Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why does my meringue weep?

Posted by msmarion (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 07 at 19:20

I've been making the Better Homes and Garden lemon meringue pie for 30 years, it's my husband's favorite. The meringue comes out different every time. The meringue weeps and sometimes shrinks and sometimes it's fine.

What's your secret to a perfect meringue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why does my meringue weep?

I think Ma-rang weeps 'cus Pa-rang ran off with another sweetie-pie.

Sorry....I'm feeling weird tonight...

Duane

o

I've never had trouble with the meringue, if I have trouble it's that the filling doesn't set up. I know you have to make sure to seal the meringue to the crust and it bakes for a short time at a high temp.

I used the Betty Crocker recipe for 30 years and all of a sudden it just quit working and I kept getting runny filling, so I started using some recipe that was posted here or somewhere and we're in happy lemon meringue land again. Maybe lemon meringue recipes have 30 year lifespans. After 30 years of this one, maybe I'll wind up having to go back to Betty and that one will start working again!

o

The filling must be hot when you put the meringue on it and make sure to seal all around the crust in order for it not to weep.

o

Make sure that the sugar beaten with the egg whites is completely dissolved. Rub a little of the mixture between two fingers. The undissolved sugar will feel grainy. Cook meringues at the lowest oven temperature.

Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then sprinkle the sugar on top of the egg whites. Allow the egg whites to sit for 5 minutes without stirring. Beat the egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread the meringue over pies and bake as usual.

I always used castor (superfine?) sugar for meringue.

o

Msmarion,

I beleive alot has to do with the humidity here in Fla. Or atleast that was my Mom's excuss.

o

Meringue Made Easy
(source: The Clever Cook's Kitchen Handbook" by David Joachim)

1. Separate the eggs one at a time, placing each white in a small cup to check for [bits of] yolks. Just a hint of yolk will not allow the whites to whip properly.

2. Let the egg whites come to room temperature before whipping; you will get a greater whipped volume with slightly warm egg whites.

3. Be certain that the bowl and beaters are clean and grease-free [Grainlady note: use stainless steel or copper if you have it, for maximum volume - plastic molecules are a kissin' cousin to fat, so avoid using plastic bowls. Glass is fine also.]

4. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks BEFORE adding the sugar.

5. Add the sugar gradually, about 2 T. at a time, to ensure a fluffy meringue.

6. Make meringue on a dry day. Any moisture in the air will be absorbed by the meringue, turning it sticky.

7. To prevent soft meringue from shrinking, beading, and weeping... Dissolve 1 T. cornstarch with 1/4 c. water over medium-low heat until it forms a thick gel. Cool slightly, then beat the cornstarch mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, into egg whites that have been beaten to soft peaks. It also helps to cook the meringue for the correct amount of time. Undercooking and overcooking can cause weeping. To prevent beading or sweating on top, it's best to go with high heat (about 425F) for a short period of time (about 5 minutes). To prevent shrinking, spread the meringue so that it touches the edges of the dish (or the crust, for a pie) all the way around.

o

Do the windy weather affect the meringue to be crunchy?
My meringue is crunchy in the inside, but the outside is wet and sticky. please help! give some answer. thank you!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here