SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleenca

New Recipe Review - November 2011

kathleenca
12 years ago

Jasdip posted this recipe on the Kitchen Table & I made it last night. Fortunately it was a large tenderloin & there is some left for a lunch. Great flavor, and it's amazing how good it is for only four other ingredients.

Coriander-Crusted Pork Tenderloin

Very quick and easy dinner. Roasted veggies alongside would be perfect.

One 1- to 1-1/4-lb. pork tenderloin, trimmed

2 tsp. Dijon mustard

1 Tbsp. coriander seeds, crushed

1 tsp. black peppercorns, crushed

1 tsp. kosher salt

1 Tbs. olive oil

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 450F.

Spread the mustard evenly over the pork and then sprinkle with the coriander, peppercorns, and salt, pressing so the spices adhere.

Heat the oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the pork, turning it with tongs, until nicely browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Put the skillet in the oven and roast until an instant-read thermometer in the thick end of the pork registers 155F, 18 to 20 minutes. Let rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing thinly.

Comments (34)

• bbstx
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I tried this recipe from The Kitchn website earlier this week. I asked another couple to be guinea pigs, and they graciously accepted. We all agreed that it was very good. I would make it again.

I made it in a ~4 qt Le Creuset dutch oven.

In order to truly test its "quickness," I used pre-shredded mozzarella and pre-shredded Parmesan. I also baked and deboned the chicken breasts the night before.

I used a cup of skim milk and a cup of heavy cream for the 2 cups of milk.

For the crumb topping, I used panko crumbs, 2 tsp. frozen basil (2 Dorot-brand cubes), a pinch of dried thyme and a pinch of dried sage, in addition to pre-shredded Parmesan.

No-Boil Chicken & Tomato Pasta Bake
    serves 4 to 6

8 ounces (1/2 pound) dried rigatoni pasta, uncooked
    2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast meat (omit for a vegetarian dish)
    4 large cloves garlic, roughly minced
    One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
    2 cups shredded cheese, such as mozzarella or a mix of mozzarella and provolone
    1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups milk * (see Note)

Cheesy Basil Topping
    1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup loosely packed fresh herbs, such as basil, thyme, and sage
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup olive oil

Heat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a 3-quart casserole dish with olive oil. (Ideally you would use a heavy Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid, but you can also use a standard 9x13-inch casserole pan, tightly covered with a double layer of aluminum foil during baking.)

In a large bowl, mix the dried pasta, chopped chicken breast, minced garlic, and diced tomatoes (with their juices). Stir in the salt and a healthy quantity of black pepper. (If the tomatoes you are using have no salt in them, add an additional 1/2 teaspoon salt.) Stir in the shredded cheese and the Parmesan. Spread this mixture in the prepared baking dish and pour the milk over top. Cover the dish tightly. Bake for 50 minutes, or until the pasta is tender. Remove the dish from the oven and turn the oven up to broil.

Meanwhile, prepare the herb topping. In a small food processor or chopper, whiz the breadcrumbs, cheese, herbs, salt, and a few grinds of black pepper. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, blending until the texture resembles wet sand.

Slowly remove the lid (or foil) from the casserole dish. Be careful, as steam will billow out. Spread the herbed breadcrumbs over the bubbling pasta and return the uncovered dish to the oven. Broil for 5 minutes or until the topping is toasted and crispy on top.

Take the casserole out of the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Eat with a green salad and a glass of red wine.

* Note (from The Kitchn's Faith Durand): The more fat in your milk, the thicker and more luxurious this dish will be. I have only made this with whole milk, which worked very well. I see no reason why lower-fat milks would not work as well, but they may be soupier, with a thinner sauce, when you first remove them from the oven.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Kitchn Chicken & Tomato No Boil Pasta Bake

• bbstx
    12 years ago

When my friends came over to test the chicken/tomato/pasta recipe, I made the recipe below for dessert. It is from Southern Living.

I was very apprehensive about making the caramel then putting the piecrust on top. It was a snap. However, I never could cut nice pie-slices. Although I used a pie server, it came out more free-form.

Instead of butter-pecan ice cream, I served it with Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla, which would make bark taste good!

Easy Skillet Apple Pie

YIELD: Makes 8 to 10 servings
    HANDS-ON:20 Minutes
    TOTAL:1 Hour, 50 Minutes

2 pounds Granny Smith apples
    2 pounds Braeburn apples
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
    1 egg white
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    Butter-pecan ice cream

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel apples, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Toss apples with cinnamon and 3/4 cup granulated sugar.

2. Melt butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat; add brown sugar, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and place 1 piecrust in skillet over brown sugar mixture. Spoon apple mixture over piecrust, and top with remaining piecrust. Whisk egg white until foamy. Brush top of piecrust with egg white; sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar. Cut 4 or 5 slits in top for steam to escape.

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly, shielding with aluminum foil during last 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes before serving. Serve with butter-pecan ice cream.

