cookie sheet.

I bought more dried fruit today and will make another batch next week. I'm adding dried pineapple to the mix along with the cranberries, apricots and walnuts. I tasted the pineapple first and didn't mind the flavour or the texture.

Still thinking of using orange brandy.

~Ann

o

Not a big fan of fruitcake either but this one looks interesting. I might make it for my relatives that are fruitcake fans. What can I brush it with instead of rum? (some don't drink alcohol and one is a recovering alcoholic)
Thanks for sharing.
Clare

o

Clare, Make a simple sugar syrup and flavour with vanilla or rum extract. Or some other favourite flavour.

You could also make a simple syrup using apple juice instead of water.

Ann

o

Ann - Thanks. I think I will make a simple sugar syrup with maple syrup. That would give it a good flavor I think.
Clare

o

Found a recipe for maple syrup simple syrup.
Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Maple Syrup Simple Syrup Recipe (Sugar Substitute)

o

Fortunately I'm a fan of raisins - any kind. So I will make one of your fruitcake recipe with raisins and one without, and see which wins for the judge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here