Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If a recipe calls for XL eggs and I only have L

Posted by terri_pacnw (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 12, 08 at 19:39

Should I add one more egg, or just not worry about it. It's a cake recipe.

Here's the recipe. I'm going to use lemons though.

Orange Pound Cake

pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar, divided
4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1/3 cup grated orange zest (6 oranges)
3 cups all-purpose flour
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
cup freshly squeezed orange juice, divided
cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

TO GLAZE ONE LOAF (OPTIONAL)

1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
1 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 x 2 - inch loaf pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper.

Cream the butter and 2 cups of the granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed, beat in the eggs, one at a time, and the orange zest.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, combine cup of the orange juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to an hour (mine took 55 minutes), until a cake tester comes out clean.

While the cakes bake, cook the remaining cup of granulated sugar with the remaining cup orange juice in a small saucepan over low heat until the sugar dissolves. When the cakes are done, let them cool for 10 minutes. Take them out of the pans and place them on a baking rack set over a tray. Spoon the orange syrup over the cakes and allow the cakes to cool completely.

To glaze, combine the confectioners sugar and orange juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Add a few more drops of juice, if necessary, to make it pour easily. Pour over the top of one cake and allow the glaze to dry. Wrap well, and store in the refrigerator.

YIELD: 2 loaves
Source: Ina Gartens Barefoot Contessa: Family Style

Here is a link that might be useful: There are lovely pictures of it towards the bottom of this blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If a recipe calls for XL eggs and I only have L

Found this Terri:

The majority of cooking recipes will specify for large eggs however, you could use the equivalent in medium or extra large eggs.
1 large egg is the equivalent of 1 medium egg or 1 extra large egg.
2 large eggs is the equivalent of 2 medium eggs or 2 extra large eggs.
3 large eggs is the equivalent of 4 medium eggs or 3 extra large eggs.
4 large eggs is the equivalent of 5 medium eggs or 4 extra large eggs.
5 large eggs is the equivalent of 6 medium eggs or 5 extra large eggs

o

I would add one more yolk.
Linda C

o

Modern USA Egg sizes:
XL eggs weigh greater than 2.25 oz. so a dozen weigh 24 oz+
Lg eggs weigh greater than 2.00 oz. so a dozen weigh 27 oz+

So, 4 XL eggs = 9 oz. 9 divided by 2 equals 4.5 large eggs.

I don't think it would make much difference in the recipe. If you had some applesauce you could add a bit, or just a little water, butter or milk if you like, or an extra yolk, or an extra white or half an egg would be more like the recipe intended, assuming it makes a difference.

o

Thanks everyone!

o

terri - coincidentally, I just made Ina's choc cake and was wondering the same thing. I ended up using two large eggs (rather than the extra large she called for) and the cake turned out fine.

o

Ina's recipes always call for extra large eggs. I never worry about it, and the recipes turn out fine. With all the butter and cream she puts in her recipes, they always taste good, lol.

Sally

o

I agree, I'd just use large eggs. I have my own eggs most of the time and the sizes can vary by quite a lot from "medium" to "extra large" and an occasional "double yolker". I just grab two eggs and I haven't noticed any huge problems in my baking.

If you think you want that extra bit of richness I'd agree with LindaC and add another yolk, but mostly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Annie

o

Okie Dokie..I'll give it a whirl..got a fridge full of organic lemons that I got 2 weeks ago..
And this just looked delish!
I've already got a few lemon cream cookie sandwiches left in the cookie jar. I made egg nog bread (quick bread) earlier in the week..so what's a bit more sweet stuff in the house. LOL

o

Oops, obviously I switched the "dozen" weights! You get the idea, I'm sure. So sorry!

o

If the recipe calls for one or two eggs, I just use large....but with 4 eggs, each XL egg weighs about 1/8 more than a large egg and in a recipe calling for 4 eggs that's equal to half an egg.
I am sure that from the back of a galloping horse you won't know the difference, baking is not rocket science nor quantative chemistry, but I would add the extra yolk.
Linda C

o

okie dokie Linda...

I'll report my attempt later. Got some errands to run..so pulling out the butter now..then I'm off...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here