SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

I goofed! Sweet potato casserole!

vacuumfreak
10 years ago

I'm going to do Thanksgiving tomorrow with my best friend's family since I work on Thursday. Everyone is supposed to bring one item and when they were going over the menu, I noticed a huge hole in it. Nobody was bringing sweet potatoes!

I volunteered to do the sweet potato casserole because I thought it would be easy to do in advance since I have to work tonight.... so last night, at 3 AM, I began cooking.

Everything seemd to be going OK until I finished mixing and went to taste. Not nearly enough cinnamon. So I kept adding, stirring and tasting for about 10 minutes. I thought my cinnamon was just really old, but after dumping nearly half the jar in, I could finally taste a hint of the stuff in the potatoes. I stopped there and decided just to go ahead and top and bake the casserole.

Then I realized that I'd been using my cinnamon SUGAR instead of just straight cinnamon so the cinnamon was very diluted! Doh!

Anyway, this is the result... It smelled good, but I didn't taste it yet. I have a pumpkin pie (store bought I must confess) to bolster my contribution as well. :o)

Of course there would have been more, but I wasted so much tasting! The baby one is for my vegan friend who will not eat marshmallows.... I told him to just scrape them off his portion, but he balked so I put the mini loaf pan to good use! He's worth the little extra trouble :o)

Lesson: when things are in identical containers, pay attention.... or use real cinnamon sticks and a microplane next time! ;-/

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Comments (10)