SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craftybrat

Homemade foods for gifts?

Craftybrat
15 years ago

I have been having fun this fall making homemade pickles and applecidar, applesauce, applebutter and who knows what else. Does anyone else besides me like to give homemade food stuff. I have a neighbor who does give me stuff ...but she is an extreme health food person and sometimes .... Some is really GOOD too. Anyway how do you feel giving a jar or 2 of food. My hubby thinks it might be cheap....

Comments (64)

• stbonner
    15 years ago

Last year I gave cheap styrofoam coolers filled with quarts of frozen chili, vegetable soup, and chicken soup. I also included some homemade sweet pickles and pickled okra and a loaf of homemade pumpkin bread. I got more comments about these gifts than I did about the gifts that I bought and spent much more money on. Everybody loves to have a great dinner in the freezer for those nights when you just don't want to cook. Everyone who got one of these gifts last year has strongly hinted that they would love another one this year.

• kandm
    15 years ago

My grandmother always had jars of divinity that she would give away around Christmas. I don't think anyone was upset to receive this delicious candy.

• Related Discussions

quick gift ideas

Q

Comments (13)
    And speaking of pine trees... tie a 12" string or weatherproof ribbon to the top of each pine cone; then roll the cone in peanut butter, followed by rolling [and pressing] in bird seed. If you are especially handy and have some scraps of thin plywood, cut them into stars, snowflakes, or any geometric pattern; drill a hole in one corner and use heavy twine or ribbon to make a loop hangar. Optional is to glue 2" lengths of ¼" dowel for perches along the bottom. Pat a thick coat of peanut butter on each side of the plywood shape and then press birdseed and small or cut-up dried fruits to make a pattern. To make them look fancier, tie or staple netting (from onion or potato bags) over the seeded shape. Birdwatchers like these (and have you seen what the catalogs are charging???) My home-made is often potholders; either double-knot crochet or sewn from scraps -- a trick to use a teflon ironing-board cover cut into squares as a liner. Favorites include ones of denim or pinwale corduroy, trimmed with bias tape in bright colors. I've also made them using block-quilt patterns on one side. Which ever, make them 7½ to 8" square unless the recipient has exceptionally small hands. These tuck nicely around a couple jars of jelly in a small basket. A variety of home-made jams and jellies packed in ½-cup jars avoids having to remember who likes which best. I do try to include one of the more unusual ones such as mint jelly, pear honey, yellow tomato jam, or strawberry-pineapple preserves, along with the usual quick'n'easy apple, grape, blueberry. Apple butter is another quick'n'easy which is popular; pack it with a jar of mix for pancakes or muffins.
    ...See More

flavored vinegars for sandpebbles

Q

Comments (7)
    hi Annie i apologize for not getting back sooner. espiecally now knowing that i was in "elite" company...LOL. a tease. :) but seriously, i really appreciate to above and much beyond efforts extended to me. i can't wait to try these recipes. and yes, it's great that cranberries are in season. Yeah...i'm also figuring out the clip this post thing. after finding your salsa recipe and "writing it down" LOL, it occured to me that i have easily have clipped it. anyway, just wanted to express my gratitude. would you be interested in hot peppers...i have seeds. send me an e-mail if interested. P.S. i know it's not necessary...there, i beat you to it. :) seriously, send me an address.
    ...See More

Holiday Food Gifts

Q

Comments (32)
    Got 4 gift packages in the mail yesterday. They should arrive tomorrow. This was really fun. After looking at the goodies though I decided something from the oven was needed. So, made a quick batch of Palmiers using Pepperidge Farms. I took my time, pinched the ends well & was fussy about spreading the tops evenly. They came out beautiful perfect hearts. It was a last minute thing just before DH left to get them mailed so didn't get pictures. Here's the other gifts though... Preserved Lemons, Citrus Salt, Homemade Vanilla, & Grand Marnier Fig-Walnut Butter I'm so pleased with the Preserved Lemons. They have bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, red chili peppers, whole peppercorns, corriander seeds, whole cloves, & Kosher salt. After 30+ days they smell heavenly. I'm going to preserve blood oranges this way when they're available. "Tamaya Blue" & Blueberry Muffin Mix, World Peace Marinated Olives, & Spicy White Wine Whole-Grain Mustard The "Tamaya Blue" is a special roasted before milling blue cornmeal from Pueblo Santa Ana & I used our food storage freeze-dried blueberries, organic powdered eggs, butter, & milk. They're "Just Add Water". The olives have orange & rosemary plus peppercorns. I'll wait until just before Christmas to put the baskets together that will be given from under our tree. All in all, this was more fun than baking all the cookies, probably because it was different for me. I think I'll start planning next year's gifts soon. /tricia
    ...See More

