SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whgille

Please share your best carrot recipes...

whgille
11 years ago

I hope that all of you had a nice Thanksgiving dinners and enjoyed family and friends time.

Can you share any recipes that you have for carrots? It is that time of the year in my garden that carrots are ready for harvest and I like to cook with carrots.

In past harvests I made carrot pickles, quick sweet carrot bread, carrot cake, roasted carrots, carrot soup.

The recipes can be a side dish, an appetizer, main dish and if you have a savory carrot bread, I would love that so I can freeze and enjoy later.

Roasted carrots with herbs

Carrot cake

Silvia

Comments (26)

• foodonastump
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Silvia - Coincidentally, just yesterday I was thinking about a recipe for corn fritters and scallops, posted by Lori, a former "regular" here. When I searched for the thread and saw that almost three years ago I had declared it was "in my list of top favorite things I've ever made," I decided it's time to make them again. Here's the recipe, and a link to the past thread.

Seared Scallops, Carrot Fritters and a Yoghurt Dressing

12 medium-sized scallops, intestinal tract removed
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    sea salt
    freshly ground black pepper

to serve
    carrot fritters (below)
    yoghurt dressing (below)
    watercress

Place the scallops in a bowl, add the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat and cook the scallops for 1 minute each side.

Place 3 carrot fritters on a plate, top with the watercress and scallops and drizzle with the yoghurt dressing. Season with pepper. Serves 4.

Carrot Fritters
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup club soda
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/4 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon superfine sugar
    1 teaspooon sea salt
    1 small red chili, seeded and finely chopped
    1-1/2 cups grated carrot
    8 green onions (scallions), finely sliced
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro
    1/4 cup vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 315 F. Place the flour, club soda, egg, cumin, coriander, turmeric, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix well. Add the chili, carrot, green onions, and cilantro and stir to combine. Heat a frying pan on a mdium to high heat, add the oil and heat until hot. Cooking in batches, add 2 tablespoons of batter per fritter and cook for 2 minutes each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Cook teh remaining fritter batter, adding extra olive oil if necessary. Place the fritters on an ovenproof plate lined with paper towels and keep warm in the oven while you cook the scallops.

Yoghurt Dressing
    1/2 cup plain yoghurt
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    sea salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk.

Here is a link that might be useful: scallop with carrot fritters

• lindac
    11 years ago

Hmm? Carrots?
    My mother and I also always made "pink potatoes" as a way to get some vegetables into toddlers...potatoes and carrots cooked and mashed together.
    And then there is "orange carrots...no real recope, but boil the carrots in as little an amount of water as you can to get them almost tender....add "some" orangejuice enough to just cover the carrots, and a pat of butter, or 2.. and cook until the juice is reduced and forms a little thick sauce.....also good with a few gratings of ginger as you reduce the sauce.
    And there's this soup.
    Sherried Carrot Soup

1 onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    6 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3 cups chicken broth
    1/4 cup medium-dry Sherry, or to taste
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    White pepper to taste
    Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish

Cook carrots and onion in chicken broth over medium heat for 20 minutes or until tender. Put that mixture and remaining ingredients, except parsley, into food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Chill and serve. Garnish with parsley.
    And this
    Cardamom Carrots
    Ingredients:
    1/4 cup orange juice
    2 pounds carrots, cut into 2-inch julienne strips
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cardamom
    1 teaspoon grated orange peel
    Directions:
    1. Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add carrots and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. In a large skillet, combine the orange juice, butter, brown sugar, cardamom and orange peel. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Add carrots; toss to coat.

and these pickles;
    Carrots pickled elphaba
    peel 10 medium sized carrots (better too many than not enough)
    slice carrots on the diagonal
    mince 1 large jalapeno in food processor
    add carrot slices and jalapeno bits from processor to collander over a bowl, stir 2 tsp of salt thoroughly into raw carrots and jalapeno and cover collander with a dish cloth for 3 or more hours (there may be lots of liquid at bottom of bowl after it sits)
    start sauce pan with 1 cup of white vinegar and 1 cup of water, 1 tablespoon of black peppercorns and 3 bay leaves and carrot mixture (don't need to rinse and don't add liquid from bowl). When saucepan boils (after around 13 to 15 minutes or so depending on your stove/longitude/etc) turn off heat and let carrots sit until cool. Spoon into jars and fill jars with vinegar water from the saucepan after carrots have all been added. Chill. Carrots are better after they have chilled 24 hours in my opinion. Others may disagree.
    usually makes around 2 pint jars of pickled carrots, sometimes a little more depending on the size of carrots originally used.