Southern Living SEPTEMBER 2011

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Living Iron Skillet Apple Pie

• Related Discussions

New Recipe Review - February 2011

Q

Comments (23)
    These were a big hit at our recent movie night get together. They were also a huge hit as leftovers, even though DH doesn't normally like white meat! I try to keep the sodium low in my cooking and the McCormick's brand of lemon pepper is a staple in our house. Also, we grow Meyers so used those instead of the more acidic grocery store lemons. The marinade makes a tasty sauce, but a spicy bottled sate sauce was also a great pairing with it. Recipe doubles perfectly: Chicken Skewers with Garlic, Lemon & Mint Adapted from Roving Feast columnist Marlena Spieler, to the San Francisco Chronicle INGREDIENTS 1.5 lbs chicken breast, skinless and boneless 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, stems removed and chopped 1/2 cup lemon juice (use 3 small or 2 large lemons), seeds removed 1 tablespoons olive oil 2 Tblsp cup oyster sauce (if you don�t have any, use 2 tsp lemon pepper total instead) 1/2 tsp McCormick's lemon pepper or other brand 1/4 cup dry white wine or dry sherry 1/4 cup chicken broth INSTRUCTIONS: 1. Cut the chicken into 2" chunks, trimming off any surface white ligament and excess fat. 2. Combine the chicken, garlic, mint, lemon juice, olive oil, oyster sauce and lemon pepper in a plastic container. Cover tightly. Refrigerate overnight, or up to 24 hours. 3. Remove from refrig 1/2 hr before serving. Drain the chicken, reserving marinade. 4. Place oven rack in highest position and preheat broiler on high for at least 10 minutes. Line a large flat cookie sheet, big enough to hold all four skewers, with foil. Spray with cooking spray. 5. Add the chicken broth and sherry to reserved marinade. Bring to a boil over high heat for 3-4 minutes. Thicken with cornstarch, or just cook over medium heat until reduced to 3/4 cup. Taste for seasoning, then cover or low heat to keep it warm. 6. Thread the chicken cubes onto two 15-inch skewers. Place on cookie sheet, spray again with cooking spray. 7. Broil chicken skewers for 7 min. on one side and 3-4 minutes the second side. Let rest on a platter 2-3 minutes. Garnish chicken with additional chopped mint, if you wish. Pour the sauce over the chicken, or serve it on the side. You can also use a Thai or Indonesian sate sauce, if desired. - Makes two 15-inch metal skewers, enough to serve 3-4 people.
    ...See More

New Recipe Review - March 2011

Q

Comments (14)
    My search is over.... I have found the PERFECT Macaroni and Cheese recipe. I know there have been dozens posted here over the years and they are all good - but IMO were not "perfect". This one hits the proverbial nail on the head...... Alexa ***************************************************** Macaroni Cheese from Martha Stewart Serves 12 6 slices good-quality white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces (I used Panko) 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for dish 5 1/2 cups milk 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons kosher salt 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 4 1/2 cups (about 18 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar 2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Gruyere or 1 1/4 cups (about 5 ounces) grated pecorino Romano (I added a bit of pepper jack because I had some to use up) 1 pound elbow macaroni 1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread pieces in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into the bowl with bread, and toss. Set the breadcrumbs aside. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. 2. Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick. 3. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere or 1 cup pecorino Romano. Set cheese sauce aside. 4. Fill a large saucepan with water. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 fewer minutes than manufacturer's directions, until outside of pasta is cooked and inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce. 5. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar and 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 cup pecorino Romano; scatter breadcrumbs over the top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes; serve. Read more at Marthastewart.com: Perfect Macaroni and Cheese - Martha Stewart Recipes
    ...See More

New Recipe Review-July 2011

Q

Comments (16)
    I have made the Pork w/Dijon recipe tooo. I totally agree it's a keeper! I mada a parmesan garlic butter based on something that was served at one of the restaurants in a hotel I worked at years ago in St Paul. I have their recip, but it makes 25lbs of butter so I winged it and it came out really good! Served it with ciabatta bread, but it would be equally good on steak or chicken, I think. Parmesan Garlic Butter Inspired by the St Paul Grille & Caf� 1-1/2 sticks butter, softened 1 tsp minced red pepper 1 lg clove garlic, minced 1/2 tsp dried basil 1/3 c finely grated parmesan cheese 1/4 tsp balsamic vinegar Dash seasoned salt Dash tobasco Combine all ingredients. Spoon into small serving dish, or roll in waxed paper or plastic wrap and chill. I tried a new recipe tonight for pulled pork. Too freakin' hot to cook so I needed a crockpot meal. This filled the bill quite nicely. I did not have onion powder on hand, so I subbed minced onion. I also only had about 4oz of tomato paste, so I used what I had. The sauce was quite runny, but it was really tasty! I may try a larger roast or a little less sauce next time. The slaw is exceptionally good and very easy, too. Crock Pot Pulled Pork And Coleslaw Sandwiches From Tastykitchen submitted by Mrswilliams FOR THE PULLED PORK: 1/2 cups Ketchup 1/3 cups Cider Vinegar 1/3 cups Packed Brown Sugar 6 ounces, weight Tomato Paste 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce 2 Tablespoons Yellow Mustard 1\-1/2 teaspoon Salt 1 teaspoon Onion Powder (didn�t have, subbed 1/2 small onion,minced) 3 pounds Pork Sirloin Roast, Cut Into 3 Pieces 1 package Sandwich Rolls/hamburger Buns FOR THE COLE SLAW: 1 bag (14 Oz. Bag) Cole Slaw Mix (shredded my own fresh cabbage and carrot) 1/2 cups Mayonnaise 3 Tablespoons Canola Oil 1/4 cups Sugar 1 Tablespoon Cider Vinegar 1/4 teaspoons Salt 1/2 teaspoons Celery Seed 1 teaspoon Onion Powder (didn�t have\-subbed 1/2 small onion, minced) PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS: For the pulled pork: mix together ketchup, cider vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, salt, and onion powder in a crock pot. Add pork and turn pieces to coat with sauce. Cover, and cook on low for 6\-8 hours. Once done, shred pork and stir to completely incorporate in the sauce. For the cole slaw: mix coleslaw mix, mayo, canola oil, sugar, cider vinegar, salt, celery seed, and onion powder well in a large bowl. Cover and let chill for 1\-2 hours. Once pork is done and cole slaw is chilled, make sandwiches! Put some pork on your bun and top with cole slaw. Enjoy! Linda
    ...See More