RECIPE: Suggestion for Food Gift

Q

Comments (2)
    How about something like an oatmeal bread? or fruit muffins Cooking Light's Lemon Blueberry muffins If you're using frozen blueberries, there's no need to thaw them before adding to the batter. In fact, they work best when still frozen. 1 1/2 Cups AP Flour 1/2 Cup yellow cornmeal 1/2 Cup sugar 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt 1 cup blueberries 1 Cup buttermilk 3 Tbsp melted butter/margarine 1 Tbsp grated lemon rind 1 large egg, lightly beaten Cooking spray, 1 Tbsp sugar 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees 2. Light spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife. Combine flour and next five ingredients (flour through salt) in a medium bowl. Stir in blueberries; make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, butter, rind, and egg, stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stir just until moist. 3. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray, sprinkle evenly with 1 Tbsp sugar. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the muffins from pans immediately, place on a wire rack to cool. (my oven does these 375 degrees, 14 minutes Dartmouth oatmeal bread.... Proof 1 packet of dry yeast with 2 Tsp sugar in 1/2 cup of warm water. Stir 1 cup of rolled oats ( not instant!) into 2 cups of boiling water Add 2 Tablespoons shortening ( I use crisco.....but bet originally they used lard) 1/2 cup dark molasses Mix and cool Add the yeast mix to the oatmeal mix. Add 5 or so cups of bread flour and knead until smooth. Place in a greased bowl, cover loosley let rise until double....punch down....let rise again....shape into 2 loaves, let rise until double and bake at 350 50 or 60 minutes!
    ...See More
  • coconut_nj
    15 years ago

I love giving and getting homemade gifts. Food or otherwise. A number of years ago we were trying to think of what to give my wifes executives for the holidays. She's middle management and always got nice gifts from the execs just above her. We always found it kind of hard to buy for them. My pecan pies have always been well received so I made them. Ever since then when it gets to be fall the hints start dropping. Her direct boss got switched to a pumpkin pie when he talked about not being able to find a decent one at a bakery anymore. He really loved getting that pie. He retired this year, so we are back to just the pecan pies. One of the CEO's sons have grown up getting the pecan pie and now when they come home from college for the holidays it's one of the first things they ask for. lol.. Can't get much better reception and what an easy thing to make. They ship great too. I usually put one in the boxes I send to family too.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Last year I bought the cheap coolers like a previous post and filled them with enchiladas, soup, chili, etc. for my two sons. I asked them to save me the plastic storage containers and I would refill them.

This year I've planned some of the following to make gift bags for my family and friends:

rice blends
    dip mix
    focaccia mix
    mini poundcakes
    dried soup mixes
    cookies and bars
    cranberry relish
    Jamaican relish (I'll buy a big jar at a deli and portion it out into little jars for storage in the fridge)
    biscotti
    and maybe cinnamon babka if I hit a sale on butter!

• blueiris24
    15 years ago

I gave my neighbors homemade soup and bread one year and they still ask me when I will do that again -- it was a lot of work, but people really appreciated having a meal they didn't have to make during the busy holiday time. I have a question for those who give chicken soup, because I can't remember what I did - how do you take care of the noodles in the soup? Do you give those separately? I worry about them getting mushy before the soup gets eaten.

• compumom
    15 years ago

Every year I make candied pecans for co-workers, friends and some of the family. Many times now, it's by request! As some of us (including me) cannot eat nuts, I make something else to go with the package when I'm not sure or if all involved won't be able to enjoy.

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

Candied pecans? Like my spicy bourbon pecans? Those make a wonderful gift, especially since you can fill a pretty container with them for a very pretty goft.

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Do any of you who give the foam coolers filled know anyone who is diatbetic that receives their insulin by mail? My dad does, and boy do those things come in handy!!! We take one on road trips, and the ice packs that come with them. They are reusable as long as they don't get holes in them.

For bridal shower gifts, I have started going to a local amish market and buying assorted spices, ect. I fill one of dad's coolers and add some knitted dish cloths in the kitchen colors, and a few utensils or a baking dish, something small for the kitchen from their registry. It always goes over great! Oh, and I usually wrap it in towels.

