SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Making Chia Seed Strawberry Jam Less Seedy

bbstx
9 years ago

DD wants to make the following recipe but DSIL would be averse to the crunch of the chia seeds. She asked me what she could do. I know nothing about chia seeds. Could she run the finished jam through the food processor? OR strain it through cheese cloth before it fully sets up? OR (and this would be my advice) find a recipe that does what you want it to do with ingredients that you want to eat. Any ideas?

Quick and Healthy Homemade Strawberry Chia Seed Jam Recipe

Yields: about 8 ounces of jam

Ingredients

2 1/4 cups quartered frozen strawberries, (I like to freeze fresh, ripe strawberries when they're in season!)
1 - 3 tablespoons honey (or coconut nectar, maple syrup, agave nectar, etc. to make vegan)
2 1/2 tablespoons chia seeds

Step 1: Place frozen strawberries and 1 tablespoon of desired sweetener in a medium-sized pot over medium heat.

Step 2: As the strawberries start to thaw, mash them with a fork or the back of a spoon and bring the mixture to a simmer.

Step 3: Reduce heat to maintain the simmer for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until the strawberries are fully broken down and starting to thicken.

Step 4 (optional): For a smooth jam (besides the crunch from the chia seeds), place the cooked strawberries in a blender and blend until smooth. If you want to keep the texture of the broken down strawberries, skip this step. Place the mixture back in the pot over medium-low heat.

Step 5: Taste the mixture and if needed, stir in more sweetener until it's to your liking.

Step 6: Add the chia seeds to the pot and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.

Step 7: Remove from the heat and pour contents into a glass jar. Let cool on the counter for at least 30 minutes. Then place in the fridge until fully chilled. Seal the jar with a tight fitting lid after the jam is fully chilled.

Step 8: Serve chilled and keep sealed in the fridge for about 10 days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Jam with Chia Seeds

Comments (7)