SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

So, what is your Thanksgiving Menu?

Very small group here, maybe 7 at best. So I bought a 20 pound turkey -Butterball- to be safe :-) ( all organic cooks, shhhush- it says no hormones, btw)

In addition to the turkey( and gravy), just one, and made the day of:

Sweet potato casserole which is the equivalent of a dessert, (the topping alone is delish): rice crispies, butter, pecans and brown sugar

Dressing: sausage, celery/onion/pecans (NOT cornbread, btw)

Fresh green beans with almonds/onions/balsamic dressing

Asparagus: cold, marinated

Yeast rolls, honey butter

Citrus salad

Homemade whole cranberry sauce w/ Grand Marnier

Two pies, apple strudel and pumpkin ( both warm from the oven)

My Achilles heel is always fresh. I want everything to be made as close to serving as possible, and will go to much effort to do so.

Comments (76)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the idea of a fruit platter, Mtnrdredux, will there be fresh berries this time of year? Is that served alone or with a dip?

MJocean, is your Indian Pudding home made?

Dancing Queen, do you have a recipe for the Flourless Chocolate Cake? I’d like to try that some time.

Everyone's menu sounds scrumptious and hope you all have a wonderful holiday!

• pink_warm_mama_1
    9 years ago

Walnut Creek - your Apple Harvest pound cake sounds yummy. Would you share your recipe? TIA

• Related Discussions

OT: What's on the Menu for Thanksgiving?

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi forum friends, since it's still before midnight... Happy Thanksgiving! I am exhausted but it was a good day. We just had a small group, just my 3 children and my daughter-in-law and grandbaby, and of course DH and my mom. My stepchildren came over to visit later, but not to eat since they were stuffed full already. Zeus, Fat Cat Nemo and Lily all enjoyed their turkey too. I did all the cooking like I always do (because I enjoy it) but I hate the cleanup afterwards. I cooked a 20 lb. turkey, homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, butternut squash casserole and other assorted dishes. Finished it off later with homemade apple and pumpkin pies. My son and oldest daughter had to work today so our meal was in the evening and I'm still stuffed. It felt very festive here but more like Christmas because of the snow we got a couple of days ago. Everything is covered in white. South of here all they got was rain but we got lots of snow. Somewhere in my day I managed to escape for an hour to go see my Dad in the nursing home. I really missed his smiling face at the dinner table tonight....my Dad always raves about my cooking. I brought him some pumpkin pie and he made me happy by eating it all up with a smile. I was so happy to come here tonight and see some of you checking in. I miss 'visiting' with you all. Rita, Ginny and Nancy...it was great to hear about your day. And dear Jean...I'm sorry you were feeling a little blue today. I wish I could send Zeus over there to snuggle up with you like he does me when I am feeling down. I hope Ms. Blackie & Snoopy are taking good care of you. My best to all.... Celeste
    ...See More

What's on your Thanksgiving menu this year?

Q

Comments (24)
    I am heading over to my daughter's home to help her cook for Tday as she had my second grandson in September and with the 3 year old has her hands pretty full. Also, I gave my son my HUGE table (sat 16) as it was way too large for my small dining room. We are only having 6 around the table this year as many of the extended family are traveling to their respective in-laws or just getting away. As always I was invited to dinner at my fiance's ex wife's home . . . but I have declined because my daughter really needs the help. He declined but his wonderful children have planned to spend some of the morning with him so he will be able to spend some time with that portion of his family (love that!). Since we have such a small gathering we are being a bit conservative with the food. As I am Celiac I have to duplicate several things to be safe for my consumption . . . so I am doing a turkey (will take some to eat and then divvy up the rest to be leftovers for sandwiches) my GF stuffing and gravy I am making Sour Cream Apple pie, pecan tassies and grilled asparagus Daughter (with help) is making main Turkey, dressing, potatoes and gravy and pumpkin pie and the "famous" green bean casserole" Ex SIL is bringing "watergate salad (a fav of my Son In Law), rolls and the sweet potato souffle. I brought fresh cranberries to try my hand at making orange cranberry relish as it is my fiance's favorite type of cranberry and I wanted him to have a favorite dish from his traditional dinners, that is also why I am grilling asparagus as it is his favorite veg.
    ...See More

Post Your Thanksgiving Menu!

Q

Comments (50)
    DS got home and we ate. The next day I replaced his battery and wiper blades. On Saturday I got snow tires on his car. So he’s set for winter. Snow tires are usually overkill in the Willamette Valley, but he’s not been driving all that long, and when we do get snow here it is so wet that it quickly turns to sheet ice. A couple years ago the ice stayed for over a week, it was so slick on sidewalks and roads that you almost couldn’t walk without traction thingies on your shoes. I feel better with him as equipped as possible, as he drives between Eugene and Portland. He’s been working on a project for his architecture class all weekend, including working all last night. So he’s staying in Portland longer than he’d planned, but with most classes online anyway, it’s not a problem. After about 36 hours awake, he finally got to bed, and will head back to college tomorrow. Here’s his model: He did all the plan and elevation drawings too. He actually did everything twice, because he decided his first effort wasn’t good enough. The whole project is done old school, with vellum paper and physical modeling. DS needs to get more facile with CAD software, but he feels that starting freehand allows more creativity. He mentioned that his classmates who do everything in the computer are tending to produce designs that are boxes, because the software thinks that way.
    ...See More

It’s Time to Think About Thanksgiving Menus

Q

Comments (51)
    While we don't have much variation year to year, I do love the meal. We do our turkey on the grill and have for the last 20+ yr. It is amazingly moist and flavorful. No sweet potato casserole, just baked sweet potatoes (my preference). There is always green bean casserole though and roasted brussels sprouts (this recipe sometimes changes) .. also corn. I make creamed onions-- I can't really eat more than a bite because of the milk but it's a very old family recipe and it seems only I can get the thickness and garlic-white pepper-black pepper ratio just right. I don't care for our stuffing-- it's boring and just not worth the carbs/calories. I also usually pass on the mashed potatoes though they are delicious. I load up on the veggies. I am sure many of you will cringe but most of us like cranberry sauce from the can lol ... but we also have my Aunt Ruthie's cranberry walnut salad. The gravy has a wonderful taste from the charcoal grill .. and some of us like it with the roasted onions, carrots and celery included. It used to be a treat my dad would save just for me (the veggie lover) but now my sister and a few others love it too. Of course there are breads and rolls. We don't do appetizers -- it's just too much food. We do start with bloody marys in the morning as I help sister prep and cook.. then move on to cocktails or champagne by afternoon when guests start arriving. There are always MANY pies. I very much dislike pumpkin pie and rarely have room or desire for dessert but the selection is mind numbing. Always a peanut butter pie and usually a couple of apple pies, blueberry, raspberry .. I like a pumpkin roll but don't make one every year. A very traditional, not-so-fancy meal. If I could change it at all ... it wouldn't be much. I'd make a more interesting and flavorful stuffing and add something with wild rice. I'd love a soup too but logistically, it wouldn't work well. PS. It is getting harder and harder to get the onions for the creamed onions. We have tried fresh pearl onions, frozen but the absolute best are Aunt Nellie's Holland-Style onions in a jar. I just ordered 6 jars! I don't know if the recipe is swedish or ukraine (i should research it) but it is from that side of the family. Dad loved them and some of the rest of us like them-- but they are a prized leftover because they are great to add to soups.
    ...See More
  • mjocean
    9 years ago

Hi PrairieMoon,
    Yes, below is the recipe. It is an unorthodox version of the original.

Indian Pudding
    5 cups milk
    1/2 cup finely ground cornmeal
    1/3 to 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 cup butter
    1 teaspoon ginger
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 beaten egg
    Grease a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Bring milk to a rolling simmer in top of a double boiler over high heat, then dribble cornmeal in very slowly, stirring constantly. Continue to cook, still stirring, until meal is softened, about 15 minutes. Slowly stir in molasses, then remove from heat.
    Stir in remaining ingredients and pour mixture into the prepared dish. Bake, uncovered, until pudding is set and top is browned, about 2 hours. Serve hot, topped with cream or ice cream.
    Happy Thanksgiving,
    MJ

This post was edited by mjocean on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 10:22

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Our Canadian Thanksgiving is in October. I always make the Turnip Puff. It can be assembled a day or two before-hand and baked in the oven while the turkey is resting. Even turnip/rutabaga haters love this.

Turnip Puff

6 cups cubed turnips (rutabaga)
    2 tbsp. butter
    2 eggs, beaten
    3 tbsp. flour
    1 tbsp. brown sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    salt and pepper and nutmeg to taste
    1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
    2 tbsp. butter, melted

Cook turnip until tender. Drain and mash. Add butter and eggs. Beat well. (this much can be done the day ahead.)

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir into turnips.

Butter a casserole and put in turnip mixture; combine
    crumbs and butter. Sprinkle on top. Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes or until light brown.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Thanks MJ, that sounds delicious. Definitely going to try that if not for Thanksgiving, then for Christmas.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Pink-Warm, here is the recipe. It was recommended on another board as was stated it was on allrecipes. The plan is to make it a day or two ahead (flavor improved if made ahead per reviewers), then on Tday, will pour the glaze over it. We have high hopes that it will be wonderful.

Apple Harvest Pound Cake with Caramel Glaze

2 cups white sugar or per recommending used 1 c white and 1 c brown
    1 1/2 cups vegetable oil or person recommending used 1 cup oil and 1/2 c applesauce
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3 eggs
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon some reviewer used 1 t
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 medium Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and chopped
    1 cup chopped walnuts person recommending left out nuts
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    2 teaspoons milk
    1/2 cup brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 325 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch Bundt pan.