I also have a couple of aunts who are alone, one a widow, one never married. They love getting several meal sized containers of soup and cabbage rolls!

Cheap gifts? No WAy!! They take your time and money to make, and are much appreciated.

Tami

• bri29
    15 years ago

Jude~
    I made all the mixes. The gifts in a jar books give instructions for a lot of layered mixes. For example, for the apple oatmeal pancake mix I layered flour, oatmeal, diced dehydrated apples and spices. I didn't make the wooden spoons or mugs though! :)

Bri

• brody_miasmom
    15 years ago

I love to receive homemade gifts. I also give homemade gifts. I've made food, Christmas stockings, soap, and various other things. Over the years, based on requests and my queries, I've learned that my gingersnap cookies are the hands-down favorite and now I only make those.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

A gift of any kind is cool with me....homemade or purchased. I'm in the group that it is the thought that counts. Do I think it is cheap...heck no! Yes, I've received gifts that didn't fit my taste (homemade and purchased) but I was touched by the thought and consideration that went into it. I personally think that's waht counts.

Having said that, yes, I've gifted people with homemade items....baked would be first on the list. Thanks to this forum and Canny Camp it would include canned items also. NOt sure I got it right all of the time but the thought was there and that's what counts in my books....giving or receiving.

I've seen your efforts over the years and would be more than happy to be on the receiving end of anything Diane.

David

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I agree, I got some very original and creative items from Diane, but the most useful was the jar of dehydrated onions! I just loved grabbing some of those when I was in a hurry and cooking something.

I also give homemade gifts, depending on the recipient it can be anything from cookies to fudge to salsa to bread. My boss is disappointed if she doesn't get a "sweet and hot" basket each year contining homemade biscotti and shortbread, some Habanero gold, my salsa and cheese thumbprints with habanero gold jelly in the centers.

I love to get homemade gifts, but don't get very many of them. This year Elery and I plan to make gift baskets for his kids and his Dad and stepmom. I just might do the same for my Mom and stepmom.

Annie

• sissyfran
    15 years ago

I love getting homemade gifts. For k-6th grade I gave each of my dd teachers homemade breads. They get "stuff" all the time and I thought this may be a good solution. After the first year, I knew it was a good idea. One told me that it saved her when her family decided to have brunch at the last minute on Christmas Eve at her house. She'd put it in the freezer and all she had to do was pull it out. I usually gave 1 large or 2 small loaves of different breads. They weren't shy about sharing which they preferred either. It was work to do it for 7 different teachers each Christmas (different teacher for every subject) but I know it was appreciated. What I wouldn't give for some of kandm's grandmother's divinity.

• pat_t
    15 years ago

Here's what I did for Christmas in 2003 when the budget was very tight:

I mailed this to each family member:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Mrs. Claus (aka Pat) is helping ole Santa out this year by trying out a new gift giving concept.

I am baking up some of your favorite goodies to enjoy during the holiday season.

The only thing you have to do is let me know your favorite baked items...you remember how you used to send Santa your Christmas list?

You can't pick them all (otherwise you'll be fatter than Santa) so follow the instructions carefully and enjoy. Santa will deliver your selections ..... in time for the Christmas holidays. Bon appetit!

Mrs. Claus

P.S. Â Requests are welcome and substitutions may occur!

Your Name:_______________________________

2003 CHRISTMAS MENU CHOICES
    Choose one each in the first two groups (Breads and Candy), then as many as you want in the last two. Please return this page to me by November 27th to ensure proper delivery.

Breads:
    _____ Toffee-Banana Bread
    _____ Cranberry Orange Nut Bread
    _____ Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
    _____ Praline Apple Bread

Candy:
    _____ Buckeyes (peanut butter with chocolate)
    _____ Cashew-Cinnamon Brittle
    _____ Snickers Fudge
    _____ White Chocolate dipped pretzels

Cookies:
    _____ Almond Brickle Sugar Cookies
    _____ Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
    _____ Macadamia & Irish Cream Cookies
    _____ Mocha Toffee Truffle Cookies
    _____ Pecan Tassies

Every single year since 2003 they are clamoring for the list to pick what they want. This year I'm including some Habañero Gold jelly and some Cheese thumbprint cookies to have with it in each basket.

