Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is 'budding' meat?

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 6, 08 at 19:08

I was poking around holiday food sites and found this cheese ball recipe. I have never heard of "budding" meat - what is it? And leaving it out over night to soften sounds a little gross!

Holiday Cheese Ball

1 16 oz. package Philadelphia cream cheese
1 16 oz. package shredded cheddar cheese
1 small onion - diced
1 package budding meat
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1 16 oz. package chopped nuts ( if desired)

Leave cheese(s) and meat out over night to soften. Next day, use electric mixer (or hands) to mix well. Roll in nuts. Refrigerate atleast 2 hours before serving.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is 'budding' meat?

Not sure about the spelling, but it might be a tpyo and really meant to be Buddig, try this link

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.buddig.com/

o

It's a grocery store type of deli product.....inexpensive and very processed. Been around a long time. I think I tried it once...years ago. I call it mystery meat.

I would never leave it out over night, even if it has ton's of preservatives.... :P

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Buddig

o

It is dried beef found in the lunchmeat section. That is a national brand, but you may have other brands in your area. Hormel makes dried beef in a glass jar where the canned tuna and canned chicken is found. You may need to soak it in hot water as the jarred beef is quite salty.

I don't think I would leave the meat out overnight, or the cheese for that matter. The cheese just needs to sit out about an hour to soften. This meat will need to be chopped finely to add to that recipe. It comes in thin slices.

Teresa

o

Great visual of you, Alexa, poking around budding meat....does your DH know? Or is he the meat? darfc....

o

LOL Thanks everyone!

I don't intend to make this thing... I was just curious what budding/buddig meat was since I had never heard of it.

Thanks for all the info though!

Alexa

And Jessy - ROFL! I wasn't poking anyones meat! just on the web site!

o
RE: What is 'budding' meat? LOL

Jessy, don't worry, we will leave the meat poking all to you.....

Nancy

o

Well, I'll be darned. My Mom used to buy that whern we were kids and all my life I've thought it was "BuddiNg".

o

You know - I was looking a little closer at the web site above and I can see on the ham & corned beef photos it really is chopped up "meat" that is pressed and sliced.

I am envisioning thin sliced Spam...........

Alexa

o

That cream cheese and thinly sliced beef cheese ball is David's favorite, go figure.

It's the only thing I use that sliced meat for, although my girls liked to just eat the paper thin slices as a snack. WonderWeiner never turned one down either, LOL, but I never cared for them.

Annie

o

I like that stuff! Sort of like thin Jerky. Don't care for the turkey but the dried beef, corned beef and pastrami are pretty good.
Linda C

o

Isn't that the stuff you use to make SOS er, I mean Creamed Dried Beef on toast?

o

Jessy, you NEED to check out the scrumptious thread, please!

o

My mom used to take the meat and spread cream cheese on it, roll it up and then slice it (I think). It was pretty good. I can't really tell one Buttig meat from the other though. (they all sort of just taste like a thin layer of salt to me)

I made the below recipe once... can't remember why or when, but they're pretty good. I think I used Buttig pastrami.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cream Cheese Pickles

o

I guess this recipe had more of an impact on me than I thought.... and no, I didn't make it as written! LOL!

I used grated smoked gouda and some really smoky ham. It is quite tasty that way!

Alexa

o

Carla, my mother used to do the same. I remember some of those rolled logs (uncut) in my lunchbox! I don't remember if I ever tried it on my kids. I probably did, they were such picky eaters I'd do anything to get them to eat protein!

o

I can't find the "chopped beef", there is other Budding meat packages but not the "chopped beef". I live in Akron, Ohio. Can anyone help me? Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here