Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade Rolled Turkey Roast

Posted by colleenoz (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 20:44

When I saw Annie's original post regarding the boned out turkey roast she made (which I can't find now), I thought I'd try one for DH's family Christmas dinner, which will be a collaborative effort on the part of all us DIL's :-). As it will likely be very hot, and the home where we will be eating has the kitchen as part of the main living area and no airconditioning, we would like to avoid using the oven if possible. DH's parents and uncle are in their 80s and don't handle heat well any more, and SIL is recovering from surgery and chemo and is also frailer than she would like. So my plan is to cook the turkey on a covered BBQ outside if it's any good.
I got a 14lb turkey, defrosted it and boned it out. The boning was a quick and dirty job which I think could have been neater if I had had more time to spend on it, as it was I took about 15 minutes. I placed the cut off wings and the carcass in a separate roasting pan to brown for stock.
The stuffing was MIL's sausagemeat stuffing recipe, with a small twist, she uses white raisins and I used craisins. I rolled it up and tied it with string. I might enquire from our local butcher if I can get some of that net stuff they use to make this easier for the Christmas roast.
Popped it in the BBQ with the carcass and a tray of veges and let it cook. Took about 2 3/4 hours before the alarm on the meat thermometer went off.
The turkey itself was fairly moist but a little bland- I will brine the next one. The skin was quite tough so I will do a combo of covering and basting to see if this helps, otherwise I'll just remove it before serving. Otherwise it really was yummy and I am happy with the experiment (just as well, the two of us will be eating this for a while :-) ).
For gravy the pan the turkey roll was in was too burned to use the fond (it was thinner than the other) so I removed the bones from the other pan and used the fond from there. I made some quick and dirty stock by pouring about two cups of warm water through the roasted bones twice, and the gravy was good. Then the bones went on to simmer for real stock.
Thanks for the good idea Annie!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade Rolled Turkey Roast

That sounds great.

In Donald Link's cookbook "Real Cajun", he stuffs a turkey breast with boudin sausage (a spicy cajun sausage made with pork, rice, and lots of seasoning) and grills it on the grill. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'm thinking about making a batch of boudin just to try it out. (Alternatively, I might just go to Popeye's and buy some rice dressing--not exactly the same, but it might work.)

At the link is an adaptation of that recipe for cooking in the oven; Link, however, cooks his on the grill.

This is similar to the idea behind braciole: take a lean piece of meat, flatten it, and use it to roll up a savory stuffing which moistens and flavors the meat.

Here is a link that might be useful: boudin stuffed turkey breast

o

Colleen, I'm glad that's going to work and that you'll be able to put it on the grill, that'll be better than heating up the house roasting a turkey.

Iliked the turkey roll that we did, but Elery and I agreed that a different "stuffing" is needed. The ground chicken (albeit seasoned) with the turkey was just too much of the same. I'm thinking a cornbread stuffing with some dried cranberries or maybe a wild rice stuffing with some kind of dried fruit.

It really wasn't all that hard to bone the turkey, I'm wondering if something smaller, like chicken, will be harder or easier.

Merry Christmas! It sure seems odd to be saying that already...

Annie

o

Could you have chosen either breast of chicken or breast of turkey--instead of the whole turkey? I know there are recipes for that. Just a thought
Marie

o

I have posted this recipe several times in the past few years during the holidays. I thought I would share it again as an alternative to the traditional 'stuffing'.
It has become a favorite.
It would be very easy to adapt to a larger turkey. The stuffing is healthy and delicious.
Very good as leftovers also.

Turkey Roulade with Apple-Cider Gravy
by Ellie Krieger

This golden brown turkey breast, excerpted from the cookbook The Food You Crave, has a moist pecan-and-cranberry-studded stuffing rolled inside. Relish in the "oohs" and "aahhs" as you reveal the beautiful spiral intertwining of tender turkey and savory stuffing.

For more turkey recipes visit The Guide to Thanksgiving Dinner.
Serves 6

Ingredients turkey chicken broth apple cider
One 2-1/2-pound boneless turkey breast half, skin removed and butterflied
2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
5 slices day-old whole-wheat bread, crusts removed and cubed (about 2-1/2 cups)
1 medium onion, diced (about 1-1/2 cups), plus 1 cup onion thinly sliced into half-moons
1 cup apple cider
2 large cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
1/2 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
1/3 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage or 3 teaspoons dried, crumbled
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon cold water
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
Kitchen twine

Place the turkey breast between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound lightly with a meat mallet to an even thickness of about 3/4 inch. Set aside while you prepare the stuffing.

Toast the pecans in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes; set aside. Preheat the oven to 375�F.

Place the cranberries in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cook for 1 minute, then remove from the heat, drain, and set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook, stirring, until golden but not blackened, 12 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 2 to 3 minutes. Add the bread, cranberries, pecans, 2 tablespoons of the fresh or 2 teaspoons of the dried sage, and 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the broth, depending upon the consistency of the stuffing (you want the mixture to be moistened, but not too wet, since the turkey will release moisture when cooked). Cook over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, then remove from the heat.

Sprinkle the salt and pepper over both sides of the turkey breast. Spread the stuffing over one side of the turkey, leaving about 1-1/2 to 2 inches uncovered on all sides. Roll up and secure tightly with kitchen twine, trying to keep all the stuffing intact.

Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven or medium roasting pan over medium heat until hot. Sear the stuffed turkey breast on all sides until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Sprinkle the sliced onion around the turkey, pour in 1-1/2 cups of the broth, cover tightly and roast in the oven until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 165�F, 60 to 65 minutes. Remove the turkey breast from the oven, transfer to a cutting board, tent with aluminum foil, and let rest while you make the gravy.

Add the cider, 1/2 cup of the broth, the vinegar, and the remaining 2 teaspoons fresh or 1 teaspoon dried sage to the roasting pan, bring to a boil, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced by one-third, about 10 minutes. Slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly, and cook for 3 minutes more. The gravy should not be thick, just slightly thicker than a jus. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Remove the twine from the turkey breast and cut into 1-1/2-inch-thick slices. Serve with the gravy on the side in a gravy boat.

nutrition information (per serving):
Calories (kcal): 400; Fat (g): 12; Fat Calories (kcal): 108; Saturated Fat (g): 1.5; Protein (g): 50; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 6; Carbohydrates (g): 24; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 3.5; Sodium (mg): 371; Cholesterol (mg): 117; Fiber (g): 2;
photo: Christopher Hirsheimer
From Book The Food You Crave , pp. 220-221
November 19, 2010

Here is a link that might be useful: Ellie Kreiger's Stuffed Turkey Breast

o

Mago, I really like that recipe. It sounds delish. What I especially like is that there are not 25 flavors competing for attention. Enough to make it interesting and few enough to make the tastes pure.

Thanks. gotta get some energy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here