Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Pre Bake Crust?

Posted by dancingqueen (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 17:38

I've made the Cooks Illustrated pie crust and it is chilling in the refrigerator. I'm making a double crust apple apricot pie. Do I pre bake the bottom crust? The Cooks Illustrated pie crust says to bake it but the recipe from Food and Wine seems to not call for pre baking.???????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Pre Bake Crust?

I don't pre bake a double crust fruit pie. Just make sure it sits a little lower than the middle of the oven.

My pie is in the oven right now..

Nancy

o

You can get away without prebaking your crust if you bake your pie in a ceramic pan (do NOT turn the temp back 25 degress as one normally does for pyrex), and bake on the lowest shelf in the oven. I find that works every time. You want the bottom of the pan to get hot (close to the bottom) and stay hot (ceramic/pyrex pan) so as to cook the bottom crust well.

Another trick I use--I cover the edges of the pie with foil before it goes into the oven, rather than waiting until they're starting to brown. I find that by the time the pie is done, the edges are just perfect, too.

o

For a double crust fruit pie, I use a glass or pottery pie dish and turn the oven down to 325 without opening the
door,,,put the pie in the bottom 1`/3 of the oven and start at 425 for 20 minutes, then turn to 325 without opening the door and bake another 25 minutes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here