Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you do with excess tangerines?

Posted by punamytsike (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 14, 08 at 18:47

I have a tangerine tree that is full and we cannot eat fast enough before fruit is getting bad. I would love to pick it all and make something in quantity so that the fruit is not going to waste. Do you have any tried and true recipes that you love? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you do with excess tangerines?

Marmalade! Sorbet! Squeeze and freeze the juice!

o

We got tangerines earlier in the year. The only thing I make with the juice is sorbet. I'm having to throw out a lot of oranges because I can't use what my tree produces, and I don't have room in the fridge/freezer for anything else.

You can use tangerines in my Achiote/Citrus Chicken recipe in place of oranges, but you will still need to add lemon or lime for tartness. I store oranges in the fridge to make them last a bit longer. Oranges I get pretty much all year, but tangerines are more seasonal.

Lars

o

Could you make a marmalade? How about brandied tangerines? A friend makes delicious brandied peaches that we serve over ice cream and pound cake etc. I'd think you could "brandy" about anything.

Maybe google recipes for clementines as they are sort of similar?

Grace

o

I'd make this!

FLOURLESS CLEMENTINE CAKE

4-5 clementines (about 375g or 1 lb.)
6 eggs
225g sugar (1 cup + 2 Tblsp.)
250g ground almonds (2-1/3 cups)
1 heaping tsp. baking powder

Put the clementines in a pot with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours. Drain and, when cool, cut each clementine in half and remove the seeds. Dump the clementines - skins, pith, fruit and all - and give a quick blitz. Then tip in all the remaining ingredients and pulse to a pulp. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Butter and line an 8-inch springform pan.

Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for an hour, when a skewer will come out clean; you'll probably have to cover with foil after about 40 minutes to stop the top burning. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, on a rack, but in the pan. When the cake's cold, you can take it out of the tin. I think this is better a day after it's made, but I don't complain about eating it any time.

I've also made this with an equal weight of oranges, and with lemons, in which case I increase the sugar to one and one-quarter cups and slightly anglicize it, too, by adding a glaze made of confectioner's sugar mixed to a paste with lemon juice and a little water.

Recipe by Nigella Lawson.

o

If you have oranges or other fruit that you cannot use up, consider picking a load for your local food bank, shelter or soup kitchen. Call ahead of time to check, but such places almost always appreciate good, fresh fruit.

o

Pat T....unsure about the Clementine cake...."quick blitz"...does that mean with a hand held blender? and that the cake contains the skins of the Clementines? Is it all done in a food processor? or are the eggs beaten before you add them?
Sounds like a Passover recipe to me!
Linda C

o

Thank you for ideas :)

I found this recipe for marmalade, does this sound about right?

Tangerine Marmalade:
4 pounds tangerines
4 pounds granulated sugar
Peel the skin from the tangerines in large pieces. Set aside. Squeeze the juice from the pulp and discard pulp. Set juice aside. Simmer peel in water to cover for 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and cover peel with cold water. Soak overnight.
Drain peel and chop medium fine. In a heavy saucepan, combine peel, reserved juice and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 25 to 30 minutes or until thick. Spoon into sterilized jars and store in a cool place..

o

I saw two recipes that looked good in a book called "Blue Ribbon Preserves" by Linda Amendt. You can find the whole book on Google Book Search....

Grace

o

Lindac.

I made this Clementine torte that is similar to PatTs cake. Using the food processor you put the Clementines, skins and all, in and pulse. I made double the amount and put half the pulsed Clementines in a zip lock bag in the freezer. Havent taken them out yet but I think they will be ok for the tort recipe.

Joy of Baking Recipe:

Clementine Torte:
1 pound (454 grams) Clementines (4 to 6 depending on size)
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups (250 grams) granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups (250 grams) almond meal or ground almonds

Place the Clementines in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and then simmer the Clementines for about two hours. Drain and let the oranges cool completely.
Preheat oven

to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter and line a 9 inch (23 cm) spring form pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
Once the Clementines have completely cooled, slice in half, and remove any seeds. Place the Clementine halves (skins and all) in your food processor, along with the eggs, and process until thoroughly blended. Add the vanilla extract and process until incorporated. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the sugar, baking powder, salt and ground almonds. Add the orange mixture to the almond mixture and whisk or stir to combine. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean (you may need to cover the cake with aluminum foil about halfway through baking to prevent over browning). Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Once it has completely cooled, remove the sides of the spring form pan.
This cake is best after it has been allowed to sit for a few days. Serve with a dollop of softly whipped cream.

