Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Indoor Grill?

Posted by johnliu (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 21:44

I want to experiment with small grilled foods and need a grill about the size of a Hibachi (those have grates roughly 8" x 8"). It has to get very hot. And I want to be able to use it indoors. Does anyone have good personal experience with something that might fit the bill? I'm thinking a grill pan for the range, or some electric gadget.

By the way, I am not really looking to sear grill marks, anyway that isn't the goal. Just trying to suspend food over a lot of radiant heat.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Indoor Grill?

My cast iron grill pan gets very hot, I usually pre heat it and later, clean it outside with a grill brush. It does, however, greatly smoke up the house and our basic exhaust fan can't handle it.

o

No personal experience, but check these out:

http://www.amazon.com/Toastmaster-Electric-Rotisserie-similar-Farberware/dp/B002XEQ8WU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1353208074&sr=8-4&keywords=Farberware+Open+Hearth

http://www.amazon.com/Livart-Orange-Grill-Electric-Barbecue/dp/B004GZ29SG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-GC-17N-Griddler-1700-Watt-Rotating/dp/B0030EH7RW/ref=pd_sim_k_4

dcarch

o

Is a grooved griddle pan, which is basically what the countertop electric models are, going to cook the same as an actual Hibachi with an open grate over coals?

o

No.

A grooved griddle pan cannot grill. It basically fries like a frying pan, and give you what looks like grill marks. Only the parts which make direct meat-to-metal contact get charred.

A charcoal cooks by convection, conduction and radiation by infrared. All parts of the meat facing the charcoal get heat and charred. In addition, it gets smoke flavor from fat dripping on the fire.

In the winter time you can do a charcoal grilling in the fireplace with the vent open, or if you have a good enough kitchen exhaust system to do it in the kitchen.

In the summer time you can use charcoal grill inside with the windows open.

A chimney charcoal starter can get very hot for small scale grilling.

dcarch

o

DCArch, I disagree somewhat. You need a cast iron grill pan with the deepest grooves you can find. Then heat it to screaming hot before using it. Any juices that drop on the grooves do send flavor back to the meat, etc. Also cooking the areas between the grates with a similar crust, etc. Shallow grooves and not hot enough pan won't give much different outcome than a frying pan. I have a pretty great hood over my stove so it handles the output fairly well, but ... best to disengage the smoke detector for the duration. Smiles.

I've been terrible about taking pics of anything lately but next time I use the grill pan I'll try to take pics of the food and the pan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here