Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ann T, I made Julia Child's scrapple recipe!

Posted by shambo (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 21:11

Ann posted this recipe a while ago, but since I always make scrapple from a Thanksgiving turkey, I didn't try until this week. I think adding the eggs and baking the scrapple makes a big difference. It was much firmer than the all cornmeal version I usually make -- much easier to slice and flip over in the frying pan.

Scrapple Fry Resize 360 Scrapple Resize 360

I doubled the recipe and did not add salt. But I seasoned heavily with thyme, rosemary, pepper, and poultry seasoning. And I used my homemade turkey stock and all the bits of meat left on the carcass. I cut the slices about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick and dredged them in flour. All in all, I'm really pleased with the results and will continue to add the eggs & baking step. So, thanks, Ann, for the recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Julia Child Scrapple Post

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ann T, I made Julia Child's scrapple recipe!

OOOH, that looks really good. Now that I've seen it, I am definitely going to give this a try. Sue, thank you for making it.

~Ann

o

A very good friend of mine from Pennsylvania promised to bring me back some scrapple from a trip back home since I'd never tried it. She raved and raved about it. Well, yuck. It must be a Pennsylvania ridge-runner thing.

o

Rita, I'm not sure I'd like the traditional Pennsylvania Dutch scrapple either. Julia Child's recipe is made with pork sausage, no weird meats. My "traditional" recipe is made with the bits & pieces of meat picked off a roast turkey and the stock from the turkey carcass. Again, no weird meats.

I'm a California Greek and a friend told me about this way of using up the leftover Thanksgiving carcass years ago. Never heard of scrapple before, but once I tried it, I really liked it. It's now a family favorite.

o

Well my relatives are all from WV, and from the way they described it, sounds like it was made from all the trimmings, too. But I took a chance and tried it and just didn't care for it. I'm sure there are different ways to prepare it, but the hill-folk (WV-ians and Pennsylvanians) do it the old fashioned way, from the scraps. And as for trying head-cheese and souse - I think not!!

o

Ritaweeda try the store brand of scrapple called RAPA. Use an iron fry pan and cook slowly to get a yummy crust on the outside while nice and soft inside. I was raised on homemade scrapple, but still prefer RAPA over the Pennsylvania type. Yummy with a piece of toast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here