New Recipe Review-August 2011

Q

Comments (27)
    I posted this separately but should have posted it here, so I will lol! It is not a traditional tian, as islay corbel pointed out, but it was delicious. I was listening to the Splendid Table over the weekend (must have been a re-run). Here is a recipe for the bounty of zuchs that keep walking in my back door. It took some time, but man is it good. I cooked the arborio rice in chicken stock, with a bit of butter, as if I was making risotto...I used more breadcrumbs than called for - a function of the baking dish - and I mixed some grated parm cheese in with the breadcrumbs. My only deviations...It was even better reheated the next day. Zucchini Tian 2010, Martha Rose Schulman. Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes Total time: 60 minutes Yield: Serves 6 From the July 31, 2010 show. "This is a classic Provencal gratin, one of my favorite dishes from the region. It's bound with rice and egg, it's great cold or hot, and if you have more summer squash than you know what to do with, look no further." Ingredients 3 tablespoons olive oil 1 medium onion, chopped 2 to 3 large garlic cloves, to taste, minced 2 pounds zucchini or other summer squash, cut in 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice Salt and freshly ground pepper 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme 1/2 cup Arborio rice, cooked 2 eggs 3 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (3/4 cup) 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (fresh or dry) Instructions 1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Oil a 2-quart gratin dish. 2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, stir together for about 30 seconds, until it begins to smell fragrant, and stir in the squash. Cook, stirring often, until the squash is translucent but not mushy, 5 to 10 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper. Stir in the thyme and rice, and remove from the heat. 3. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon salt and the cheese. Stir in the zucchini mixture and combine well. Scrape into the gratin dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top. Drizzle on the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is browned and the gratin is sizzling. Remove from the heat and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature. ------------------------------------------------------ My prep time was about twice what she says, but it's worth the effort. I think if the rice were already cooked, leftover from something else, then her prep time might work. seagrass
    ...See More
  • bbstx
    12 years ago

The next day friends were passing through town on their way to see their son, a freshman in college. I made up the following recipe so I could send him some cookies. It is easy and quick.

Instead of ginger, I used allspice (half-way through the recipe, I discovered I was out of ginger. I had fresh ginger in the fridge, but could not quickly find reliable information on how to substitute fresh for ground). I think I would have liked them better with ginger, but they were very good with allspice!

I did not get 48 cookies. I probably got 36 using a small scoop.

Brown Sugar Cookies Epicurious : September 2011
    by Gretchen Holt-Witt
    Cookies for Kids' Cancer: Best Bake Sale Cookbook

Another great variation on the classic sugar cookie, this version is just a little deeper and richer than its inspiration.

Yield: About 4 dozen cookies

1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
    1 large egg, at room temperature
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

-Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

-Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle and beat until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Place the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a separate bowl and mix well. Add to the butter mixture and beat until everything is well incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat again.

-Drop large teaspoonfuls of dough onto an unbuttered cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and bake until the edges are just brown, 8 to 12 minutes. For crispy cookies, let cool on the sheet. Let the cookie sheet cool completely between batches and repeat with the remaining dough.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epicurious Brown Sugar Cookies

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

Bbstx, do you flip that pie before you serve it? That just might have to make an appearance at my Thanksgiving celebrations!

BF is becoming quite the chef, and bless his heart he makes dinner most nights since I don't get home til late due to my commute. Last month he made superb butternut squash lasagne from on of my Cooking Light special issues. We didn't make it with a white sauce, it was more like traditional lasagne just with exquisitely roasted butternut squash as part of the filling, along with spinach and cheese, and a very light topping of marinara. It's a pretty long and involved recipe though so I'll just link to it. I think something else that made it good is we used fresh spinach, which makes such a difference in taste. The one difference we made, as I said, was to top it lightly with marinara. Frankly, I think squash and tomato and spinach is an excellent taste combo. I even make a layered butternut squash an tomato dish that is also yum.

The other total surprise recipe was fish soup, which was delicious and surprisingly easy. It came from this cookbook I have called "Light Cooking - Pasta."

Mediterranean Fish Soup (serves 4)

4 ounces uncooked pastina or other small pasta
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp. ground fennel seeds
    1 can (14.5 oz) no salt added stewed tomatoes (we used regular diced ones and added celery to the sauteed onions)
    1 can (14.5 oz) low salt chicken broth (I used vegetable broth, 2 cups)
    1 TBLSP minced fresh parsley
    1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp. ground tumeric
    8 oz. firm white fleshed fish (we used tilapia), cut into 1" pieces
    3 oz. raw small shrimp, peeled and deveined (we used a can of minced clams becuase that's what we had!)

