Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to use my buttermilk in?

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 17:58

I've got a carton of buttermilk that I bought for a cake recipe a while ago. I have to use the rest up asap.

Besides fried chicken which I don't really want to do at this time, what other suggestions do you have?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to use my buttermilk in?

Pancake batter or mashed potatoes, two of our favorites, Use in anything that uses milk and it gives your dish a little extra tang, which I like.

o

Garlic cheese biscuits.

o

It lasts for months- many months after the use by date- so you don't have to rush it.
I use it mainly in biscuits, waffles and pancakes.

o

I didn't even think of pancakes. duh.
I'll whip some up tomorrow morning. It's amazing how I drew a blank when I realized how much buttermilk I have to use up. Mashed potatoes, too. And I make biscuits, haven't used bm in them before.

o

Don't have my files as I am not on my computer....b ut those angel biscuits.
And it works to replace some of the water in most yeast breads.
I can use a quart pretty fast!

o

Here's my recipe for buttermilk rolls that you might like.
The link will take you to a thread on them with other recipes too.

Buttermilk Refrigerator Rolls

1 Package dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup melted butter
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda
2 cups buttermilk

Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Let sit 5 minutes. Stir in butter

Combine dry ingredients; add to yeast mixture along with buttermilk.
Stir well. Turn dough out on a floured surface, knead gently a few times and shape into a ball. Place in greased bowl, cover, and refrigerate until needed. Keeps for one week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rolls

o

My first thought was buttermilk ranch or green goddess salad dressing.

GREEN GODDESS BUTTERMILK DRESSING

1/3 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. sliced green onions
1/4 c. chopped parsley
1/4 c. chopped watercress
2 t. lemon juice
1/2 t. dry tarragon
1/2 t. anchovy paste
1/2 c. regular or reduced fat mayonnaise
salt and pepper
In a blender or f/p, combine buttermilk, onions, parsley, watercress, tarragon, lemon juice and anchovy paste. Whirl until herbs are finely chopped. Add mayo, whirl just until blended. Season with s&p. If made ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 10 days. Makes about 1 cup.

This is a good everyday kind of cake. I usually don't frost it.

PRUNE CAKE

1/4 cup soft butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
3/8 tsp. each of salt, ground cloves, nutmeg and ginger
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. each of baking powder and baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup diced moist-pak prunes
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup golden raisins

Cream butter and sugar together. Add egg and beat until light and fluffy. Sift together flour, spices, baking soda and powder in another bowl. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, beating well after each addition. Stir in prunes, raisins and nuts.

Turn into greased 8 inch square pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan on for 5 minutes; then move pan to rack to cool completely.

o

I like using buttermilk in chocolate cake.

/tricia

o

Ruthanna, those refrigerator rolls sound wonderful! Anything yeasty.....I'm there!

I think this is my project tomorrow. The pancakes can wait!

o

Bumblebeez, thanks so much for posting the Refrigerated Rolls.
I have the resting and rising in my frig and made some rolls.
Delicious!!!

I've kept your recipe for Green Goddess Dressing, Ruthanna. That sounds good!

o

hmmm I made some rolls to have ahead of time. They didn't get up. I didn't knead them, just pulled chunks off and rolled into balls. Do you think it's best if they're kneaded for a bit then formed?

o

I have always rolled them out and made crescents so that is a sort of kneading and I would knead some if you don't plan on shaping them. Try making the crescents though, they're really good that way.

o

Kneading won't help.....either you are not waiting long enough or your water was too hot and you killed the yeast.
Linda C

o

Linda, I made it last nite and it rose great! Nothing wrong with the yeast.

Bumble, I cut some rounds this morning and folded them in half and boy did they ever puff up! I ripped some more chunks off and just made them into balls for dinner, and they didn't rise.....they tasted fantastic though.

I'm wondering if it needs to rise full over night again, before ripping off any more sections.

Also, when it calls to punch down every day, do I punch it down and then make my rolls, crescents, etc?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here