Claudia

o

"Copy and paste"...Thank you!

o

Linda - yes, you pulse the clementines - skin & all in a food processor, just as Claudia said. It's flourless, so it could definitely be served at Passover.

It's a recipe from Nigella Lawson, and the method and wording was hers. I just copied & pasted it directly from her website. What's funny is that she didn't call them seeds, she called them "pips". I put the word "seeds" in for my own reference. The recipe (and a beautiful picture of the cake) can be found here.

o

We have a new honey tangerine tree (honeybell? Maybe!)
It's got some itsy bitsy fruit but as it was just transplanted, but I have high hopes. Do I have to use Clementines for this or can I use other types of tangerines?

Copied and pasted both recipes for the tortes, thanks!

o

I dont know anything about Passover but the torte is really good and using the frozen cooked, pulsed, Clementines worked out just as good as the fresh. I took them out of the freezer this morning, let them defrost, and made the torte. If Clementines are the same or somewhat the same as tangerines I dont know why they wouldnt work for this recipe.
Claudia

o

I'm glad I saw the picture, I had a hard time figuring out what it would look like.
I'm tempted to make this, the vanilla seems to be the only difference between the 2 recipes.

o

I'll be trying the clementine cake also, but from what I understand the clems are pretty heavily sprayed while growing and also if they're from overseas, they are fumigated to kill any fruitflies before being shipped. So I'll look for organic ones for the cake at least.
I don't worry too much about the pesticides when I peel and eat, but this recipe has the whole fruit.
Just something to think about..

o

Thanks for that important info! I guess I'll cancel the trip to Costco for that case of tangerines and wait until I can get some off of my tree!

o

I always scrub any citrus fruit I make marmelade out of, with hot soapy water. Don't know if that gets off much of the pesticide residue, but rinsing with water will not work since the pesticides are oil based. Soaking in a 5% salt solution may help too. But don't kid yourselves about the rind of citrus fruits, they drench them with pesticides.

Clementines make marvelous marmelade, so if you don't make it, now would be a fantastic time to start. Homeade is well worth the trouble. Throw in a vanilla bean or a hunk of ginger to the stuff as you are cooking it for an extra special zip. Take out before jarring up.

Here's a great orange tea loaf I make which also calls for grinding up the whole fruit in a food processor. Take out the seeds (pips!) first. This loaf freezes well and makes a nice holiday gift. Great spread with cream cheese for breakfast. Seems kinda weird to grind up the whole orange, but trust me, it is good. This got "best of" one year on this forum. Don't know about the pesticide issue though, you'll have to weigh in on it based on what you know about your fruit and risk tolerance level.

Orange Loaf

1 orange, unpeeled
6 oz. pitted dates
orange juice
1/2 cup hot water
2 TBLSP butter
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt (I'd use less if I soaked the fruit in a salt water solution)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup walnuts

Combine orange and dates in a blender or food processor, process until firmly ground. Drain juice off of this mixture and combine with enough extra orange juice to make 1/2 cup.
In a saucepan, heat the orange juice, water and butter until the butter melts. When this mixture cools, add the egg and date/orange slurry. Combine this with the dry ingredients. Bake in a 9x5x3 inch greased loaf pan for 1 hour.

Recipe easily doubled. And if you're prone to excess, could add some raisins or dried cranberries too. The way I bake, I routinely sub half whole wheat flour, 3/4 cup sugar for 1 cup, and use two egg whites instead of 1 whole egg. These tweaks make for less fat and calories and more nutrition, but the bread doesn't keep as long.

o

Lori - thanks for the giggle (pips!). That orange loaf sounds really good. Thanks for posting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here