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt. (Actually I added a small amount). Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick saucepan with cooking spray. Add onion, garlic and fennel. Cook over med. heat 3 min. or until onion is soft. (We don't use cooking spray, I just used EVOO)

Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, parsely, black pepper and tumeric. (NOTE: BF used about 1 tsp. Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning. We love the stuff and I think that was part of the key to this dish's success. However, if you do that, omit the pepper because I thought the dish was too peppery. If you don't have the Mrs. Dash, I think you could add some italian seasoning, just a "dash.")

Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 min. Add fish and cook 1 minute. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp begins to turn opaque. (BF sauteed the fish up separately and then added it).

Divide pasta among bowls; ladle soup over pasta.

This is very simple, very yum, and would make an elegant soup course for a party if you have fish lovers in attendance. Also great for a quick meal on a cold night, with some italian breadsticks and a good salad and hearty glass of red wine. Dang I wish I could still drink wine!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking Light Spinach Butternut Squash Lasagne.

• bbstx
    12 years ago

pink, I did not flip it out, because the recipe did not say to do so. And I'm not sure that would work. The top is rather uneven (see photo on Southern Living site). If you notice, the pic on SL doesn't show a slice either. Bottom line: it doesn't look like a magazine/cookbook picture of a slice of apple pie, but it sure does taste good! And it really is easy!

• doucanoe
    12 years ago

For some reason I was craving Tuna Noodle Casserole today. My mom always made the COMS recipe with crushed potato chips on top.

Looking for something a bit less "processed" I made the recipe in the link below.

Nope....not what I was craving. So glad I halved the recipe so there is not 10 servings to toss......

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuna Noodle Casserole

• bbstx
    12 years ago

I made Smothered Pork Chops tonight from a recipe I saw on Face Book (I "like" Williams Sonoma).

The chops were tender and the gravy was flavorful, as in lick the bowl clean flavorful!

I cooked the chops longer than the recipe directs to allow the chops to be as tender as possible. I did not add the hot sauce at the end.

This recipe is definitely a keeper!

Smothered Pork Chops

In this beloved southern recipe, meaty bone-in pork chops are literally smothered in vegetables and broth, then simmered until the vegetables have melted into a sauce tailor-made for spooning over rice.

Ingredients:
    4 bone-in pork loin chops, each about 1 inch thick
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
    2 Tbs. vegetable oil
    2 Tbs. unsalted butter
    1 yellow onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
    3 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
    4 green onions, thinly sliced, white and light green portions separated
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tsp. minced fresh thyme
    3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
    2 1/2 cups chicken broth
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    1 tsp. hot sauce, plus more for serving
    Steamed rice for serving
    Directions:
    Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. In a large electric skillet set on medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the chops and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.

Reduce the heat to medium and melt the butter in the skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up the browned bits from the pan bottom, until the onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper, celery, the white portion of the green onions and the garlic. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Add the thyme and flour and stir well. Gradually stir in the broth and bring to a simmer.

Return the pork chops to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, then turn the chops over, cover and simmer until the pork shows no sign of pink when pierced at the bone, about 10 minutes more. Transfer the chops to a deep platter and cover loosely with aluminum foil.

Stir the cream into the gravy in the skillet and bring to a boil. Cook until thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the green portion of the green onions and the 1 tsp. hot sauce and season with salt. Pour the gravy over the pork chops and serve immediately with steamed rice. Pass more hot sauce at the table. Serves 4.

Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Comfort Food, by Rick Rodgers (Oxmoor House, 2009).

Here is a link that might be useful: Williams Sonoma Smothered Pork Chops

• TobyT
    12 years ago

This is a quick, simple weeknight dinner. The most time consuming part is pitting the olives! I served with orzo cooked in chicken broth and garnished the whole thing generously with chopped Italian parsley. I also sprinkled the feta on the chicken and then let it sit with the lid on for a few minutes to heat and soften the feta. It's a keeper.
    Jane

Chicken with Olives and Feta Cheese
    Bon Appetit : November 2000

by Peter Rasmussen, Libertyville, IL
    A boldly flavored dish that's great served over orzo (rice-shaped pasta).
    Yield: Makes 6 servings
    2 pounds chicken thighs with skin and bones
    1 tablespoon olive oil

1 cup chopped onion
    2 large garlic cloves, chopped
    1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
    3/4 cup Kalamata olives or other brine-cured black olives, pitted, sliced
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried

2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
    Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from skillet.
    Add onion to drippings in skillet. Saute over medium heat 3 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juices, olives, wine and oregano. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to sauce; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 25 minutes.
    Transfer chicken and sauce to platter. Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I found this recipe when searching for ways to cook kale.
    We thought it was delicious.
    Changes I made:
    I use a Rotisserie chicken & homemade chicken broth I had in the freezer. I also added Trader Joe's Everyday Seasonings - so season with your favorite spices.

Potatoes I used: Yukon golds, Red potato, Russet, and an all purpose white. Scrubbed and did not peel. Roast on some nonstick aluminum foil.