• lyndaluu2
    15 years ago

Our friends love it when we give them home maded gifts.
    Pickles, jams, salsas etc.
    They look forward to it each year.

Linda

• arkansas girl
    15 years ago

I LOVE GETTING homemade food gifts! To me they are priceless gifts because nothing store bought comes close to homemade candies, cookies, salsas etc! So in other words, unless I get busy and starts making these myself(not likely), there's no place to go and buy anything as tasty!

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

I love to give homemade items.
    I often do 'themed' gift baskets.

Spaghetti: homemade sauce, package of pasta, bottle of wine, home canned green beans, french bread and maybe brownies for dessert. You can make or buy the ones you wish.

Breakfast: pancake or muffin mixes, homemade jam, jelly or syrups, coffee and/or hot chocolate, fresh fruit.

Snack Basket: (good for college students), variety of homemade cookies, candies, nuts, jerky, fruit. Could also include chips and dips.

Relaxation: Bottle of wine, fancy chocolates, bubble bath, nature sounds tape, big fat fluffy towel (or robe/slippers).

Last year I did a spicy basket for my BIL/SIL.
    Annie's salsa, green salsa, several varieties of dried peppers. I found wide, wire-edged ribbon with chili peppers on it and a chili shaped serving platter.

You can easily make "custom" pancake mix by adding ingredients to your favorite store-bought mix (Krusteaz??)
    Add:
    Apples & cinnamon. Mix with applesauce, not water. (way-to-go-Bri!)
    Finely ground Pecans & Cranberries
    Dried Orange Peel & Cranberries. Mix with orange juice.
    Dried Lemon Peel & blueberries
    Any ground nuts
    Pumpkin pie seasoning (add a can of pumpkin for mixing rather than water)
    Cocoa powder and mini chocolate chips. Good with whipped cream!

Same idea with muffin mixes!

Homemade liquours, flavored vinegars, and yes, THE FRUITCAKE! all make great gifts (you may want to find out if the recipient LIKES fruitcake first...).

I have found that homemade gifts are usually appreciated and used/eaten. Most of us have too much "stuff" already and certainly don't need more! We've all got to eat!
    I am with Lars on this one. Any time someone makes the effort to create a gift with that much love in it, I really like it!! That's what it's SUPPOSED to be about!

Deanna

• amck2
    15 years ago

So many of my friends and family either don't bake, or don't have the time to. For years I have given large trays of cookies and confections to about a dozen people.

There are some families who have built a tradition around them. Some save them for tree trimming night. Another couple who celebrates their anniversary on Christmas Eve go to dinner and save their tray to enjoy by the fire for dessert when they get home. Some families have established "hi hosies" on some favorite items...my MIL won't share the penuche fudge, for instance.

The whole process - from purchasing the ingredients and trays, prep & baking, to packaging and delivering - is time consuming and not inexpensive. But these are the gifts I most enjoy giving each year because they are so appreciated.

• dedtired
    15 years ago

What the heck is a "hi hosie"?

I used to give homemade buttercreams to my kids teachers.I always got a thank you note asking for the recipe.

I don't have time for home made gifts now, butI am happy to accept aany kind of holiday breads.

Here's a pet peeve of mine. People will put an assortment of homemade cookies on one plate and cover it with plastic wrap. Within a day, the taste of cookies blends into one unidentifiable taste. It all tatses alike. Everything ends up getting kind of soft as the moisture from the wetter items migrates to the crispy ones. Anyway, I guess I have my nerve (a hi hosie??)whining about what others do when I don't do much home made at all!

• lakeron
    15 years ago

Early last year I created a dip and gave a tub of it to the bartender at my tavern to try. At Christmas all the bartenders DEMANDED that they receive a tub for their gift.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Oh man! Wrong Crafty...welcome to the forum Craftybrat! I thought you were Craftyrn/Diane..a long time poster/friend here. Again, I think homemade is great and it is the thought that counts.

David

• KatieC
    15 years ago

I do homemade for almost everyone on my list...even if they get 'real' presents.

Several years ago at our Christmas party I put out a basket full of thank-you jams, salsas, chutneys etc. for my volunteers. It's pretty much tradition now. One of my trustees went to the fair and saw that I hadn't entered anything...went into a panic because she was worried I wasn't canning. Apparently she considers my fair entries a Christmas preview, lol.

I love getting homemade gifts (though some of the plates of goodies that get dropped off at the library are too scary to eat). Everyone's so busy anymore...the time spent is what's appreciated.

