SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liz_h_gw

Smolking some chickens for Thanksgiving

liz_h
10 years ago

A friend has a new pit smoker that he's only used for red meats. He asked me how long to smoke the chickens. (No, I've never smoked anything.)

It doesn't help that the birds are different sizes; one 4.5 lbs, and two 2.5 lbs. After reading online for a couple of hours, this is what I've come up with. The estimated cooking time is based on the 4.5 lb bird. The smaller birds should cook in about 2/3 the time of the larger. What would be the best way to shuffle the smaller birds in and out? It seems to me that there's going to a lot of opening and closing of the smoker either way.

------------------ for my friend ------------
It's very easy to get rubbery, dried out chicken in a smoker. You don't want to stuff the bird because you can't get the stuffing up to a safe temperature without ruining the meat. I chose the following approach because it's the most reliable.

The day before, split the chicken through the breast and open it up. Crack the back a bit so the bird will lie flat. Salt the outside of the chicken well, and refrigerate overnight. (The overnight part is optional but will give you a juicier bird. It is a dry brine.)

Remove bird from refrigerator and dry the skin. Oil it lightly on both sides. Add generous amounts of (no-salt) poultry seasoning and some freshly ground black pepper to both sides. You want the birds out of the refrigerator for 30 minutes before they go on the smoker.
What you want to do is "smoke-roast" at 350 F (or higher). Put it in your pit breast side down for about 35-45 minutes. Cook it breast side up for another 35-45 minutes. Check it with a meat thermometer. When done, the juices will run clear when you pierce it with a knife tip.

The smaller birds will cook in about 2/3 the time of the larger one.

Comments (8)