Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potatoes starting to get a bit soft. Still OK?

Posted by cynic (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 23, 10 at 18:54

I've got a 5# bag of russets that have been sitting here for a couple weeks, maybe three? It's been cooler temps here so they're not hot, they were in the kitchen, not the frig. I'm making some ribs and was going to use them but they feel slightly soft. Not squishy. They're not slimy. They're just a bit soft. Hard to describe, but they give a little, and spring back. Wondering if they're safe to use or should I go when in doubt, throw them out and let the wildlife decide whether they're compost.

I'm Nesco-ing some ribs (in a foil pouch) and tossed a few in anyway but thought I'd petition the experts and see what you think. Toss? Try?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potatoes starting to get a bit soft. Still OK?

As long as they aren't squishy, discolored or green, they won't poison you. They'd probably be better mashed than baked or roasted, but just being a bit soft or wrinkled isn't a problem. Even once the skin starts turning green, you're o.k. just cutting off any green. It contains an alkaloid that is mildly poisonous, but you'd have to eat a lot of it to be in any danger.

o

Cook 'em up and mash them cynic, then invite me for dinner!

o

Yes, they're fine. We had a root cellar when I was a kid and we were eating potatoes well into the spring. They often got a bit wrinkly and soft (not squishy soft), and Grandma just peeled 'em and boiled 'em. They were still just fine in February and March, although not as firm as when first dug.

Annie

o

I cooked 'em, and ate 'em. and they were great. Lots of butter... Thought they should be fine. And the ribs were great too. Come on over Jasdip, there's leftovers!

Thanks for the comments!

o

cynic:
I have the same problem, because I don't use them fast enough.
So I have been buying a few Russets at a time.
But I'm always going by a Market.

If you are in a rural area, guess you have to buy 5 lb. bags.

When they get a little soft I nuke them, slice and in the fry pan with a little butter.
Makes good Southern Home Fries.

Sometimes, I make a Potato and Pepperoni Omelet.
Lou

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here