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

Well, you know, detired, you could always take the cookies off the plate and put them into their own separate containers.

• Seasyde
    15 years ago

A good friend of ours hosts a house party/cookie baking weekend every December. Everyone brings their own ingredients and we spend the entire weekend baking cookies. The house smells wonderful! Last year there were 14 kinds. On Sunday afternoon we divvy up the cookies.
    There are waaaay to many cookies for the two of us so we make up small plates and bring them around to our neighbors. They are much appreciated and people look forward to getting them.
    As for the flavors mingling, we segregate the cookies by type as soon as we get home and only reassemble them on the final plate. We haven't found a way to keep the types separate and produce an attractive plate. Any suggestions are welcome! That said, I suspect the cookies don't last long once they have been given!

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

I think Dances in Garden has described packing her cookie types in paper ruffly cups (like cupcake papers or similar) to keep them separate.

• Seasyde
    15 years ago

Thanks colleenoz! I never would have thought of that. Lets just say that presentation isn't one of my strong points!

• lisacdm
    15 years ago

I love getting homemade gifts (or store bought - sort of homemdae). I would never think it was cheap. I love how people put things together, it always amazes me. My daughters and I bake several kinds of cookies each year and give them to all their teachers as gifts. I started off using holiday tins lined with tissue paper. Than paper boxes, last year I used plastic storage container (ziplock has some nice holiday themed items) tied with a ribbon and a bow. I'll often include a handfull of candies scattered in the package.

• amck2
    15 years ago

dedtired - The term "hi hosie" is what kids often use to claim something before anyone else can (as in, "I call hi hosies on the window seat!!." Maybe it's just a regional expression. Calling "dibs" is another way to express it.

My point was that the offerings on the tray I give rarely change from year to year because so many folks count on getting their favorites.

• amck2
    15 years ago

..also wanted to mention that every item is set in its own little candy or cupcake holder. As well as making for a nicer presentation and helping to keep flavors separate, it provides a convenient little plate for the person eating it.

It's too late a tip to use this year, but I usually buy all kinds of those holders during the post-holiday sales for the next year at a huge savings.

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

I always include homemade goodies to my family when I send off their Christmas package. I only give to those who know me and not to those I don't know. Everyone is paranoid today. LOL I have sent marmalade made from my lemon, orange, and tangerine trees. Pear and apple butter, also from my trees. I grow everything organic and don't use any pesticides. I also send homemade old fashion fudge like my Dad use to make from a 1930's recipe. I recently got a book, "Gifts in a Jar by CQ Products" with recipes of what to put in jars and how to decorate them as gifts. I thought about doing that this year.
    Clare

• Craftybrat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for the thumbs up... My hubby says it reminds him sorta of the charity baskets his family got. And I have some family that do judge by how much $$$$ is spent. I asked my kids how they felt about the homemade stuff. They said "It's what you do...." Maybe some day I'll figure out if that is a + or -. They also put in their orders for what they want...:)And they both said not crazy about this years PICKLES:( I'm sorry for being so slow to get back but my 'putor was sick, it's all better now.

• robynpa
    15 years ago

I just posted a request on the Recipe Exchange for Holiday food gifts. Can you please share some of your recipes that you make and give as Christmas gifts?

Thanks!

• dinkans
    15 years ago

Many years ago my husband had a student who brought a pan of homemade dinner rolls for a Christmas gift to school. We loved them - they made a rushed pre-holiday meal very special! I duplicated this gift for years and years while our kids were in public school. A big loaf of French bread was also a well received gift. For "little friends" I often make Teddy Bear Bread (found a neat recipe in a children's cookbook). In fact, I have a 24 year old son who still comes home to make Teddy Bear Bread for select friends/coaches. Peppernuts ( tiny, spicy German cookies) are also something our family makes by the bucket full to share with neighbors and family. (My aunt used to make them for Thanksgiving/hunting season - they were a family favorite to be eaten by the handful!) Cinnamon rolls and fruit rolls have also been gifts for neighbors and friends. AND if I run out of time, sometimes I've been known to give "late gifts" of New Years Eve Cookies or Cherry Pie for Valentine's Day!

• dottieq
    15 years ago

dinkan...would love your peppernut recipe. I too like to give homemade gifts. I consider them very special, full of love and hard work. I have made stolens, bread and butter pickles, hot pepper jelly, nut roles, kahlua hot fudge sauce, English toffee, fudge, and this year I'm giving winter coffee mugs filled with hot cocoa mix and homemade marshmallows.