And this....lovely in individual ramekins
    1/2 cup crushed corn flakes -- or walnuts 3 tablespoons brown sugar 2 teaspoons butter -- room temperature
    � FOR THE SOUFFLE:
    � 1 pound carrots, cooked -- until tender
    � 3 eggs
    � 1/3 cup sugar
    � 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    � 1 teaspoon vanilla
    � 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter � melted
    � Dash of nutmeg
    � Pinch of salt -- (optional)
    � Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    � For the topping: Combine the crushed corn flakes or walnuts, brown sugar and butter. Set aside. Puree the cooked carrots and the eggs in a blender (do not use a food processor). Add the sugar, flour, vanilla, butter, nutmeg and salt and blend. Pour into a 1 1/2-quart pan or souffle dish and bake for 40 minutes. Spread the topping over the souffle and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer, until the topping is lightly browned.

And of course there is Peter Rabbit salad....grated carrots mixed with a little mayo and a few raisins.

And that salad called copper pennies...don't have the recipe...but it contains canned tomato soup...

And this from Nancy...had good reviews from the people I have given it to.
    Carrot Cake Jam

1 1/2 cups grated, peeled carrots
    1 1/2 cups cored, peeled pears
    1 3/4 cups canned pineapple, including juice
    3 T lemon juice
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1 package of powdered pectin
    6 1/2 cups sugar

In a large saucepan, combine carrots, pears, pineapple with juice, lemon juice, and spices. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in pectin until dissolved. Bring back to a full boil, add sugar all at once, bring back to another boil and boil hard for 1 minute.

Remove from heat, skim off foam. Ladle into prepared jars with 1/4 inch head space. Process jars in a BWB for 5 minutes for sterilized jars, or 10 minutes for unsterilized jars.

Makes 6 half pints.

And my favorite carrot recipe!

Carrot cake Julie T�s
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tsps cinnamon
    1 8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
    2 cups grated carrots
    1/2 cup raisins chopped with 1 Tablespoon of flour
    Buttermilk glaze
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    1/4 cup butter
    1 Tblsp light corn syrup
    1 tsp vanilla
    Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
    1/2 cup softened butter
    4 oz softened cream cheese
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1 tsp orange juice
    1 tsp grated orange rind
    Preheat oven to 350
    With a mixer Beat eggs, add oil and buttermilk, sugar and vanilla. beat to combine. Stir together flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda and stir into batter. stir in pineapple, carrots and raisins.
    Pour into a greased 8 by 13 pan or 2 greased round 9 inch cake pans. Bake 35 to 45 minutes until set in the middle. Remove from the oven and immediatly spread with the buttermilk glaze. Cool completely and frost with the cream cheese frosting.
    Buttermilk glaze:
    In a medium sauce pan ( don't use a small pan) combine all ingredients but vanilla. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes stirring often...it will bubble a lot. It should be a light caramel color, stir in vanilla and pour over the cake
    Cream cheese frosting:
    Beat cream cheese and butter until light add vanilla powd. sugar and juice and rind...beat until smooth and frost the cooled cake.

• Related Discussions

Share your best moist cornbread recipe

Q

Comments (20)
    Wow, some of these recipes are great! This is my granmother's recipe. we use fresh mielies (corn) as they grow in abundance in the summer. Out of season we use a tin of creamstyle sweetcorn. 125g margarine 1 cup castor sugar 1 cup corn meal 1 cup self raising flour 3 eggs 1 cup milk 2 cups grated fresh mielies or 1 tin cream style sweetcorn Method: Beat sugar and margarine together. Beat eggs and milk together. Sift corn meal and flour together. Gradually add egg mixture to flour mixture. Add mielies and mix properly. You my have to adjust milk depending on what corn you are using. Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees celsius for 35-40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
    ...See More

