Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What brand of turkey to buy?

Posted by casi (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 20, 08 at 20:57

With grocery prices the way that they are, I was wondering what turkey to buy. I really love a Butterball or Honeysuckle White turkey but the store brands are so much cheaper. I hsve used Riverside and have heard that it is comparable. What is everybody else's experience? Is it just me or does a Butterball really taste better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What brand of turkey to buy?

Wherever I've lived (in 6 states), I've also been able to find a source of "fresh" turkeys from some local or near-local turkey ranch. Preferably natural, free-range or organic. They don't have "brands". Most have been available through the mid-sized supermarkets that have good meat departments but occasionally you'll find them direct.

I've found these fresh (sometimes not exactly but "on ice") turkeys always better in flavor than the big brand names.

Most of the turkey's flavor comes from the prep and cooking techniques, anyway.

So, look under "turkey" in the yellow pages???

Joe

o
RE: What brand of turkey to buy?+

That should have read...

Wherever I've lived, I've ALWAYS been able to find a source of "fresh" turkeys..."

Joe

o

If you are talking frozen turkey and unless you get a "direct from the grower" bird I think that's best...
the supermarket brand is best....less "solution" and most often cheaper.
However I cooked a Butterball last Sunday and it was really very good. But the only reason I bought it is it was $.69 a pound and I put it in the freezer!
Linda C

o

I usually get a fresh turkey from a local Amish farmer, nothing at all like Butterball or Honeysuckle.

I just like the fresh ones, no preservatives, no "flavor enhancers", just good old fashioned turkey, hanging out in the yard and eating bugs and whatever it can find. It's a different flavor than the turkeys raised in a big barn and eating only the meal they are fed.

Annie

o

After eating a few free range birds I find Butterball birds to taste odd. They are "enhanced" with injected solutions that I don't care for. I'd look for a store brand "natural" or free range bird.

o

I got a turkey for a neighbor at Aldi yesterday... it was 11 pounds for 8.99 (no tax on top if it, I don't know if it was already included or what)...

They had a much larger one there, but I didn't notice the price because I wasn't even considering one that big. But, they were Butterball brand!

o

I'm unable to get a fresh turkey and thought I'd try one of Trader Joes Organic turkeys. A "natural sea salt" brined at $1.79 per lb. or the Kosher salt brined at $2.29 per lb.
I didn't realize that they would be pre brined and now am rethinking my options. Is it worth paying the extra money for either one or should I just buy a house brand grocery store one for a lot less per pound?

o

I'm unable to get a fresh turkey and thought I'd try one of Trader Joes Organic turkeys. A "natural sea salt" brined at $1.79 per lb. or the Kosher salt brined at $2.29 per lb.
I didn't realize that they would be pre brined and now am rethinking my options. Is it worth paying the extra money for either one or should I just buy a house brand grocery store one for a lot less per pound?

o

I was going with organic free-range but then I ran across the Cook's Illustrated turkey taste test. They taste tested and had the turkeys lab tested as well. They found that the tastiest turkeys had higher levels of fat and salt. I decided to go with the kosher turkey from kosherkaddy.com. It's more expensive ($3.89/lb.) plus shipping but my curiosity got the better of me.

I'll report back after TG!

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkey Taste Test

o

I bought a turkey from my local Publix(one mile from house) for .69 cent a pound last week. All other stores , Aldi included were charging more per pound. I find that Publix brands are just as good quality as name brands. I am not saying they are but I think they are equal to them in my opinion.

o

For years, I bought the frozen Butterball-type or store brand. After reading articles & comments, about four years ago I started buying the fresh (& usually free-range) turkey. I was resistant at first because the cost was more, but then reasoned that I didn't buy the cheapest beef, chicken, etc., so why was I focusing on the cheapest turkey?

The flavor & moisture is so much better in the fresh turkeys that I will not go back to frozen. Additionally, while I have not wet-brined a turkey, this year I plan to pre-salt/salt-brine it as written up in last month's Bon Appetit & the LA Times of Nov 19. ann_t discussed it & included the technique/recipe at the end of October.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best turkey techniques

o

I have always purchased Willie Birds in the past but this year I am going to cook a Diestel turkey. My local grocer carries them so I don't have to order it. I'll report back. I bet Granjan is familiar with Diestel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diestel

o

If you have a Jewish grocery try there. The kosher turkeys are really good.

o

Plainville Turkeys are from my neck of the woods. While they are outstanding, I've found the best improvement over past years was the addition of a meat thermometer with an alarm. Really, forget the turkey and invest in a good thermometer.
Jo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here