• dinkans
    15 years ago

AUNT NANCY'S PEPPERNUTS
    1 cup dark syrup
    2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 melted butter
    1 cup cream
    1 teaspoon soda
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    2 teaspoons nutmeg
    1 tablespoon annise seed
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    8 cups flour

Mix the first 10 ingredients together. Stir in the flour. Mix well, dough will be very stiff. Cover and chill (overnight or for several days). On well floured board roll dough to pencil size. Cut into very small pieces (about as long as your little fingernail) and bake on ungreased cookie sheet 8 to 10 mins. at 350 degrees. Quickly remove baked cookies and cool on waxed paper. Store in tightly covered containers. These cookies are best if allowed to "age" several days or weeks. They are especially nice to send, as they are hard and do not crumble. Enjoy!

• dottieq
    15 years ago

Thanks for the recipe..can't wait to try them. Have always loved Stella Doro pfeffernusse..they were so good it wasn't worth making my own but cannot find them in VA.

• jude31
    15 years ago

Sushipup, would you share your recipe for spicy bourbon pecans?

Thanks, Jude

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

Sure. I think I put it in the other thread of recipes for gifts, but that thread didn't get as much play as this one has.

I make about 6 pounds of these for holiday gifts---better than fruitcake!

Enjoy!

spicy Bourbon pecans

1/2 cup good bourbon
    1 lb pecan halves
    1 T. corn oil
    1 T. worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon angostura bitters
    1/2 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350.
    1) in small saucepan, simmer bourbon over medium heat until reduced by 1/4. Blanch pecans in boiling water for 1 minute, then drain.

2) In large bowl, combine bourbon, oil, worcestershire, bitters, sugar. Add hot pecans and toss well. Let stand for 10 minutes.

3) spread pecans in single layer on rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes, or until they are crisp and liquid has evaporated.

4) Transfer to large clean bowl and toss with spices (as follows), about 1-1/2 teaspoon spices, 1/2 t. salt, 1/4 t. pepper.

Spices---Emeril's "Essence" (This makes a lot more than this recipe needs, but I use it for a lot of other things. You can just reduce the recipe proportionally, if you like)
    2-1/2 T. paprika
    2 T. salt
    1 T. garlic powder
    1 T. black pepper
    1 T. onion powder
    1 T. cayenne pepper
    1 T. dried leaf oregano
    1 T. dried thyme.

Store in airtight container.

Hints: the recipe does not work with Splenda. And make sure the pecans are crisp... better slightly overdone than underdone.

• jude31
    15 years ago

Thanks a bunch, sushipup. These will be great!

jude

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

I've been making loaves of the "5 minute artisan bread" and thought it would be a good Christmas gift since it turns out a good looking round. I'd like to include something to go with it...what would be good?

Pam

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

so is everyone baking and freezing right now? Does anyone have a good recipe for sherried pecans? I love the savory ones, but the sweet ones are good too.

• dreamhouse1
    15 years ago

I'm thinking everyone loves homemade food items...any time! People (ya'll) that love cooking are open to new recipes and ideas and can appreciate them because they know that thought, work, and love went into them; and people that don't cook appreciate them, well, because they don't cook and wouldn't have them otherwise!

As for packaging, this year I have noticed in our craft/hobby stores some really new and great packages just for homemade treats. Decorative 'window' boxes that are sectioned, cookie boxes that have seperators so that you can stack cookies w/o them getting stuck to each other. Some really clever packaging. Some taller ones that look like gingerbread houses. I have seen these at Michael's - they had the biggest assortment; Walmart had some; Hobby Lobby, just the standard boxes and cellophane bags. Our Michael's had a great assortment. I think that Martha has a line out at Michael's as well, so check her section along with the general section. Obviously they are more expensive than a paperplate and Saran wrap, but I think they are worth the money as far as presentation and keeping your items preserved and fresh.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

I share baking with neighbours and friends, year around. I'll probably do some baking in the next week or two and if I do I'll share with the neighbours and friends at work, but other than that I don't make up food just for gifts. I'm the odd one out in that I don't care for most condiments so I don't do any canning. But Moe is always happy to have jams given to him and he loves Sharon's Homemade Chili sauce on his Christmas Eve Tourtiere.

