SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

A few times I have been asked by people to suggest ideas for their dishes for entering in the Master Chef TV show competition.

This was one contestant's dish: baked beans, coleslaw, and pulled pork sandwich. To me, IMHO, I don't know too much about this kind of TV show competition, but from the few shows I have watched I didn't think this dish stood a chance.

It is not that it was not delicious; I would think that every single entry wouls be delicious. All contestants would be entering with T&T recipes. It seems to me that the dish must be beyond delicious, it must be outstanding, unique and most importantly, camera ready, after all, it's show business.

I didn't want to undo this person's original ideas. So I just suggested some modifications:

Pulled pork - sous vided pulled pork instead of stewed pulled pork to get that juicy tenderness, and then quick BBQed to get that caramelized flavor.

Sandwich - puff pastry instead of bread.

Baked beans - used black beans instead of pinto/navy beans, added a touch of black garlic sweetness and a few drops of white truffle oil.

Coleslaw - basic recipe, except only the cabbage was presented, all the other ingredients were blended into "coleslaw dressing". Cabbage was first quick blenched in concentrated chicken soup, but still crispy, then pickled in the dressing.

Garnished with crispy coleslaw deep fried in bacon fat.

Has anyone tried to enter the Master Chef show?

dcarch

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH