Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Altiva 18/10 Stainless pans?

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 1, 09 at 23:21

Hey all

My DMIL just got a set of these and asked me if I knew anything about them. I can't find much at all - just that the company seems to be owned by Sears, and someone who posts on Allrecipes.com likes them for a smooth surface stove.

Are you familiar with this brand? Would you recommend them to a friend? An enemy? (okay, just kidding on the latter LOL)

Thansk in advance for any info!

Alexa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Altiva 18/10 Stainless pans?

Alexa:
I saw this and thought it might be helpful.
LOU

What is 18/10 Stainless Steel Cookware?
If you browse through any display of fine cookware, you're likely to see "18/10 Stainless Steel" advertised as if its a benefit for the cook. However, most people have no idea what this designation actually means. Learn what 18/10 stainless cookware is so that you can decide for yourself if it's a priority for your home cookware.

What Makes Steel Stainless?

Stainless steel is one of the most popular materials for cookware because it is smooth, doesn't stick easily, is resistant to corrosion, and because its natural gleam is very attractive. But what makes stainless steel different from regular steel?

Steel itself is an alloy, or combination of different metals, that is made up mostly of iron. Steel is made harder and more durable than iron by adding other metals such as carbon. However, steel remains prone to corrosion, rusting and pitting easily which is far from ideal in cookware.

In order to make steel more suitable for use in the kitchen, another metal is added to the alloy chromium. Chromium has a chemical property that causes the steel to react with elements in the atmosphere, forming a protective layer over its surface. This protective layer resists corrosion, far removing the chance of stains and rust marring the surface of your pans.

The first number in 18/10 stainless steel refers to the percentage of the alloy that is made up of chromium. In order to be considered stainless steel at all, that number must be at least 10.5%. A higher value of chromium means that the protective layer will be thicker and will repair itself more quickly if damaged. Therefore, 18/10 stainless steel has a high level of chromium, and will be more resistant to staining and corrosion.

What Makes Stainless Steel Bright?

Chromium alone is not enough to create the most durable and beautiful stainless steel cookware possible. The addition of another element to the alloy increases the effectiveness of the protective layer that forms over the steel surface, and also makes the cookware gleam more brightly. That element is nickel.

The second number in 18/10 stainless steel refers to the percentage of nickel in the cookware. Although 18/8 also indicates high quality stainless steel cookware, the higher both numbers are, the better the cookware.

In Conclusion

The number 18/10 in stainless steel cookware indicates a very high-quality, durable construction that will be highly resistant to stains, rust, and corrosion while maintaining a bright, attractive shine.

o
RE: Altiva 18/10 Stainless pans?

Thansk Lou - I saw that info when I was searching, but it is pretty generic. Anyone have any additional info on this particular brand?

Thanks

Alexa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here