I always rinse & drain the beans.

I cooked it early and let it sit to meld the flavors.
    It is going to be a favorite comfort food this year as the weather turns cold.

Kale and Chicken Stew
    Serves 6-8

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    5 medium mixed potatoes; diced (I used Yukon gold, red and purple)
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    Kosher salt
    freshly cracked black pepper

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion; chopped
    1 large shallot; minced
    2 carrots; peeled and diced
    6 cups chicken stock
    2 sprigs fresh thyme
    2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese; finely grated
    5 cups chopped kale
    15-ounce can cannellini beans; drained
    salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan. Rub with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. In a separate sheet pan, toss the potatoes with olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat. Cover and set aside.

Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and shallot and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the carrots and cook 15 minutes until softened. Add in chicken stock, thyme, chicken, potatoes, Parmesan, salt and pepper bring to a simmer. Add the kale and beans and simmer for another 20 minutes, until the kale is tender and the beans are hot.

Related: Five Ways to Eat: Kale

(Images: Rebekah Peppler)

Rebekah Peppler
    November 2, 2010 06:00PM

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken and Kale Stew

• julier1234
    12 years ago

I made this recipe which was posted by Nancy in the meat and fruit thread. Really good.

Chipotle Lemon Chicken

2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
    1/2 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
    1/2 cup flour
    4 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup dry white wine
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1 cup chicken broth
    8 lemon slices
    Chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Place chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap. Gently pound with a rubber mallet until quarter to half inch thick.

Combine salt, ground chipotle chile pepper and paprika. Sprinkle evenly on both sides of chicken pieces. Dredge seasoned chicken in flour, tapping off any excess, so it is lightly coated.

Heat a large heavy skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add butter and olive oil. When oil is sizzling, add chicken and cook until lightly golden on each side, turning one time only. Set chicken aside and keep warm.

Add the white wine and lemon juice to the pan juices, scraping all of the browned bits and bring to a boil. Cook over high heat about 3 minutes until reduced. Then add chicken broth and reduce again, another 3 minutes.

Return chicken to the pan along with 4 lemon slices, burying the lemon in the sauce. Simmer an additional 5 minutes.

Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with additional lemon slices and pan gravy.

I doubled the spices and served over mashed potatoes.
  • foodonastump
    12 years ago

I tried this recipe from Cooking Light. I've never heard of using of pureed salmon as the binder; to me that was pure genious. The burgers were really good, although I thought the the tarragon was overpowering. Wife disagreed. Next time I'll include it but will cut it back at least by half. Both wife and I agreed that the honey mustard was entirely out of place. I didn't do the arugula/onion juice stuff so I can't comment on that.

Salmon Burgers
    Ingredients
    1 pound skinless center-cut salmon fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, divided
    2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
    2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
    1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots (about 1 small)
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 cup arugula leaves
    1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
    Cooking spray
    4 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns, toasted

Preparation
    1. Place 1/4 pound salmon, 1 tablespoon mustard, and rind in a food processor; process until smooth. Spoon puree into a large bowl. Place remaining 3/4 pound salmon in food processor; pulse 6 times or until coarsely chopped. Fold chopped salmon, tarragon, shallots, salt, and pepper into puree. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, gently shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Cover and chill until ready to grill.
    2. Preheat grill to medium heat.
    3. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon mustard and honey in a small bowl, and set aside.
    4. Combine arugula, onion, juice, and oil in a medium bowl. Set aside.
    5. Lightly coat both sides of burgers with cooking spray. Place patties on a grill rack; grill 2 minutes. Carefully turn patties, and grill for an additional 1 minute or until desired degree of doneness. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun; top each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons honey mixture, 1/4 cup arugula mixture, and top half of bun.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I love marinating then roasting meat. This intrigued me as it has all of our favourite ingredients. I made it tonite and it's a keeper!
    The only thing I did different, was adding water to the roasting pan as it was smoking.
    I always buy pork in a crayovac bag and cut pork chops, and the end is the roast. This is what I used, so it wasn't a top loin.

Festive Pork Roast (Better Homes & Gardens)

1 3-pound boneless pork top loin roast
    3/4 cup dry red wine
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup vinegar 1/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup water 1 tablespoon cooking oil
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons cornstarch

Place roast in a large plastic bag set in a large, deep bowl. For marinade, in a small bowl combine wine, sugar, vinegar, ketchup, water, oil, soy sauce, garlic, curry powder, ginger, and pepper. Pour marinade over meat; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight, turning bag several times.

Drain meat, reserving 1-1/4 cups marinade; cover marinade and chill. Pat meat dry with paper towels.

Place the meat on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of roast. Roast in a 325 degree F oven for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat thermometer registers 150 degrees F.

Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a small saucepan stir reserved marinade into the cornstarch. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Brush roast frequently with sauce after 1 hour of roasting.

Cover meat with foil and let stand 15 minutes. The temperature of the meat after standing should be 160 degrees F. Bring remaining sauce to boiling and pass with meat.

• ann_t
    12 years ago

I tried a new Greek potato recipe:

Patates Plaki

Source: Kalofagas Greek Food and Beyond
    Peter Minakis

(serves 4-6)

6 large Yukon Gold (or other yellow potatoes, peeled and quartered)

1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

2-3 cloves of garlic, smashed

1 medium onion, roughly chopped

1/2 red bell pepper, sliced

1/2 green bell pepper, sliced

1/2 carrot, halved lengthwise then sliced

1 large ripe tomato, passed through a box grater (or 3/4 cup vegetable cocktail)

1 tsp. sweet paprika

1 tsp. Boukovo (chilli flakes)

2 bay leaves

1 cup hot chicken or vegetable stock

1-2 tsp. coarse sea salt

1 tsp. fresh ground pepper

1 tsp. dried Greek oregano

Pre-heated 425F oven

Pre-heat your oven and set the rack to the middle position. In medium-sized deep baking dish add the potatoes, garlic, onions, peppers, carrot, grated tomato, paprika, bay leaves, ground pepper, Boukovo, oregano and toss to coat. Add the hot stock, mix well and taste and add salt to taste and more ground pepper and stir-in.
    Drizzle with olive oil (be generous) and place in your pre-heated oven for 45-50 minutes or until potato-tops are crisp but there�s still some sauce in the dish.
    Carefully remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Good crusty bread is recommended for dunking.

• ann_t
    12 years ago

I tried another new recipe for me last night.

Apple Cream Cheese Danish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Cream Cheese Danish

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Ann your potatoes are something I'm going to try. Your tomatoes look like they are in larger pieces than put through the box grater, is that right?

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

....or I wonder if a part-can of diced tomatoes would work, with some juice, since veggie cocktail is an option in the recipe.

• beachlily z9a
    12 years ago

Ann, those potatoes look yum! Might be my dinner tomorrow night. Hubs is out of town. Need to test it for him!

• lindac
    12 years ago

I am trying to figure out how to pass a tomato through a box grater......adn what vegetable cocktail is.
    Sounds wonderful.....carrots and all!

• shaun
    12 years ago

I made those greek potatoes tonite. I put the tomato in the vitamix and gave it a whirl. We liked them.

Also made Nancy's lemon chipotle chicken. Huge winner. Hubs and son asked that I make it again. Thanks Nancy .

• Kathy F
    12 years ago

Here are two new recipes I've tried this month.

I didn't think I liked candied ginger, but Whole Foods has had huge piles of it the last week or two and it sounded like a nice gift, so I bought a bunch. Turns out, I do like it, but a little goes a long way! :) It does look pretty tied up in a clear bag from Michaels and will be one of my food gifts this year. I understand it can also be useful to help with an upset stomach.

Candied Ginger

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2008

Prep Time:
    15 min
    Inactive Prep Time:
    --
    Cook Time:
    1 hr 0 min

Level:
    Easy

Serves:
    about 1 pound

Ingredients

Nonstick spray
    1 pound fresh ginger root
    5 cups water
    Approximately 1 pound granulated sugar

Directions

Spray a cooling rack with nonstick spray and set it in a half sheet pan lined with parchment.

Peel the ginger root and slice into 1/8-inch thick slices using a mandoline. Place into a 4-quart saucepan with the water and set over medium-high heat. Cover and cook for 35 minutes or until the ginger is tender.

Transfer the ginger to a colander to drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Weigh the ginger and measure out an equal amount of sugar. Return the ginger and 1/4 cup water to the pan and add the sugar. Set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar syrup looks dry, has almost evaporated and begins to recrystallize, approximately 20 minutes. Transfer the ginger immediately to the cooling rack and spread to separate the individual pieces. Once completely cool, store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Save the sugar that drops beneath the cooling rack and use to top ginger snaps, sprinkled over ice cream or to sweeten coffee.

-------------------------------------------------

I'm also trying my wings a bit more with a crock pot (I own 3, but really have only used them for reheating/keeping food warm at parties). I actually bought Stephaine Odea's Make it Fast, Cook it Slow after having it out from the library for a couple of weeks. I used her Turkey Wild Rice Soup recipe with home canned chicken broth and cooked chicken... I used a bit less balsamic than she suggested, and I'm glad; the full amount would have been too much for me. Otherwise, it's a good and easy recipe. I also didn't include the spinach since I didn't have any...

CrockPot Turkey and Wild Rice Soup Recipe

The Ingredients.
    adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen

--turkey carcass (if you don't have one, you can use 2 cups of cooked turkey)
    --8 cups water (to make broth. if you don't have a carcass, use 8 cups chicken broth)
    --1 chicken bouillon cube (only if you are using the carcass to make broth. Don't use if you're using broth.)
    --2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
    --1 yellow onion, chopped
    --1 cup chopped celery
    --1 cup chopped carrots
    --1 tsp sage
    --2 T balsamic vinegar
    --2 cups spinach leaves (Kalyn used cabbage, but cabbage reminds me either of engorgement or the cabbage soup diet)

The Directions.

I used a 6.5 quart crockpot.

This is a 1 1/2 day project. We're going to use the turkey bones to make broth for the soup. If you are using chicken broth and 2 cups of turkey, bypass this step.

Put your turkey carcass into a crockpot, and cover with 8 cups of water. My carcass was only from a tiny turkey, so if you need to break the bones down to fit in your crock, do so.
    My turkey was still stuffed with a quartered onion and some apple, so I didn't bother to add any vegetables to season the water. You may certainly add some onion, celery, or anything else you'd like to season the broth. The more meat and skin left on the bones, the more flavorful the broth.