Ann

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

I would many times over rather receive a homemade food gift than any widget. I always need to eat, my friends always need to eat, but hardly ever truly need a widget :-) My next-door-neighbor sends a plate of Xmas cookies over every year, and although I don't really do sweets, my visitors always eat them right up.

I would never think of a homemade food gift as cheap. Ingredients are $$$$! I also think the folks who give homemade gifts are enjoying themselves creating the gift, as opposed to the stressed-out-shopper trying to find a perfect widget (in my case, the perfect widget would be a 2.5 carat diamond, so if anyone wants to give me THAT...well, SURE!)

And for those who don't like to bake, a pound of coffee or a nice container of tea would be such a nice gift...

One year, I didn't know what to get my brother, so I made him a Bloody Mary basket. Everything he needed to create his favorite drink, with different mixes and olives...it wasn't cheap, but it sure seemed to be his favorite present that year :-)

A previous coworker grew and canned her own pickles, and a jar of these pickles was coveted by every member of the office every holiday season. Wish I still could get some of those...

If I ever start canning, which I always say I am going to do, I will be so happy to give away my jars of treats to people.

Joanna

• Fori
    15 years ago

I think the most expensive thing I've ever given my dad is homemade fruitcake. The figs, dates, nuts, liquor, currants, apricots, more liquor, butter, etc. really add up. It makes maybe 4 cakes, but ingredients ring up at probably over...yeegads I don't want to do the math. It also takes a quarter of my fridge space for a month or two while things age.

I'll go simpler this year. Many of my relatives don't want stuff, but consumables always work. You can always throw in a nice dish to hold the items, or a bottle of booze to make it a more "finished" gift. (Funny, I always have to include a small token gift with a gift card as well so people don't know how much I spent--not that I'm big on gift cards.)

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Pam, I'd love a loaf of that bread with a bottle of good olive oil and an herb mix for dipping, or a package of homemade soup mix or a jar of homecanned soup.

Or just wrap it in a nice linen tea towel and add some jam, maybe tea bags or hot chocolate mix.

Annie

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I am ambivalent about food gifts: I give away tins of homemade Christmas cookies most years to neighbors and such but I rarely ever receive anything good. I'm always enthusiastically gracious and appreciative though!
    I couldn't begin to tell you the number of times we have received jams and jellies that were awful. Pure sugar and little taste. Or cookies made with margarine and not the freshest. Or something cutsey and yucky like bread in a jar. One time, I was given a gift of fudge in a candy cane shape. Guess what it looked like ?!!
    They all need to hang out here for some tips!
    But I put a lot of effort into giving fresh cookies made right with top notch ingredients and tend/hope to think they are appreciated. I had someone tell me one year "those cookies you gave us, every one tasted really good. Not what I would expect."
    So I hope that is across the board of my cookie recipients.
    I want everything I give to be received as though it were a box of godivas!

• amck2
    15 years ago

bumblebeez - I almost ruined my keyboard reading your post. I had taken a sip of water right when I got to the description of the candy cane shaped fudge. It just caught me off guard and I began laughing, trying not to open my mouth filled with water. I've never had that kind of reaction - always saw it as over acting and slapsticky when someone does it in a movie. But I just pictured you receiving this gift, and what you must have been thinking "Oh jeez..Thanks...It looks delicious!" Just cracked me up!

• busylizzy
    15 years ago

A "tradition" I started a long time ago was to take a wooden mushroom basket, line it with hand made kitchen towels fill with a jam and a jelly a loaf of my Grammy's Oatmeal bread and English muffin bread.
    People have asked to be put on my "list" already this year.
    Unfortunetly I can't get the wooden mushroom boxes free anymore, so I collected all different kinds of baskets this summer from yard sales and friends who were getting rid of them.
    Not enough time for making kitchen towels, so I buy some at the dollar store.

I make about 10 to 12 different type cookies/candies, for the school teachers I take care of them all in one swoop, I deliver a huge cookie tray for the teacher lounge.

The nut or cheese rolls I figure I will be making at least 24 of those for all the requests I have.

I take all the old flour /grains and make doggie biscuits.

Recently I got into making mustards, thought that might be a neat idea also to can up some different mustards in 4oz jars for smaller gift giving tins or baskets.
    Even if you don't can making mustards a very easy and you don't have to can if you mark to refrigerate!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

hee hee, amck, it did taste good!

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living