In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together, then stir into the batter just until blended. Fold in the apples and walnuts using a spoon. Pour into the prepared pan.

Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the crown or the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes then invert on to a wire rack.

Make the glaze by heating the butter, milk and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then remove from the heat. Drizzle over the warm cake. I like to place a sheet of aluminum foil under the cooling rack to catch the drips for easy clean up. 1/2 cup brown sugar

Note: Reviewers said better the second day, so make this at least one day before going to eat.

For the glaze the person recommending this recipe said she increased the ingredients to 1 and 1/2 sticks of butter, 3 tsp of milk, and 3/4 cup of light brown sugar and let it boil for 2 minutes. Afterwards, she removed it from heat and added splash of vanilla. Then she beat it with a spoon until it thickened and was just about to get a little dull. She said it was a very easy cake to make and the best cake she had had in a long time.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Jasdip, thanks for the turnip puff recipe. I love that it's still mostly turnips.

BTW, a favorite of mine is turnip chips, which make a good hors d'oeuvre. Choose a flattish large turnip. The almost disk-shaped (but fat) ones are best. Remove ends and shave slices on a mandoline, as thin as possible. Arrange on parchment on baking sheet and use a ribbon grater to sparsely cover with strong sharp cheddar or other flavorful cheese. Broil at 375° F. until starting to brown.

Prairiemoon2, We have all kinds of alternators in my family. THE Thanksgiving is always at one particular house (at least since the mid-1950's), dinner at 4 pm. Some come every other year. Some come early or late, and only have a nibble, while they go on to a different place. Everybody makes it work. Do the other family have a real need to eat early? Perhaps they work in public service or the ever more imposing retail? If not, or if it's the offspring or offshoots, rather than the hosts, then, yes, you can declare, nicely, after the holiday, that on odd years you'll be having 1 p.m. dinner and on even years you'll be having 4 p.m. dinner, and that all your loved ones who want to be with you should make their plans for the coming year accordingly. And if it's serious with the girlfriend, you can invite her family to join you next year. :)

Perhaps instead of serving a brunch, you could make a light buffet with fruit and vegetables, yoghurt and cottage cheese, a toaster and bread or rolls. Let people nibble, but keep down the fuss and the appetite ruination, and get it out of your kitchen. Have a tub for used dishes, and if you have plastic that you use for the beach or something, more's the better. They can be cleaned during a lull in the kitchen, or if they're spare dishes, the tub can be covered and wait for cleanup time.

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

Thanks for the apple bundt cake recipe Walnutcreek! I like the idea that it "improves with age" because we're leaving for guests' house Wed. and I am going to be very busy Tues. so I would prefer making it today or Mon. It's very similar to the recipe I was going to use, which is a Good Housekeeping one my mom gave me. I liked hearing your tips because I have some home made applesauce that I was going to put in it to sub for some of the oil. Traditional bundt cakes have way too much oil for my taste, although my mom loves that kind of "moist" cake! Anyway, good to hear that my idea would work. I figured it would but nice to hear from someone who did it successfully! I might bring along some caramel sauce to top it too, although I think they are planning on having it for breakfast. Anyway, it's all good and a good thing I have a lot of outside chores to do this week because I need to work off my sudden love affair with all things starch!!

• pink_warm_mama_1
    9 years ago

Walnut Creek: Thank you for sharing your Apple Harvest cake recipe. It sounds great for the holidays and for any time.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Wow! Some great sounding recipes. I think I will skip dinner and join some of you.

Brunch
    Baked Oatmeal de A2gemini (basically 2 cups thick oats, 4 cups milk, 1 cup dried fruit- but always includes Michigan cherries, 1 cup nuts, cinnamon, brown sugar and bake at 375-400 for 45-60 minutes)

Dinner
    Vitamix dried tomato hummus, crackers and veggies
    Spinach pies
    Vitamix holiday squash soup (I haven't tried this one - so hope it works)
    Spatchcocked turkey - rosemary, garlic, black pepper rub)
    Stuffing- Zingermans bread cubes that I dried
    Gravy
    Cranberry sauce - my brother makes this
    Rosemary garlic roasted sweet potatoes
    Veggie TBD but thinking of cauliflower but DB loves Brussel Sprouts
    Dessert - "Booze pie" - a family recipe for a cognac enhanced pumpkin pie and my nieces awesome apple pie.

• lucky123
    9 years ago

Dinner for Two (perhaps four)
    17 lb Turkey, gravy and mashed potatoes, yams, corn, cranberry sauce, Waldorf salad, eggnog and pumpkin pie.
    Plain as Plain but what leftovers! Hot turkey sandwiches smothered in gravy on homemade bread; turkey casseroles with cream sauce, sherry and almonds; turkey soup with homemade French bread and more..because the leftovers are the best part of any thanksgiving.
    We will feast ..and feast on that bird.

