SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

Can this be frozen? ...and two more questions

sooz
9 years ago

One of my friend asked me this question, and I have no clue, but I told her I'd post and ask this at my favorite cooking site!

She plans to make a Weight Watchers dessert to bring to an employee pot luck, but wants to make it ahead of time and freeze it.

The recipe is simple:
one box of Angel Food cake mix
one big can (20 oz) of crushed pineapple in its own juice (the juice will be used, too)

Mix everything together, the pour into a 9 x 12 pan and bake according to directions on Angel Food cake mix box.

Question #1:
Once it cools, will she be able to freeze it for a few weeks until the pot luck event, or will it 'suffer in any way?

The Weight Watchers recipe apparently uses the box mix that is all-in-one (no separate packet of dry egg whites to whip).

The boxed mix she purchased is not an all-in-one mix...it has two packets in it--one packet is dry egg whites, which she is supposed to reconstitute and make into stiff peaks by adding water (I guess maybe she can use the pineapple juice). These egg whites then get folded into the other "cake" package in the box mix.

Question #2:
Does anyone happen to know if the "dump and mix" method will work, or if she will have to whip the egg whites and then fold them into the mix and *then* mix in the pineapple/pineapple juice?

Question #3:
Does she have to cool the cake upside down in the 9 x 12 baking pan?

Thanks!

Smiles,
Sooz

Comments (3)