Your Best Brunswick Stew Recipe Please

Q

Comments (14)
    I love Brunswick Stew. The first time I had it was when we lived in Durham, NC and always got it with the barbeque at our favorite place. I use the recipe in Fanny Farmer Boston Cooking School, though I only use chicken, not the squirrel or rabbit suggested. Brunswick Stew Vary this famous Southern dish in many ways. It is often made in huge quantities for an out-of-doors get-together and can be made of squirrel and rabbit as well as stewing chicken. Sometimes pork spare-ribs and pieces of stewing beef are cooked with the chicken, and other vegetables are added, such as green beans, okra, diced potatoes and peas. Cover with boiling water 1 stewing chicken, cut in pieces Cover and let simmer over low heat for 45 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons salt Cover and continue cooking until tender (about another 45 minutes). Take out the pieces of chicken. Remove the bones and cut the meat in l-inch pieces. Put back in the kettle and add l can condensed tomato soup, 8 tomatoes or l cup canned tomatoes (I use diced tomatoes) I onion, sliced thin l cup green lima beans 3 potatoes, sliced thin l tablespoon sugar Salt and pepper Cook until the beans and potatoes are tender. Add I cup corn, cut from the cob, or canned whole-kernel corn 1/4 pound butter Cook 5 minutes. Serves 6 to 8.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Please share your favourite nuts and bolts recipe

Q

Comments (17)
    The Australian version, provided by Kellogg's on many packets of their Nutri-grain product. The nuts of the title are of course peanuts, the bolts are the shape of the cereal product. I have made this countless times. Sometimes I've added a packet of dried French Onion Soup to the mixture. Nuts and Bolts 250g butter 2 tablespoons oil 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce 1 teaspoon garlic salt 1 teaspoon paprika 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper 500g KelloggÂs Nutri-Grain 500g salted mixed nuts Melt butter and oil together over low heat, add Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, paprika and cayenne. Combine Nutri-Grain and nuts, place in a large baking dish. Pour butter mixture over and bake at 125C for about 1 hour, turning every 15 minutes with an egg slice. Cool. Store in an airtight container. Tried to find a decent picture of the cereal, to no avail. The link has a pic of sorts. Here is a link that might be useful: nutri-grain
    ...See More

I'll Share My Recipe if You Share Yours Sat.Sept 24

Q

Comments (4)
    I used to make marinated carrots. We called them "copper pennies". I like spaghetti squash. It's hard to cut through the rind on it, though. So I stab it a few times, put it in a microwave safe pan with some water and cook on high for 11-13 minutes. No problem cutting it in half then. We ate a lot of it when Harry was on low carb. Tried to trick him into thinking he was getting pasta, but it didn't work :-) SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE 1 Large Spaghetti Squash, baked 1 Cup Ricotta Cheese 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil, chopped 6 Ounces Thick Bacon, cooked crispy 4 Ounces Gruyere or Swiss Cheese 1 Pinch Salt and Pepper 1 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper (opt.) Slice squash in half longwise. Bake squash, skin side up, at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, until very soft. Let cool and pre-heat oven to 375. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Let tomatoes cook until they get soft. Use a spoon to press on them and burst them open.Continue to cook tomatoes down for 10 minutes. Add crushed red pepper if you're using it. Once tomatoes are thick, turn off heat and add fresh basil. Stir to combine. Bake bacon on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 15 minutes so it stays nice and crispy. It works best if you can cook the bacon on a wire rack. Once squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out the seeds and use a fork to lightly scrape out the inside flesh of the squash, which should form strands that look like spaghetti. Mix squash flesh with ricotta cheese in a small bowl and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Lightly butter a 2.5 quart baking dish. Then layer in half of the spaghetti squash mixture. Top squash with tomato sauce and bacon strips. Then cover with other half of squash mixture. Top with grated Gruyere or swiss cheese. Bake casserole at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Serve immediately
    ...See More
  • centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

Ginger-carrot soup

6 tablespoons butter

1 cup onion, chopped

1/4 cup finely chopped ginger root

3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

7 cups chicken stock

1 cup white wine

1-1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon curry powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Saute onion, ginger and garlic until soft and beginning to brown, about 15-20 minutes.

Add stock, wine and carrots, increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered for 45 minutes or until carrots are tender. Remove from heat and puree, in batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return all of the soup to pot and stir in lemon juice, curry powder, salt and pepper.

Adjust seasonings and serve hot or chilled, topped with chopped parsley.

The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook

Nutrition facts per serving: 736 calories, 40 g fat, 15 g saturated fat, 256 mg cholesterol, 14 g carbohydrates, 69 g protein, 1,456 mg sodium, 4 g fiber

• ovenbird
    11 years ago

This is our favorite carrot side dish from our friend Gail:

GAIL'S CARROT CASSEROLE

4 lbs carrots (2 - 3 lbs if peeled)
    1/2 c. carrot juice (from cooked carrots)
    1 c. mayo (Hellmans)
    4 Tbs. horseradish
    4 Tbs. minced onion
    1 1/2 c. finely crushed wheat thins (1/2 - 3/4 box)
    salt and pepper
    butter

Preheat oven to 375F.