• annie1992
    9 years ago

Prairiemoon, my dinner has been moved so far from 4 pm to noon to 1 pm to 2 pm. Ashley will be here at noon and the kids will have a snack and Madi will help me cook something. She's 3, so it'll be simple, LOL. She has to be at her Dad's at 2 so she'll eat dinner there. Amanda has to work the night before and doesn't get out of work until 7 am, home by 8 am, and at her in-laws' home for brunch at 10 am. dinner here at 2 pm. Mother will be here at noon to see Ashley and the girls, eat dinner here at 2 and then go to another home with my brother's daughter for dessert. It's relatively crazy.....

sleevendog, I'd ditch my turkey and join you in an instant, it sounds delicious, especially all the seafood!

Jasdip, I'm saving that recipe. I love both turnips and rutabaga, and I think I still have some rutabaga in the root cellar.

walnutcreek, thanks for that recipe too, it sounds delicious and I love all things caramel!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Annie

• dancingqueengw
    9 years ago

PrairieMoon here is the flourless chocolate cake recipe

Tools
    9 inch cake pan, or springform pan wrapped well 2 x in foil
    Parchment paper to line pan
    1 1/2 tsp butter to butter pan
    3/4 cup heavy cream, whipped into soft peaks
    6 Tbsp sugar
    5 eggs and 2 more yolks
    6 Tbsp strong brewed coffee
    10 onces high quality bittersweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 350
    Butter cake pan, line with parchemtn and butter again. Can also use a springform pan
    Betw whipped cream until soft peaks, not stiff. Set aside
    Mix eggs with sugar in bowl and heat over a pan of simmering water only to room temperature. Beat until quadrupled, 15 to 20 minutes
    Melt chocolate and coffee in a bolw over simmering water. Set aside until sugar mixture is ready
    Fold 1/4 egg mixture into melted chocolate, stirring well
    Fold this mixture into remaining egg mixture and add whipped cream
    Pour into prepared cake pan. Place cake pan into larger pan and add hot water up to 1 inch. I actually put my springform into another cake pan and put that pan into my roaster then fill the roaster with water. A tip I got on this forum!
    Bake at 350 for 1 hour, Toothpick should come out clean
    Turn off oven and keep cake inside for 30 minutes while still in water bath.
    Remove from oven but keep in water bath for 30 more minutes
    Serve at room temperature for the best texture. Serve with whipped cream. If you serve cold this becomes much more dense.

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

It is just the two of us. We decided to volunteer at our town's Thanksgiving dinner, sponsored by one of the churches here. Should be fun. But I am enjoying reading about what you all are fixng. Yum!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are eating at noon to accommodate my brother & family as they have a second T dinner to go to. I don't like eating that early and they will all pick at the meal, but it's ok.

Gladys, That is great! I would do that every year if I weren't cooking for family. All the cooking, btw.
    I help with our local soup kitchen frequently and it always make me happy to do so.

• ruthanna_gw
    9 years ago

A bit off topic but wanted to share this idea. DD went to a Thanksgiving event last night for 8 to 12 year olds and made these cupcakes for one of the refreshments. The "stuffing" was two kinds of crushed breakfast cereal mixed with some green nonpareils on caramel icing.

• cookingrvc
    9 years ago

Omg Ruthanna. That is adorable!!!

Happy Thankgiving everyone!

Sue

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Pillog, thanks for sharing your holiday strategies. It’s always nice to see how others handle the ‘alternators’. I’m not sure yet whether the other family has a need to eat early, but will find that out. Good question. I was also thinking that last year, although they came late for dinner on Thanksgiving, they came early in the morning for Christmas for gift giving and missed dinner entirely. It’s an adjustment, when you are used to not having to share. :-) Inviting her family next year. That’s a thought too. We also have been thinking about making the brunch meal, simpler, good suggestions. You seem to have a lot of experience in this area and it sounds like you have a big family who enjoys being together.

Annie, you really do have a lot of accommodations to make. I can see you still have your sense of humor about it and with that kind of schedule, I guess that is a necessity. :-) Your poor Amanda! What a day she will have. I hope she has Friday off. We also have two boys who work the night before. Luckily though our daughter has the day off Wednesday and will be here all day to help prep and just hang out. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone and for a change we seem to be on track with preparation which helps.

Dancingqueen, can I assume you are an ABBA fan? I have that song on my playlist.
    :-) Thank you for that recipe for a flourless cake. I sometimes have trouble with grains, so that may be something I can substitute with. I always wondered how they make a flourless cake taste so dense. Whipped cream and 5 eggs, wow, that is really calorie/saturated fat heaven. lol Definitely would have to limit it to serving only on the holidays at our house. :-)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

A2gemini: I love your recipe for baked oatmeal and would like to make it. One question, what are thick oats? Does that mean not quick oats?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

In re Prairiemoon's question --- I don't serve it with a dip, but i am very picky about my fruit, so honestly it does not need it. Fruit platters have (and crudites for that matter) gotten a bad name because of all the lousy ones supermarkets make.

I only put the very best fruit out, and only ripe fruit. I can usually find good mangoes if I let them ripen a day or two. Same with a fresh pineapple which I cut up myself. I find raspberries to be very reliable this time of year, strawberries are touch and go, and kiwi is usually no problem. Clementines are also perfect ... I slice mine in rounds and toss them on, too. And, to my great surprise, lately I am able to get good watermelon this time of year. I buy my fruit at a specialty store and ask them what is good; they will often cut something open for me to taste.

The Shoprite platter in a plastic dome with hard-as-a-rock pale melons, tasteless strawbs, and pineapple where the coring machine was off a bit so you can't even eat it? I go crazy when people serve those. They often end up in the trash. If you really put care into it, fruit platters fly off the plate.

Of course, apples and pears are great this time of year but it is harder to make them look sexy enough to compete on the table. (raw and unadorned, at least). Red seedless grapes are also pretty good now (nice firm ones). I think they look nicest draped in large bunches (washed of course). Just put the bunch on a platter, and poke the sciccors around to snip them in to manageable bundles in place ... so they still look great but people can take some without arm wrestling them.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

I now have a slight menu change. I was watching the local news yesterday morning and they had a chef on who made the most amazing sauce for baked sweet potatoes. It was butter, melted over relatively high heat, throw in some cinnamon and nutmeg, honey, brown sugar and bring to a boil, add in some flour (I think it was 1 or 2 Tablespoons), cook for a couple of minutes then dump in some already-cooked cranberries and pecans and heat through. (He said proportions were approximate; to use however much of each ingredient appeals to you.) I was ready to lick the TV screen! I bet this would be scrumptious over pancakes or waffles, also. I'm thinking of maybe adding some grated orange peel with the cranberries. One thing he did, though, that I won't is after he cut open the sweet potatoes and poured the sauce over, he stuffed each of them with marshmallows and used a little propane torch to brown them. Marshmallows I can live without!
    And DS has requested that instead of the healthier broccoli with a light cheese sauce, would I make traditional and NOT healthy broccoli/rice/cheese casserole. I only get to see him a couple of times a year so how can I say "no"! I try, really I do, to make a lighter feast, but nobody will cooperate (including TV chefs that make things that just sound TOO good!!!)
    Edie

• Chi
    9 years ago

Here's our menu. We are expecting between 9 and 11 people. I designed my menu this year to have a lot of make-ahead options as otherwise Thanksgiving day becomes hours of stress and no enjoyment! Last year my guests ended up having to help cook and wash dishes to get dinner on the table and I don't want to repeat that! I plan to have almost everything done by Wednesday night so that on Thursday I just have to bake everything and assemble a couple of the fresh options.

Appetizers:
    Stuffed Mushrooms - Brie and French Onion
    Bruschetta
    Baked Brie en Croûte with Apple Compote
    Spinach Feta Dip with pita chips
    Guinness and Cheddar Dip with pretzels

Main Dishes:
    Turkey
    Gravy
    Stuffing - mix of french bread and cornbread
    Mashed Potatoes
    Candied Sweet Potatoes
    Sweet Potatoes with Sage Crumbs
    Butternut Squash Puree
    Green Bean Casserole
    Whisky Glazed Carrots
    Roasted Brussels Sprouts
    Fresh Corn Casserole
    Cranberry Sauce - sweet and jezebel
    Honey Yeast Rolls

Desserts:
    Caramel Apple Cheesecake Pie
    Pumpkin Cream Pie
    Chocolate Peanut Butter Tart

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

Edie I feel your pain. For years I have made lighter Thanksgiving meals which is to my taste and some of my guests, but my family wants rich gloppy versions of everything. So I don't fight it anymore, it's only once a year. I make this wonderful stuffing with wild rice and feta and a mirepoix, etc. and nobody likes it except me. They all say, "It's good, but it's just not traditional enough for us, we just want bread stuffing, no cheese, no rice!" So OK, I give up! But now that I have an SO, there is a battle of "traditions." Dad likes sweet potatoes with a sweet sauce, BF thinks plain baked sweet potatoes are "traditional." etc., etc. No wonder some folks have so many dishes at the table! This year I just get to show up and smile . . . ! And if my diabetic mom whines that there is no mincemeat pie (she is the ONLY one who likes it) I know it is not my problem! I am lucky to have her around and would normally indulge her and bake a whole pie just so she can have a slice or two. But I am glad that this year I won't have to figure out what to do with the mountains of leftovers I end up with, because I fixed something for the one person who liked it.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Since we moved to Tx, 8 yrs ago, we've been guests of my husband's high school friends (my friends in quick order!).

Her mother brings several things, including some very traditional dishes that everyone looks forward to eating...including my kids. She said lots of people are coming, but really has no idea how many.

