Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tell me about agave

Posted by noodlesportland (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 22:44

I just do not understand this item. I bought some and just do not understand why I would use this instead of sugar. I do not bake often and do not eat sweets much.
Still, what are the advantages of this sweetner?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tell me about agave

Agave made it's reputation as a low-glycemic sweetener, meaning it didn't raise the blood sugar as rapidly as other natural sweeteners (sugar, honey, fruit juice, etc), so it was a sweetener used by people with blood glucose issues. Agave comes in at about 13 on the glycemic index of foods while honey is 70 (charts and sources may vary).

It takes much less agave than sugar to make things sweet. For instance, I use 1/4 c. agave nectar for a loaf of banana bread. Agave worked well in cooking and especially baking because it did the same science sugar did, unlike chemical or no-calorie sweeteners. Agave feeds yeast in breads, browns and maintains moisture - Splenda, Nutrasweet, stevia don't.

I've used agave as a part of a low-glycemic diet since 1999 due to rampant diabetes in hubby's family. In the past few years there has been more research on agave and it's not as good a choice as it once was thought to be. Raw agave - "...refined hydrolyzed 70-90% high fructose inulin syrup metabolized directly to fat and triglycerides in your body, triggers obisity, cardio vascular disease..." Although we haven't personally had any of these disease symptoms or health problems. I believe most of these same health issues have been attributed to using fructose (the chemical crystalized version) and high-fructose corn syrup.

Due to the newer research and information, I still use agave nectar, but in low amounts and only occasionally, but also use other low-glycemic choices - palm sugar, Swerve (Erythritol) and stevia for sweeteners. I react violently when I consume Splenda and have never liked Nutrisweet and other chemical sweeteners, so I tend to avoid them entirely.

-Grainlady

o
RE: tell me about agave

I tried it in tea once instead of a little honey, and I put more & more in - it didn't seem to have any taste at all. I tasted it plain too - maybe it's just my taste buds, but it didn't tast sweet, didn't taste like anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here