SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marie_ndcal

Looking for receipe Phillie Cheese Sandwitch.

marie_ndcal
11 years ago

What kind of meat, cheese, grilled onions, etc, sauce, bun??
Had some great ones in NY and also in Arcada CA.
Here in ND---not so good.
Thanks for your help
Marie

Comments (13)

• lindac
    11 years ago

A classic Philly cheese steak sandwich is made from very thinly shaved rib eye.
    You first sautee and caramelize a big onion on a griddle, in a little oil, when the onion is done put thes teak slivers on the hot grill and cook, tossing and chopping as it cooks....when the meat is done, you put the whole mess on a split bun....the bun is key!!...in N.Dak likely the best bet is a Jimmy John's sub bun...split, buttered and place split side down on the griddle for a few minutes to toast a bit, then piled with the meat and onions and topped with the cheese of your choice. I like provolone, some like cheeze whiz and some mozzerella.

• azzalea
    11 years ago

"Whiz" is traditional, I prefer American cheese on mine. And for me? add some sweet bell peppers, and DH wants sauted mushrooms on his.

The real trick, though, is that the meat has to be shaved paper thin. Our delis keep the meat frozen so they can slice it thin enough.

And, of course, the roll has to be correct, too--Italian rolls that are crusty on the outside, and nice and soft inside.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

I like thin sliced Provolone, onions, and bell peppers on my steak & cheese sub, hold the mushrooms.

Teresa

• dedtired
    11 years ago

It's got to be on an Amoroso roll, which are only baked locally. Sorry about that. I can't stand whiz, and most locals get them with provolone and fried onions. It's also got to be cooked on a big greasy grill by a big greasy guy. It's just one of those things you can't recreate at home, although I bet you can come fairly close.

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Back in 2010 I decided to make Philly Cheese steak Sandwiches. I made them based on advice from FOAS. I used rib eye steak and caramelized onions topped with Cheese Whiz.

I'm not a fan of cheese on meat so it wasn't a favourite. Moe thought it was okay, but there are other things he likes better so I've never made it again.

• azzalea
    11 years ago

Sorry, Dedtired, but the roll has to be a Del Buono's--LOL! That's what all the best cheesesteak shops on my side of the river use--and they beat Amoroso's hands down, IMO!

As you can see, Marie--we Philly area folks take our cheesesteaks VERY seriously. I personally wouldn't make one at home--it's like making pizza at home--you can do it, but it's not going to come close to one from a good pizza shop. But we have cheesesteak places every couple of blocks in the Philadelphia/SoJersey area--so we don't have to make our own.

• dixiedog_2007
    11 years ago

Finely chopped Ribeye Steak, Provolone cheese, onions on a great bun for me please. YUM!

We have a restaurant/pub right up the street from us and the family is from Philly and they make some mighty good ones for a good price. My DH loves going there. Whiz is the authentic but provolone for us.

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

LOL, Ann, if that delicious looking sandwich is the worst I've ever steered anyone wrong, I'll sleep easy tonight!

I've only been in Philly a couple times in my life (once for a CF gathering) but I've long wanted blast out a quick road trip there to take the famous Pat's vs Geno's taste test. Maybe after the holidays I'll pick a date and see if anyone else is interested in joining.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Ick! No way! Over my dead body! Pat's and Geno's are for tourists. Better to do the Chubby's vs Dalessandro's challenge, or just hit Jim's on South St. Let me know when.

LOL, Azzalea, I have to pay closer attention to the rolls. A lot of people like Sarcone's rolls, and I do, too.

And no wiz!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarcone's

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

Pam - I just read your reaction to my wife who lived in the Philly area through most of the 90's, before I met her. She doesn't off-hand recall Chubby's or Dalessandro's, but agrees that Pat's and Gino's are overhyped tourist traps. "Cheesesteaks at the mall were better." Familiar with Tony Luke's? That's who Bobby Flay challenged for a Throwdown.

I'll let you know when...

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Tell Mrs. FOAS that Chubby's and Dalessandro's are in Roxborough. Tony Luke's is down near the stadiums in the heart of true South Philly. I'd go there, but you have to drive. I think Tony has gone commercial, since there is a Tony Luke's sandwich shop in an Acme near me in Bryn Mawr.

• ann_t
    11 years ago

FOAS, you definitely didn't steer me wrong.

I suspect like many regional foods, they are most popular in their local area.

~Ann

• marie_ndcal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, you guys!!! Do you realize how far I have to drive to get one???? Not sure what bun I can get here but we do have a good bakery at our market. But then for Norwegian food, we do have a good selection and for Mexican food--Calif here I come.
    Hope you all know I am just kidding.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio