Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Need Your Best Swiss Steak Recipe...

Posted by bulldinkie (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 18:27

My mother made the most delicious swiss steak I ever had,she died when I was 18 so I cant get the recipe,She would make venison sometimes.Id say is the reg or deer meat.Shed say reg.When we were done scarfing shed say deer meat.I didnt know ,it was sooo tender,gravy.Now this isnt the one with peppers, this I watched her make it she dredged the meat in flour.fry it then pour I think water in onions omg it was delicious,my hubby is a big hunter,carribou,elk,deer,bear

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Need Your Best Swiss Steak Recipe...

I hope you get a great recipe here...it's been years since I have had it. Yum!

o

There are so many variations of Swiss Steak. And many recipes contain tomatoes.

I use the same recipe I use for my Salisbury steak, subbing sirloin or round steak in place of the ground beef.

Salisbury Steak In Mushroom And Green Peppercorn Sauce
======================================================
2 Pounds of ground Sirloin
1 onion finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 Teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
Salt and Pepper to taste

Sauce

1/2 small onion chopped
1 garlic clove minced
1 Tablespoon green peppercorns (dried not brined)
Fresh Mushrooms sliced
2 Tablespoons Flour
Broth 2 to 3 cups (Beef or chicken)
Pan drippings plus 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter or oil.

Saute onions in 2 Tablespoons of olive oil until tender but not browned. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. In a bowl combined ground sirloin, parsley, thyme, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper. Add onions and garlic and mix well. (I use my hands).Form into oval shaped patties. (I made 5 nice size ones from the 2 pounds, but you could make smaller if you prefer). Brown the patties in a heavy skillet in a little olive oil. You can also brown these in a grill pan. Remove the meat from the pan. Add a little more oil if needed and saute the onions, garlic and mushrooms. Sprinkle with a little flour, cook for a couple of minutes and add the broth and the green peppercorns. Add the patties to the pan, cover and simmer on low for at least one hour. Make sure there is enough sauce to almost cover the steaks.

NOTE: Make a version of Swiss Steak using Sirloin or Round Steak.

o

Here is one from Food Network/Paula Deen....don't generally like her "too fatty" recipes but this one is really good. IF you DO NOT use the 1/3 cup of oil to brown the steaks. That much is not required, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan...couple of tablespoons is what I use. I also use cubed steak, and homegrown fresh or frozen tomatoes.

Swiss Steak
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Prep Time:
10 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
1 hr 30 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
4 servings

Ingredients
1 round steak (approximately 1 1/2 pounds), see note
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper
All-purpose flour, for dusting
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (14-1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, cut into strips
1 medium bell pepper, cut into strips
Directions
Cut steak into serving-size pieces. Season, to taste, with garlic powder and salt and pepper. Dust meat with flour. In heavy skillet, brown both sides of meat in vegetable oil. Transfer to Dutch oven. Combine garlic, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, and 1 tomato-can measure of water. Pour over steak and simmer over low heat until meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours adding water, if necessary to keep meat partially covered. Season, to taste, with additional salt and pepper. Hint: Cook this in a slow-cooker, according to manufacturers instructions, on low for a most fabulous dinner. Low heat on a slow cooker is about 200 degrees F and high heat on a slow cooker is about 300 degrees F.
Note: to ensure tenderness, it is necessary to have the butcher run the round steak through a cuber.
Printed from FoodNetwork.com on Sat Jan 08 2011
� 2011 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved

o

Here is the recipe I have used for years. IMO, it is just the best.

THE BEST EVER SWISS STEAK

1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 pounds round steak, tenderized
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
2 cups chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 beef bouillon cube
1 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons flour

In large plastic bag, combine 1/2 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt. Cut round steak into serving size pieces. Place in bag with flour and coat very well. Heat oil in Dutch oven; put the flour left from coating the meat into the boil, add meat and brown. Add garlic, green pepper, celery, and onion; cook and stir for 10 minutes. Dilute the beef bouillon cube in 1 cup boiling water. Add undrained canned diced tomatoes, diluted bouillon, soy sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours. Remove from the oven and place on a top burner. In a small bowl, combine water and 2 tablespoons flour; stir into juices. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.

Yummy!!! Serve with mashed potatoes, salad, Baked Carrots, and biscuits.

BAKED CARROTS

1 pound carrots cut into sticks*
1 bunch green onions with tops, chopped
1 cup boiling water
1 chicken bouillon cube

Dilute chicken bouillon cube in the 1 cup boiling water. Place carrot sticks and chopped green onions in an ungreased 1-quart casserole dish. Pour bouillon over all. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.

*You can also use a 1-pound bag of baby carrots to save time.

Serve with The Best Swiss Steak Ever, mashed potatoes, salad, and biscuits. If preparing to serve with Swiss steak, put in oven along with the Swiss steak during the last hour of baking.

o

Dink, I use round steak that has been cube, or tenderized. Dredge it in flour and salt and pepper. Brown it in butter or oil, and put in a roasting pan, or dutch oven, something oven proof that the meat will fit in nicely. I add onions to it. Once the meat is browned, I make a gravy in the pan with the drippings and maybe more butter and flour, adding water when the roue is ready, then pour it over the meat and bake at 350-375� for 1 1/2- 2 hours until very tender. This is the way mom made hers except she just used round steak and cut the flour into the meat. Otherwise, we did it the same.

Tami

o

I, too, use the Paula Deen recipe as a base, also cutting the oil and my husband and I really like it. It is so simple and satisfying.

o

I use Ann T's recipe, my Grandma's included the tomatoes and peppers, which I don't really care for in this particular dish.

Mmmm. Now I'm going to have to make some.

I have used the crockpot for swiss steak, browning the steak then topping with onions. I pour the gravy over top, made from a roux with fat left in the pan used to brown the steak and some home canned beef broth.

However, my girls tell me that is NOT swiss steak, that's beef in gravy, perfect for hot beef sandwiches. Whatever, they still liked it.

Annie

o

Here are the two I've made for years. I'm not sure which one we like best, it depends on the day. I usually toss chopped garlic in to both. Simple ingredients, but with good beef....mmmmm....

I can quarts of chopped and simmered down tomatoes with carrots, onions, celery and green pepper for this. It's from the 70's Joy of Cooking, I think.

Swiss Steak

2 pounds round steak -- trimmed of fat
seasoned flour
1/2 cup onion -- chopped
1/2 cup carrots -- chopped
1/2 cup celery -- chopped
1/2 cup green pepper -- chopped
1 pint tomatoes, canned -- (or a 15 oz. can)
1 cup beef broth

Cut round steak into serving size pieces and pound in seasoned flour. Brown in a little oil. Place in a casserole dish.

Saute onion, carrots, celery and peppers until limp. Stir in tomatoes and broth. Pour over steak and bake 1 1/2-2 hours at 325F.

Thicken the gravy if necessary, and serve over mashed potatoes.

-------------

From Betty Groff's Country Goodness Cookbook:

Swiss Steak With Mushrooms

2 pounds round steak -- trimmed of fat
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onions
flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups beef broth -- (I use paste type soup base)

Saute the onions and mushrooms for about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.

Pound flour into beef and brown in remaining butter. Add broth and vegetables. Cover and simmer on low until very tender, about 45 minutes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here