SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iris_gal

chestnuts at CostCo?

iris_gal
11 years ago

I bought a bag of peeled chestnuts at CostCo yesterday.

Opened the bag and the smell is odd. Earthy?

Has anyone used these? Is the lack of flavor normal for chestnuts? TIA

Comments (10)

• agmss15
    11 years ago

I actually like bagged chestnuts and to me they are quite different than fresh roasted ones. Love those too.

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That reassures me. Thank you!

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

I love chestnuts and have never tried bagged ones. I am going to look for them at Costco this weekend. I have a recipe I love with brussel sprouts!

• jessicavanderhoff
    11 years ago

Hmm. I've never had pre peeled ones, but I find the smell to be pleasant and not odd, so that sounds iffy to me.

• bulldinkie
    11 years ago

I just got some at a fruit stand not sure what to do with them?????help..

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

Bulldinkie I will assume the ones you purchased are still in the shell.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Make a cut across the round part of the shell. Place the nuts flat side down on a baking sheet. Nuts should not be touching. After 30 minutes take out one nut. The shell near the slash should be pulling back. Take a paring knife and pierce the nut. They should be tender when done - but not soft.

If you can roast them over coals or wood - even better.

Once the nuts are roasted and cooled pull the shells off. I love them so much that I eat them by themselves. They don't last long enough at my house to make it into stuffing. They have occasionally made it into some pan roasted brussel sprouts.

For a real treat take some of the still warm chestnuts and soak them in red wine or port! The restaurant I worked at in Italy 35 years ago served roasted chestnuts soaked in brandy, sweet red wine or port as a dessert choice.

If you are still in doubt I am certain you can find a number of roasting methods on the internet.

I'd love to hear how they turned out!

Teresa

• bulldinkie
    11 years ago

Thank you Teresa ,I just made 2 apple pies and a big chicken pot pie for hubby to take hunting.Im gonna do the chestnuts now ty again.I didnt know guys ate that well at hunting camp lol

• flashie
    10 years ago

Read the label on Costco chestnuts! It says they are a pruduct of China! Saw it when I brought the box home.... Scary. Will be returning it tomorrow!

This post was edited by flashie on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 23:20

• Islay_Corbel
    10 years ago

Important : before roasting them, put them in a bucket of water. Throw away those that float to the surface as they have been got at by worms. Then, you can dry them, stab them with a knife and roast straight away or freeze and roast from frozen at a later date.

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

Every year DH wants chestnuts to roast and every year half of them are rotten.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio