Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beachlily's Meyer lemons

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 23:15

Yes, I am a lucky woman. A few weeksago Arlene sent me some unripe Meyer lemons, she called them lemon/limes as they were still green like limes and not as sweet as ripe Meyer lemons. I've been using them judiciously, I really like a wedge squeezed into a glass of water, but I was down to just a few and they weren't going to last much longer.

I hauled out Colleen's Lemon Curd recipe, it's the easiest stuff I've made yet and so yummy, and I made lemon curd.

IMG_0641

five jars of it, safely stashed in the refrigerator for lemon filled cookies or to use on pancakes or stirred into yogurt, as topping for muffins or granola, or maybe just with a spoon, straight out of the jar.

It's getting to be colder here, the days are shorter, the skies are grayer, we have about an inch of snow on the ground. In my refrigerator, though, are little jars of sunshine.....

Annie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beachlily's Meyer lemons

They look great!

One of these days I'll have to make lemon curd. It looks so good, and I love lemon anything.

Sally

o

Annie - They look just as you called them little jars of sunshine and I am sure they are very tasty too.

Silvia

o

You are a very lucky and talented woman. Your lemon curd looks fabulous. I haven't made any in a while, but I will soon.

Are those 8 ounce jars and one 4 ounce? How many lemons (or how much juice) did you use for that quantity?

It's getting colder here too, I wish I had some of your sunshine now! But I do have Colleen's recipe and some lemons.

Lee

o

I would eat it right out of the pot! Love lemon curd, and Meyer lemons make it special.

Cheryl

o

Wow, fantastic.

I keep saying I'm going to plant a Meyer lemon tree. I'll have to get some tips from Silvia.

o

I want to try that lemon curd recipe also - I don't think I've ever made it, although I've made something similar. My Meyer lemons are just now beginning to turn yellow, and my Eureka lemons are still very green. My hope is that the Eureka lemons will be ripe when I do not have Meyer lemons, but it might not work out that way, and I may have to just store lemons in the freezer. I'm getting my first limes now, and I'm planning to make a lime pie in the next week or so.

Cathy, you really should not delay in planting a Meyer lemon - do you have other citrus trees? I put my citrus trees in wine barrel planters because I have the wrong kind of soil here, but the banana trees like it.

Thanks for posting such inspirational photos!

Lars

o

Thank you Lars. I know you have encouraged me in the past to plant a Meyer lemon. I planted several citrus trees but none have survived---except the one DH planted in the "shade". I told him duh, we live in FL and you don't know any better than to plant it in the shade. It's 17 years old now but no fruit.

o

Cathy/mustangs and Lars - I have a Meyer lemon tree which I grow in a container. It used to live on our deck in Massachusetts during the summer and come inside during winter. It travelled in the back of my car when we moved to New Mexico. Now it's on our patio for most of the year before we move it indoors. It has one lonely lemon right now. I trimmed it brutally to make it fit in the car, and it is slowly recovering. Before the move it used to give us 10+ lemons a year.

Cheryl

o

I love lemon curd and that is what I make out of my Meyer lemons. I also have a Eureka lemon that I use for other cooking recipes. You can make tangerine or orange curd too. I never have but might give it a try.
Clare

o

Cathy - Wait for the spring to plant a Meyer lemon, we are going to be too cold soon and young citrus trees have to be protected from the frosts.
But I have to warn you that is not the easiest thing to grow because of the bugs and disease, to make a point I have to tell you that most of my neighbors that planted one, either didn't get any fruit or died and they told me that they babied them. Of course this happened before I moved to the area, so I really don't know the conditions.
I think that in my yard it is very important to have at least one lemon and one lime, no matter the kind, because I used them a lot in cooking and I have them producing year round.
The container idea is a good choice for those that cannot grow in the soil because of space or is too cold or like Lars not a good quality soil.
Cathy, I hope to see you a proud owner of a Meyer lemon or another citrus in the future, it is a good investment.

Silvia

o

On of these days I'm going to have a place where I can keep a Meyer lemon tree and then I'm planting one of my own, I love them!

Lee, those are 5 eight ounce jars. The lemons were very juicy, so I actually made a recipe and a half, approximately. Five Meyer lemons gave me nearly 1 1/2 cups of juice, they really were big and juicy, about twice as big as the ones I get occasionally from the grocery.

This is the easiest recipe I've ever used and has never failed a single time. However, if you like it a bit tart (like I do) be sure to taste the mixture, you might want to cut the sugar back a little when using Meyer lemons as opposed to the Eureka type.

Lars, and everyone else who hasn't tried that recipe, I can only urge you to do it, it's easy and delicious. I had some on rye pancakes for breakfast this morning!

Annie

o

If you could post recipe annie love anything lemon too. thanks

o

Glad it's so popular :-)

Colleen's Dead Easy Microwave Lemon Butter

4 oz butter
3/4 cup lemon juice (about 3 large or six small lemons)
1 cup sugar
4 eggs

Peel yellow rind from lemons and reserve. Cut off white pith from lemons, halve them and remove any seeds. Place lemon flesh into blender and whiz into juice (should be more than 3/4 cup due to being fluffy).
Add reserved rind to juice and whiz until finely ground. Place juice/rind mixture, sugar and butter into a largish microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 3 minutes, stirring halfway through. Meanwhile whiz eggs in the blender until thoroughly beaten (this eliminates any white stringy bits). Whisk eggs into mixture and microwave a further 5 minutes, stirring every minute, until thick. Cool and pour into sterilised jars. Store in refrigerator after opening. Makes 4 to 5 medium sized jars.
If you overcook it and it separates (much nicer than "curdles" :-) ), beat another egg and stir in, cook a little longer.

o

I have had your recipe saved for years Colleen, with the intention of making it. Maybe this is just the kick in the pants I need to actually DO IT! LOL

Linda

o

Colleen, I can sure tell you that it's popular in my house and it's especially good with those Meyer lemons!

Annie

o

Thanks for the additional info Annie. Colleen sent me some too, I loved it and it will be the perfect use for the four large lemons that are so bright and yellow on my little potted Meyer lemon tree. This year our tree did so much better transitioning to life in the house for winter. I guess I've learned a few things along the way.

Annie, you should get one next spring and let it live outdoors in the summer. If it can grow in dry, dry, dry Colorado, being tended to with my brown thumb, one will thrive in your care. Life's too short to wait until you live in a year round warm climate, unless you have news you haven't shared here.

Lee

o

No, Lee, I have no intention of moving anywhere warmer, or anywhere other than the farm, for that matter. Heck, I don't even like to go other places on vacation!

I meant that I have no place to keep it inside while I'm here, but at the farm I intend to have a greenhouse or at least somewhere warm and sunny enough that I can bring it inside!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here