Cover and cook on low overnight. I cooked the broth for 10 hours. In the morning, put on an apron to strain the broth with a colander. What? No apron? Perhaps you could use a brand-spanking-new "I Heart CrockPotting" one? Since I have a bunch of crockpots, I strained the broth into a new one. You might need to strain the broth into a big bowl, then dump it back into the crockpot.

Pick off the meat, and add it to the broth.

Chop up the vegetables (not the spinach), and add to the pot. Dump in the wild rice. Add the sage, bouillon cube, and balsamic vinegar. Stir.

Add two heaping handfuls of baby spinach to the pot. It will look like a lot, but will shrivel down nicely while cooking.

Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 4-6. The soup is done when the vegetables have reached desired tenderness. There is a lot of volume here; this is a good candidate for a day when you are out of the house for a long time. No need to worry about it over-cooking.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Stephanie Odea's Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

• kathleenca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lindac, I think vegetable cocktail might be V-8 juice?

And, I think If I passed a tomato through a grater there would be as much of my skin and blood in there as tomato.

• ci_lantro
    12 years ago

I made two different apple cake recipes last week and both were very good. Ruthanna's recipe which is posted in another thread and this one:

Apple Bundt Cake

3 Golden Delicious apples (about 1 pound) peeled, diced
    1 cup pecan pieces (used walnuts)
    1/2 c. sugar
    2 t. cinnamon

4 large eggs
    2/3 c. oil (I used 1/2 c. oil)
    2 1/4 c. sugar (Used 1 3/4 c. applesauce)
    1 c. applesauce (Used my home made cinnamon applesauce, slightly sweetened)
    1 1/2 t. vanilla
    3 c. all-purpose flour
    3 1/2 t. baking powder
    1/2 t. salt

Heat oven to 350. Grease & flour a 12-cup Bundt pan.

Core apples & dice in 1/4-inch dices. Put diced apples in a bowl w/ nuts, 1/2 c. sugar & the cinnamon. Stir to blend; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, stir or whisk the eggs w/ oil, sugar, applesauce & vanilla. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder & salt. Slowly beat dry ingredients into the oil & applesauce mixture until well blended. Stir in the diced apple mixture. Spoon into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in cake comes out with a few crumbs clinging.

Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes. If necessary, carefully loosen sides with a spatula. Put the rack over the pan & invert. Cool completely.

Slide the cooled cake onto a serving plate, or to be safe, place the baking pan over the cake again, flip with the rack, then cover with a serving plate & invert again.

Either dust the cake w/ powdered sugar or slice individual servings & drizzle with a warm caramel sauce (ice cream topping works).

Note: I peeled & diced mystery apples from our tree in the backyard. Used 1 pound of diced apples.

The cake was really good. We tried it w/ caramel sauce and without. Good both ways & I actually preferred it without sauce. Keeps well--better the second day.

• bbstx
    12 years ago

I have been getting ready for weekend houseguests (football season is nearly over!). In all of the planning of meals for the weekend, I neglected to plan anything for DH and me for dinner tonight. I have had this recipe bookmarked for some time but hadn't gotten around to trying it.

This will be a repeat for sure! Very good. Very easy. And no exotic ingredients.

I wish recipe writers would give grated cheese amounts in ounces instead of cups! I always figure grated cheese at 4 oz. to the cup, but that made a mountain of parm when grated on my rasp! I threw in what looked and tasted right...about 3 oz.

Spaghetti alla Carbonara

1 package spaghetti
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    6 ounces pancetta - diced
    4 large cloves of fresh garlic -minced
    2 large eggs -room temperature - beaten
    1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
    freshly cracked black pepper

1. Place a large pasta pot with enough water onto boil. Season generously with salt. Once water comes to a boil, add spaghetti & stir so that the pasta separates. Cook for 8-10 minutes until al dente. Reserve one cup of the pasta cooking water.

2. WHILE the spaghetti is cooking, in a large pan over medium heat add olive oil and cook pancetta/bacon until fairly crisp (about 3-4 minutes). Reduce heat to low, add in garlic and cook for another minute (you don't want your garlic to burn).

3. WHILE the bacon/garlic are cooking crack your eggs into a small bowl & add 1 cup of cheese. Mix together and set aside.

4. Drain your pasta well and add to bacon mixture. Is is IMPORTANT that your pasta is HOT when adding it to the mixture. Toss well (I find two forks or tongs work really well for this). Take off of heat.

5. To your plating bowl, add cheese & egg mixture. Transfer the pasta to plating bowl and toss well to combine. If you find the mixture is too thick, you can thin it out with a little of the pasta water (remember you can always add more so add sparingly) Season well with pepper. Garnish with the remainder of your cheese.

Buon Appetito!

Here is a link that might be useful: Spaghetti alla Carbonara

• julier1234
    12 years ago

I made the Artichoke Nibbles that jkom51 posted in the appetizer thread. They are wonderful and easy to make. I would take her advice on the one cup of cheese versus two cups (she noted that the original recipe called for two cups). I did it with two cups, but it would be even better with less to get more of the artichoke flavor. These are going on my Christmas appetizer list.

