Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whipped Cream--Do you use regular sugar or powdered?

Posted by trudymom (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 23, 10 at 20:25

For those of you who make your own whipped cream for on top of your pumpkin pies, do you use regular sugar or powdered sugar? How do the results differ?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whipped Cream--Do you use regular sugar or powdered?

Powdered....regular can stay grainy...
Way back when I would put regular sugar in the blender to make it powdered without any of the anti caking stuff in powdered. But not any more....I am older and lazy!!

o

Powered sugar and vanilla paste.

o

Plain sugar. It dissolves completely. You add it when the cream has just begun to thicken.

o

I use regular, sprinkle it in right as it starts to get thick, and I have never felt the grains in the finished product. I use my kitchenaid with the wisk, maybe that helps.

o

I've used both. I also think regular sugar dissolves just fine, but I was told that the cornstarch added to powdered sugar would help "stabilize" the cream. Couldn't prove it by me, an hour later it was flat...

Annie

o

Regular sugar here. Never had any graininess. Never thought to use powdered!

Linda

o

Regular sugar. No problem with it not dissolving. I don't like to use powdered sugar, sometimes I can taste the corn starch when people use it. I use very little sugar and sometimes none at all, especially if I'm using it on a very sweet pie like pecan. I like the contrast.

o

I use regular also, my cream went flat too when I used powdered sugar.
If I want it stabilized, I add some unflavored, plain, knox gelatin powder.

o

I use plain regular sugar the most. Have used powdered once in a while, can't really tell the difference as I use so little to sweeten the creme. NancyLouise

o

I use powdered sugar now that I have the whipped cream dispenser. I'm still on the learning curve with this thing (can you say snowing in Florida?) so I am closely sticking to the directions.

o

I use vanilla sugar...Well it's a jar of old "cooked" vanilla beans that I top off with white sugar and more old beans..

I too sprinkle after it begins to thicken...

And I don't get grainy or flat whipped cream.

I also use maple syrup sometimes to "sweeten" it just a touch.

o

Powdered Sugar. Annie, you're correct, the corn starch in the PS helps to keep it from weeping as it stands.

Steve

o

I use Splenda since the majority of us are diabetic. No one ever noticed the difference.

o

When I was about 8 yrs old, we were visiting my aunt who was a farmer's wife. I was so thrilled to see "real cream" for a cherry pie.

I almost spit out the first bite, as she added no sugar. I have no idea why she did that. Maybe that was the way grandma made it.

btw for 40+ years I have used regular sugar.

o

I've used both, prefer powdered.

o

I use regular sugar and add cornstarch. I think I add about 1/4 tsp of cornstarch for each cup of cream, and it does help stabilize the cream. Before whipping the cream, I store the bowl and beaters in the freezer and make sure the cream is extremely cold. This way you can beat the cream a bit longer and make it stiffer without turning it into butter.

Lars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here