The hostess has her line-up. But, she has very firm ideas how things should be prepared, so my additions/substitutions haven't always meshed with her ideas. It's much easier when she tells me exactly what she needs. I follow orders very well! OK, I do when I'm asked by hosts ;)

This year she told me to bring "whatever". ?!?!?!?! That doesn't always end well for me because I overlap what she's serving or it's not to her taste. I have some sparkling wine for appetizers (we eat dinner at around 7pm) and a bottle of red for later. I'm bringing a cheese board type of thing for the appetizer, and Ina Garten's snap-pea, pancetta, parmesan salad to contrast the rich, traditional dishes.

The cheese board...any advice or suggestions would be great. We're not necessarily foodie/sophisticated but really enjoy marrying flavors. I made a Boursin type spread and I have some Stilton, a Leicester, and am making a Farmers cheese (ricotta-like recipe) with a drizzle of dandelion jelly that didn't gel. Crackers, salami, flavored/roasted nuts and fruit.

I was trying to keep it simple but cheese boards get out of control fast!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

How about a triple creme like a St Andre?
    And maybe a gimmicky cheese like the ones with apricot or cranberry in them?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Like white Stilton with cranberry? :-) I LOVE that!

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

Alex when it come to cheese, it is all so good! I love St. Andre and I also love the stuff with dried fruits in it, like cranberry. But you really can't go wrong with a cheese board. I know some folks don't like blue cheeses and the ones with rind like brie but there's always another kind for them to enjoy. That dandelion jelly sounds FAB.

Here's the apple walnut cake, just out of the oven. I'm going to bring caramel sauce to put on it when it gets served. I don't think we are going to serve it until Friday. I hope it stays good. I'm gonna double wrap it in foil. Maybe I should freeze it?

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I despise dried fruit. I know, that's my problem! I'm not sure who else, besides DH and I, will partake of a blue. I'll look for St. Andre. I have one store that has a nice selection and one other that's OK, within reasonable distance.

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

I love schmoozing with my cheese monger and asking for the free samples! Blessed are the cheesemakers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Monty Python Cheese Shop skit

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Lpink, cakes usually freeze beautifully. Often they seem more moist after freezing, too.

I'm off to sample some cheese today!

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

lpink, do you need the directions to my house LOL!!! That looks so yummy. I think it looks like the kind of cake that wouldn't hurt to be in the freezer for a few days.
    I was going over everything last night to be sure I have everything I need... ACK!!! Went to the store Sunday evening, forgot of all things to get the bread for the stuffing!!!! So now my lunch break today is going to be spent fighting the crowds. Jeesh!!!
    My fave cheese is Havarti with dill. I'm the only person that I know of in my or DH's family that will eat it though so I never buy it anymore. Good luck with the tasting!
    Edie

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

My SO was in the grocery store last night and they were out of canned pumpkin (and real ones) and graham cracker crusts! He wants to make pumpkin cheesecake. He asked me, "Will acorn squash work?" I said I didn't think so, but sweet potatoes might. Apparently with a nor'easter predicted where he is, there was a run on the store. I hope he can find what he needs at another place, lol! I told him he could make his own crust out of graham crackers but he wasn't on board for that. And he might have to go with pineapple cheesecake. Poor thing! ;)

Edie you can come to our house with the dill havarti! We can hardly keep the stuff in stock.

This post was edited by lpinkmountain on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 12:07

• Cloud Swift
    9 years ago

Butternut squash usually works well (and possibly better than) pumpkin.

Sleevendog and Bumblebeez, please post your recipes for the Gran Marnier or bourbon cranberry sauces.

Thanksgiving day will be a vegetarian meal at our son's house.
    DIL is making stuffed shells with butternut squash and kale as well as a pumpkin and a pecan pie and I'm not sure what else.

DH will make challah rolls and I'm making a layered biryani with almonds, cashews and a layer of vegetables. I might make a spice cookie of some sort - maybe hermits depending on how time goes.

Friday will be turkey day - possibly using one of the deconstructed roast turkey recipes. I'm just about to start baking a loaf of bread with corn meal to use in the stuffing. Mashed potatoes and gravy. Green beans - probably a simple preparation like blanched then heated with a bit of lime juice (our lime tree is full) and herbs.Challah..

There's a sugar pie pumpkin on the counter from our CSA box - not sure how to use that yet.

• maggie2094
    9 years ago

Ruthanna, love the cupcakes so much!!!

Today was the shopapocalypse here between impending snow storm and Thanksgiving! Lol

Pretty traditional here:

The appies serve as lunch.

Spinach Dip in pumpernickel bread
    Cheese, crackers, salami, red grades and apples
    Olives
    Onion dip and Chips
    Stuffed mushrooms
    Celery stuffed with cream cheese and olives

Roast Turkey
    Bread Stuffing
    Mashed Potatoes
    Sweet potato casserole
    Green bean casserole
    Brussel Sprouts
    Glazed Carrots
    Red Cabbage
    Cranberry Sauce
    Date Bread and Parker house rolls

Dessert will be a Pumpkin Pie, Banana Creme Pie, nabisco chocolate wafer refrigerator cake

Will be pouring a sparkling Rose with apps, Washington State Riesling and Beaujolais nouveau with dinner. Irish creme with coffee.