Peel carrots, cut into 2" pieces and quarter each piece. Boil carrots in water until tender. Drain carrots and reserve juice for the sauce.

Combine carrot juice, mayo, onion and horseradish.

Layer 1/2 of the carrots in a casserole dish. Dot with butter and dust with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the wheat thins and 1/2 of the sauce. Repeat layering.

Bake for 45 - 60 minutes at 375F (or until browned).

• ann_t
    11 years ago

I am probably the last person to offer "best carrot recipes" since it is one of two vegetables that I dislike immensely. (sounds better than HATE).

But, one way that I cook carrots that Moe and my neighbour loves is, to simmer whole carrots in a shallow skillet in a little water, when they are almost tender, and the water has almost evaporated, add a chunk of butter and some brown sugar or maple syrup, and continue cooking, spooning the sauce over the carrots until the sauce thickens slightly and the carrots are glazed.

~Ann

• wizardnm
    11 years ago

If you look at the header for this forum on the opening screen, you will find a link to our FAQ section. There you will find a whole bunch of carrot recipes that were posted for one of our Cookalongs. Those are all T+T recipes.

I tried a new to me recipe this fall and have made it several times in the last month. There is just someting about the flavor combination that calls me. I even had to get up in the middle of the night to eat some of the leftovers. Here ya go.....

Maple Glazed Carrots

1 lb of carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds.
    1 tablespoon of butter.
    1 tablespoon of olive oil
    2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
    1 orange (the juice) (I added a little zest too)
    1 teaspoon of brown sugar. (I was generous with the brown sugar)
    1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

Preparation
    -Place the carrots in a shallow saucepan, and cover with salted water. Boil until crisp-tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
    -Heat a skillet, reduce heat to medium and add the butter and olive oil. Then the carrots.
    -Add the maple syrup and the orange juice. Stir.
    -Sprinkle with the cinnamon, black pepper and sugar, stir again.
    -Cook until the juices are reduced to a glaze.

Nancy

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Nancy, I've used that recipe too, and I've drizzled some maple syrup on roasted root vegetables, I love that combination.

Like Ann T, I usually cook the carrots until nearly done then add brown sugar and butter and let it get a bit "caramel-y". More like dessert than a vegetable, but it's sure good.

Annie

• compumom
    11 years ago

I cut them into matchsticks and saute lightly in a skillet with oil, (could be butter), chunky orange marmalade and a bit of orange juice. They're just tender with a slight glaze, no liquid remaining. Just add a few shakes of dried basil to complete the dish. It was a winner here on Thanksgiving!

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

I served the first recipe for Thanksgiving. The recipe calls for tarragon, but other herbs will work just as well, or a sprinkle of lemon pepper would be nice.

The soup recipe is one I've made for many years as a quick-and-easy light accompaniment with chicken salad sandwiches. -Grainlady

CARROTS AND SNOW PEAS
    (source: Pillsbury Garden Fresh Salads & Vegetables)

1 T. oil
    2 c. thinly sliced carrots (I used a mandoline for cutting)
    2 T. white wine, chicken broth or water
    2 t. chopped fresh tarragon or 1/2 t. tarragon leaves
    1/4 t. salt
    1/8 t. pepper
    1-1/2 c. fresh snow peas or pea pods, cut into thirds

In large skillet or wok, heat oil over high heat; stir in carrots, white wine, tarragon, salt and pepper. Cook covered 2-4 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in snow peas; continue cooking and stirring 2-3 minutes or until snow peas are crisp-tender. Garnish with fresh tarragon, if desired. Yields 6 (1/2 c.) servings.

CARROT\-CELERY SOUP 1\. In large saucepan heat 1 T. salad oil. Add 1 c. each \- thinly sliced carrots and celery; 1/4 c. chopped onion. 2\. Saute vegetables 5 minutes, stirring frequently. 3\. Add 2 cans condensed chicken broth and 2 cans water (or homemade chicken broth), 1\-1/4 t. soy sauce and pepper (optional). 4\. Simmer, covered, 15\-minutes until vegetables are crisp\-tender. 5\. Add 1/4 c. dry white wine and sprinkle with 2 T. chopped parsley. (I usually make 1/2 a recipe.)
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    11 years ago

From June 2010 Southern living"

Carrot Orzo

8 0z carrots, cut in 1" pieces (about 2 cups)
    2 1/2 c. chicken broth
    2 1/2 c. water
    3 T. butter
    1 med. onion, choppped
    2 c. uncooked orzo
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 c. grated parmesan
    3 Tbl. fresh chives
    1 tsp fresh thyme

Process carrots in food processor until finely chopped. Combine water and broth and heat until very hot. Melt butter in saucepan, add carrots and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 mins or until tender. Add orzo and garlic, and cook 2 min.
    Slowly stir hot broth mixure, salt, and peepper into orzo mixture. Cook, stirring often, 15-18 mins. or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in Parmesan, chives, and thyme. Serve immediately.

Very like risotto and declicious.

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the recipes!!! They all look so tasty and I am going to print them and try them all.

I knew that I can count on the wonderful posters in this forum to expand my horizons. After I spend a few years of training here, I hope that I will be a better cook.:)

I like carrots so much that I do multiple plantings and I agree that can be used as sweet and savory dishes depending on what your preference is.

Foodonastump - Those carrot fritters are calling my name, thank you for posting. And I really like the presentation on the link and yogurt dressings are one of my favorites, with the scallops the dish look so elegant!

Lindac - You are the bible in carrot recipes! Thank you for taking the time to post your favorite carrot recipes and they are all so different, I am going to have fun. I will make some into pickles for sure. I made the carrot jam last year from Mes Confitures, it is time to try a new recipe. The cake I will make for a friend's birthday coming up.

Barnmom - Soup is on top of my list for comfort foods. I can never get tired of them or have enough recipes. I will try your soup, thank you.

Ovenbird - Thanks for posting your friend's Gail Carrot Casserole, I will make it for a get together with friends.

Ann t - Don't break my heart! lol. Vegetables are so colorful, tasty and good for you. And yes glazed carrots are simple and yet so delicious!

Nancy - Thank you for letting me know about the FAQ, I will use it in the future for sure. Your maple glazed carrots are for sure yummy, easy and fast to make,thank you for the recipe.

Annie - Thank you for letting me know your favorite way to use carrots.

Compumon - Thank you for your recipe, and you gave me a good idea about using the orange marmalade, I have some from the garden and basil too.

Grainlady - Thank you for your healthy recipes! They will be served for my family like in every day meals.

Laceyvail - That carrot orzo is ingenious. I will try that for a party, thank you for the recipe.

I made some different carrot pickles with different colored carrots last season

And these are my carrots today, waiting for a harvest and then I will plant them again

Silvia

• jimster
    11 years ago

My favorite use of carrots is in mirepoix, or sofrito. The carrots, and equal amounts of celery and onions, are finely chopped and sauteed in olive oil. This mixture is a flavor base for braises, soups and sauces.

I am preparing to make a large amount of mirepoix which I will freeze in small containers. That will greatly shorten prep time when I want to make one of those dishes.

One very successful use of mirepoix was when I browned some thick pork chops and braised them with a lot of mirepoix. At the end, tomato sauce was added, making a delicious pasta sauce.

Jim

• maxmom96
    11 years ago

I'm not much of a carrot lover either, and I do not like them overcooked. I will make a glaze but use a touch of Herbsant (or probably any other anise-flavored liqueur)in it. It really gives them a lovely flavor.

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jim - That is a good idea and saves time in future cooking to make a mirepoix or sofrito to freeze in small portions. And I had tomato sauces with added carrots and they were delicious! it is time to try them again, thank you for your good ideas.

Maxmom - I never had Herbsant but I have other anise flavor liqueurs, it sounds interesting and sometimes I like to cook with spirits, I will try your recipe soon, thank you. When I am in a mood for something refreshing, I make a carrot juice mixed with orange juice.

Silvia

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

I cut them into matchsticks, saute until tender and toss with sesame oil, soy sauce, a dash of rice vinegar and toasted sesame seed. Also this soup recipe was good although I think I will try it again without the honey.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honey Mustard Carrot Soup

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jxbrown - Thanks for the recipes, the one with the matchsticks sounds like a good one to try and I think I can add some Chinese cabbage and cooked ground pork to the dish.
    I saw the link with the honey mustard carrot soup recipe from Mark Bittman and you are absolutely right, I am sure the soup is better without the honey. I was surprised when I tried some of the recipes from the same book, sometimes they missed on something.

