Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Bake Sweet Potatoes Tonight & Just Reheat Tomorrow?

Posted by amck (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 20:50

The subject line pretty much says it all. I'm trying to conserve precious oven time needed for the turkey tomorrow & wonder if I can bake halved sweet potatoes tonight and reheat them when the turkey is resting tomorrow.

These are just plain sweet potatoes to be served plain - something DH grew up having & it wouldn't be Thanksgiving dinner (for him) without them... Any reason you think this is not a good idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Bake Sweet Potatoes Tonight & Just Reheat Tomorrow?

Sounds fine to me...let them warm up to room temp and pop them in the oven after the turkey comes out.

o

Sure. I just did that. I roasted 8 large ones today, to a very soft doneness, peeled and mashed them and they were so sweet without any additions or even salt, that I left them plain. Then I roasted 4 long ones to be cut unpeeled for tomorrow and they looked great. My fussy cousin confirmed their goodness.

o

I got mine ready to stick in the oven.Turkey is in slow oven all night.

o

The only thing I'd do differently is to leave them whole when you put them in the oven. I usually wait till they're nearly done, then cut them in half, mash them with a fork to soften them up (you could add butter then, too, but I don't), and then return them to the oven for the last 10 minutes or so.

If you cut them in half before baking, they form a "skin" on the cut surface, and the firmer texture makes them more difficult to mash.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here