More wine...;)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• plllog
    9 years ago

Cloud Swift, Sugar pies are really just small pumpkins that aren't very stringy. I peel them with a regular peeler, but go over them twice. I use them in my pumpkin lasagna, and I think that's what I used in the pumpkin empanadas from Epicurious. They're great just roasted, and also in pumpkin soup.

Okay, rereading, I'm thinking you might have meant you weren't sure what it was going to be, rather than literally how to use it, but my pumpkin lasagna is awesome. :) E-mail me if you want the recipe.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

The NY Times recently did A write up on pumpkin pie and they said it is better with butternut squash!

See the recipe and article here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/dining/a-fresh-pumpkin-pie-recipe.html

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

Weird about butternut squash with pumpkin pie. I thought it was hubbard squash. I know that is what they use in canned pumpkin. I love hubbard squash but rarely buy it because those babies are so ginormous! Mom was telling me the other day that I should roast and then freeze it. I found a small one and made the best dishes with it! BF found canned pumpkin at another store but he also has a butternut squash he was asking me what to do with. We're gonna have to try it in "pumpkin" pie or some kind of sweet dish. I usually just roast it. We love squash in my family and my SO loves it too, something we agree on, yay! I really miss having a big family so I could buy all the big squashes at the market. I have had so many squash go bad on me. I'm gonna have to find a better way to store them or something. I thought squash was good for long term storage but the last hubbard squash I bought molded on me. Anyway, now I'm gonna have to try it in some sweet dishes! Such great tips here!

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

1 cup bourbon
    1/4 cup minced shallots
    Grated zest of 1 orange
    One 12-ounce package of fresh cranberries, picked over
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    In a small nonreactive saucepan, combine the bourbon, shallots and orange zest. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, then simmer, stirring occasionally, until the bourbon is reduced to a syrupy glaze, about 10 minutes.
    Add the cranberries and sugar, stirring well until the sugar dissolves. Lower the heat slightly and simmer, uncovered, until most of the cranberries have burst, about 10 minutes.
    Remove from the heat and stir in the pepper. Transfer to a bowl, let cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate.
    MAKE AHEAD This relish can be made several days before serving.
    FROM FAVORITE THANKSGIVING RECIPES
    PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 1993 food and wine mag

--I just use 1/4 cup sugar and a gulp of maple syrup, and a pinch of fresh thyme.

• mtnester
    9 years ago

Cloud Swift, if you're still trying to decide what to do with that pumpkin, here's a recipe you might like. I've never made it myself, but I've had it several times at the Helmand Restaurant in Baltimore, and it's fantastic.

Sue

Kaddo Bowrani (Afghani Baked Pumpkin) from The Helmand Restaurant in Baltimore

Makes: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:

For pumpkin:
    1 small pumpkin (baby or spookies work best)
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    Cinnamon

For Yogurt Sauce:
    1 cup plain yogurt
    1 teaspoon fresh-cut diced garlic
    Dash salt

Slice pumpkin and remove seeds. Peel outer skin. Slice 2-inch pieces lengthwise. Place oil in skillet pan and heat to medium heat. Add pumpkin. Cook on medium heat covered for approximately 10 minutes, turning once. Remove from pan and place in small roasting or baking pan. Sprinkle the pumpkin with the sugar and cinnamon. Cover tightly. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minute or until soft. Time may differ according to the hardness of the pumpkin.

For yogurt sauce, stir ingredients together until smooth.

Serve pumpkin warm with yogurt sauce and a peppery flatbread.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Sue,

That sounds great! I think I'd go easy on the sugar with a sweetie pie, but I'm definitely going to try it.

JC

• jakkom
    9 years ago

Actually, if you use sweeter pumpkins I wouldn't even use any sugar. Pumpkins in Asia aren't very sweet at all, that's why they add it. But here - like overcooking meat* - it's unnecessary.

* it took me years to get my Hong Kong-born spouse off well-done meat. As he pointed out, when you buy meat everyday in the market, and it's covered with flies, you ALWAYS cook your meat to death!

• moonwolf_gw
    9 years ago

We already ate our meal (my parents and I). But here's what we have.

Roast Chicken
    Roast Turkey Breast
    Mashed Potatoes (instant)
    Gravy
    Stuffing
    Corn
    Noodles
    Sweet Potatoes
    Pumpkin Pie (too full to enjoy any right now lol).
    Fruit Punch Soda mixed with Squirt (a grapefruit soda-one of my favorites!)