Silvia

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

Silvia, you are the carrot queen! Do watch out when your are foraging in your carrot jungle. There could be wild animals hiding in there to make you into their dinner.

One favorite way, not a recipe, I like in using carrots:

Carrots are too common everyday vegetable no matter what recipes you use. I consider carrots have two parts, the outer "bark" and the center yellowish core (heart). The center core has a different texture and taste, a little more tender and sweeter. I often use the outside "bark" for general cooking or making juice and use only the core for special cooking. Kind of making carrots very special. For lack of a better word, "classier"?

I will make a few carrot dishes the next time I buy some carrots.

dcarch

• stuartwanda
    11 years ago

I'm surprised that no one has guided you to the FAC's Page.
    They have all different vegs. recipes on there. Here's a link for carrots-------

Here is a link that might be useful: carrots

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dcarch, you are so funny! But you are not too far from the truth. My good luck is that the snakes left when we start having colder days, otherwise I always meet one and just in case I am very careful where I put my hands since I don't know very well which one has poison or not.

I always get my brain in gear when I talk to you, your way of looking at the same thing but different is amazing, not everyone can do that.

And all the recipes previous posted assured me that carrots can be used every day or as a special occasion, so yes they can be classier or homey. For savory dishes I like to use herbs and for sweet dishes I like cardamom. I am still trying to find a savory carrot bread that I can freeze.

I will love to see your carrot inspirations when you have the time....

Silvia

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stuartwanda - I didn't see your post before, thank you for the link.
    Nancy/wizzardnm in the above post let me know about the FAQ and I did take a look last night to get ideas.

Silvia

• denise8101214
    11 years ago

Alternate link to carrot cookalong, with pictures and a few links.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrot Cookalong

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Denise - That really helps to see some pictures with the recipes. I like to see how the end product looks especially if the dish is for company, it is so much about the looks and then comes the taste.
    Thank you for the link, now I have more ideas...

Silvia

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

Sylvia, my best carrot recipes are on the link that Denise posted. How many pounds of carrots do you harvest in a year? Do you use the green tops for anything?

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ruthanna - That Marrakesh salad is calling my name, easy to do and ingredients that I already have, I will make it soon. And I will try the pork and carrot recipe for a family meal...

I do succession planting of carrots, I never pay attention to the pounds harvested. I have been harvesting some already and using them in cooking. I make my own dog food and have been using the sweet potatoes, now is time to give them carrots. If I had chickens I would use the tops and I am sure they can be added in small amounts to green salads or soups for the family, they are highly nutritious.

I am just like you, I don't like some of the store bought carrots, when I harvest the whole raised bed some are left in the fridge and always share the bounty with friends. I grow more than ten different kinds at the same planting.

Thanks for the recipes and I am looking forward to try them.

Silvia

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Silvia, those pickled carrots are beautiful.

I also plant the multi colored carrots instead of just orange. My favorite color is the Purple Dragon, they are purple outside but orange-ish inside. Last year I planted a mix of orange, purple, white and yellow, but the kids love them fresh from the garden and so I seldom have them anyway except raw, and if my great-nephew, Noah, beats me to the garden, I don't have any, LOL.

Jim, Elery uses mirepoix in nearly every soup and sauce he makes, I think. He also adds carrots to chili and tomato based sauces to add some sweetness, so although I seldom cook carrots by themselves, we use them in a lot of things.

They are grown here and sold as deer bait for $4 a fifty pound bag, bug those are usually the really big ones. I ought to use those (and cabbage) more often, they're cheap and local and usually very good. The ones from the grocery that come from across the country? Not so good, usually. Who knows how long they've been in storage...

Annie

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Annie.

Every season I make sure I have enough pickles to last me when I don't have carrots, I usually put them on top of a green salad. I planted the purple dragon this season, my favorite is an oriental type that is red outside and red inside, but in general I like them all. They are so versatile.

Annie, you live in bargain heaven! I never visited your area, but I used to live in Chicago for a while.
    Those big carrots are probably very good for juicing, in another countries carrot juice is as popular as orange juice here.

I looked everywhere for a savory carrot bread recipe with our measurements because is easy for me to follow, but so far I had no luck. I like to keep an assortment of frozen quick breads sweet and savory to give away later or for parties.

Silvia