So much to be thankful for this past year! I'm thankful for my friends old and new, my family, my abilities of gardening, cooking, writing, needlecrafts, and an imagination that allows me to express that creativity with everyone :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

So we are all in tryptophan nirvana. Never did get dessert made and that's OK, we didn't have room for it anyway. Leftovers are put away and DH is finishing the dishes (what a guy!) Hope everyone's dinners were yummy and good times had by all. I feel very blessed.
    Edie

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

okay, I'll bite

turkey
    giblet stuffing
    lettuce salads
    deviled eggs
    olives/pickles
    butternut squash
    parsnips
    sweet potato empinadas
    green bean casserole x2
    rhodes orange rolls
    broiled lemon-parsley coconut milk marinated cauliflower steaks
    crock-pot garlic in EVOO for those who wanted it to spread on something
    homemade sangria for gwamma and gwampa (the chefs)

cherry pie
    pumpkin pie
    apple pie
    peach pie

plus some oven dinner rolls to munch on through the night
    with leftovers and swedish meatballs.

a traditional meal for 12

dessert usually comes several hours after … which is okay

I bought an extra turkey breast to ensure leftovers

dave

• KatieC
    9 years ago

We had a lovely, simple dinner with The Kid, her husband and his dad. A friend raised a turkey for us, which we presalted on Tuesday (thankyou Ann_T!). I've roasted a few turkeys and this was possibly the best one we've ever had.

Smashed garlic potatoes and green beans from the garden, made some stuffing bread for dressing, sweet potatoes and cranberry chutney. Deviated from the norm because of The Kid's gluten free status and made cornstarch gravy. I made broth last weekend, so I used that and saved the drippings and some broth to make 'regular' flour gravy for tomorrow's reruns. She made some pretty good GF rolls, too.

I hope you all avoided family drama, ate way too much and have lots to be thankful for.

• plllog
    9 years ago

We had a lovely Thanksgiving meal. Small crowd this year, but that made it easy to hear conversations. :)

The ice cream cousin made a two layer ice cream in cake form with a golden oreo base and caramel and pecan top. That beat out my homely peanutbutter popover blondies. :) Those who ate them loved them and were telling others to try them, but there were also pumpkin and apple pies from the pie cousin and a chocolate mousse pie in honor of a cousin no longer with us. All of that after the starchapalooza, so not many takers. :)

There were plenty of crudites on the coffee table, and my guacamole, plus a tsimis (carrots with dried fruit), but I didn't see any green beans, and the pickles and olives never made it to the table. :) I, for one, was glad to have my vegetable kugel, and it seemed to go over quite well. :)

Most of all, we had a relaxed time catching up on the (personal) news, and enjoying all the old relationships that family is all about (they're all very nice).

I hope you all had lovely holidays as well.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    9 years ago

"----Most of all, we had a relaxed time catching up on the (personal) news, and enjoying all the old relationships that family is all about (they're all very nice).---"

That why I like Thanksgiving, Food, Friends, Family, and Fun. FFFF!

No pressure of gift shopping / giving /re-gifting /exchanging /returning /sending.

dcarch

• blizlady
    9 years ago

All your dinners sound delicious! Ours was just for 4 of us and I did an 11 pound turkey, cornbread dressing, mashed taters & gravy, sweet potato casserole, jiffy corn casserole, the green bean dish, fresh cranberries and the canned jelled cranberries. But instead of regular pumpkin pie, I made this pumpkin cream cheese dump cake that was so good! The only thing I would change with the recipe is to add a little more milk to the cream cheese layer so that it is easier to pipe. I had to glob mine on top of the pumpkin layer, but it was still perfect! The cake mix on top with the melted butter became a streusel type topping.

PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE DUMP CAKE
    Ingredients:
    8 oz. cream cheese
    3/4 C. powdered sugar
    2 tsp. milk
    1 can (29 oz.) pumpkin puree
    1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
    3 eggs
    1 1/4 C. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
    1 yellow cake mix (dry)
    1/2 C. butter, melted
    1 Tbsp. cinnamon sugar mixture, optional
    whipped cream

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 X 14 pan.
    2. Using a mixer (a KitchenAid or hand held) combine cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Set aside.
    3. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Pour into prepared pan.
    4. Put cream cheese filling into a small ZipLock bag, and snip off the tip the make a mini piping bag. Then pipe over the pumpkin filling (see photo).
    5. Pour the dry cake mix over the cream cheese layer then poke holes using the end of a wooden spoon or a table knife through the cake mix until you hit the filling (not to the bottom of the pan).
    6. Pour melted butter over the dry cake mix.
    7. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the entire cake for extra flavor and crunch.
    8. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top is browned and an instead knife comes out clean.
    9. Let cool and serve with whipped cream! (Store in fridge)

Here is a link that might be useful: pumpkin cream cheese dump cake

• maggie2094
    9 years ago

This is happening...

Pumpkin pie milkshakes.

Stretchy pants still in the line up :)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Some beautiful pictures and delicious recipes.

Walnut - I buy thick oats in the whole foods bulk section. They are rolled oats but thicker than standard or quick oats. You can use steel cut or standard oats but I prefer the thick oats