Artichoke Nibbles
    This popular appetizer is a favorite at Sunset magazine

2 jars (about 6 oz. each) marinated artichoke hearts
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
    4 large eggs
    1/4 cup fine dried bread crumbs
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon each pepper, dried oregano, and liquid hot pepper seasoning
    1 cup (about 4 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    2 tablespoons minced parsley

Drain marinade from 1 jar of artichokes into a small frying pan. Drain remaining jar; reserve marinade for other uses. Chop all artichokes; set aside. Over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in pan, stirring often, until onion is soft when pressed, about 5 minutes.

In a bowl, beat eggs to blend. Stir in crumbs, salt, pepper, oregano, hot pepper seasoning, cheese, parsley, artichokes, and onion mixture. Pour into a greased 7- by 11-inch baking pan.

Bake in a 325 degree oven until custard feels set when lightly touched, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan, then cut into 1-inch squares. Serve warm or at room temperature; or cover and refrigerate to serve cold.

To reheat, bake, uncovered, in a 325 degree oven until heated through, 10 to 12 minutes. Makes about 30 nice-sized squares

• bbstx
    12 years ago

I made this on Friday and served it to our houseguests before the Saturday game. Easy peasy and very good.

Instead of whole pepperocini, I used sliced pepperocini. Plus, I added a splash of worcestershire sauce toward the end of cooking.

If I had to do over, I would not shred the meat until the second day. Shredding it before chilling made it nearly impossible to remove the hardened fat.

Italian Drip Beef

Added by Ree on February 3, 2010 in Beef, Main Courses
    Prep Time 5 Minutes
    Cook Time 6 Hours Servings 10 Difficulty Easy

Ingredients

1 whole Beef Chuck Roast, 2.5 To 4 Pounds
    1 can Beef Consomme Or Beef Broth
    3 Tablespoons (heaping) Italian Seasoning
    1 teaspoon Salt
    1/4 cups Water
    1/2 jars (16 Oz) Pepperoncini Peppers, With Juice
    Buttered, Toasted Deli Rolls

Preparation Instructions

Combine all ingredients in a heavy pot or dutch oven. Stir lightly to combine seasoning with the liquid.

Cover and bake in a 275 degree oven* for 5 to 6 hours, or until meat is fork-tender and falling apart. **If meat is not yet tender, return to oven for 30 minute intervals till it's tender!**

Remove from oven. With two forks, completely shred all meat, leaving no large chunks behind. Serve immediately, or keep warm over a simmer on the stove.

May make the day before, then store in the refrigerator. Remove the hardened fat from the top before reheating.
    Serve on buttered, toasted rolls. Top with cheese and melt under the broiler if desired. Serve with juices from the pot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pioneer Woman Italian Drip Beef

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

I seem to be having NO LUCK with potatoes this month. I made AnnT's Greek potatoes Plaki, except I added chicken to it. The potatoes roasted unevenly in the oven, so some were done and some were not. Then today I made the chicken and kale stew that Magothyrivergirl posted. It was very yum, excellent comfort food and healthy to boot. Except the potatoes didn't get evenly cooked this time either. I imagine that had something to do with their place in the crockpot. If I do this again I'll cook it on high this time and cook the potatoes way before the rest of the stuff. I used some caramelized onions I had in the freezer, they are what made the dish. I do those in the crockpot too, and then freeze in recipe sized portions. I didn't have a shallot. Oh, and I also sauteed the chicken in the olive oil, salt and Mrs. Dash, instead of roasting it. I also added 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp. minced garlic, and a bay leaf to the "stoup."

I'm getting addicted to Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

lpink - Glad you liked the Chicken Kale soup. Maybe it is the actual potatoes not cooking completely. We've had the same problem with some baking potatoes lately.
    Adding Caramelized onions is a great idea - thank you! I've never frozen them, but I am going to now that you've mentioned it, just to use in soups and stews.

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

Yeah, I was wondering about the potatoes, like maybe they were not uniformly "ripe" or something. They were a bit green on the outside. The ones that didn't roast evenly in that other dish were from the same bag.

Frozen caramelized onions are a great cooking secret for a lot of things. I usually don't have time to fully caramelize them when I'm making a dish, but doing them in the crockpot in a whole big bunch some weekend when I have the time works out well for me. You can do them in a big skillet too if you are a caramelization afficianado. I find the crockpot is adequate for the job and a whole lot easier. Just throw some butter and olive oil in the crockpot, fill it up with rough cut onions, and ignore for about 6 hours or more, depending on how you like them done. Stir occasionally. Your house will smell mouth watering. You can add a little salt too, particularly if your butter is unsalted like I use.

• doucanoe
    12 years ago

Having been in somewhat of a cooking rut lately, I was happy that this Chicken Gyros recipe from the King Arthur Flour website turned out to be a winner!

Chicken "Gyro" with Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce
    Source: King Arthur Flour

1-1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast

Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce:

2 cups (16 ounces) plain yogurt (whole or low-fat, not nonfat, preferably without gum or other thickeners)
    1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 12 ounces, about 2 cups)
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 cloves garlic, peeled
    1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, lightly packed
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper

The Marinade:

2 cloves garlic, peeled
    2 teaspoons ground coriander
    2 tablespoons (1 ounce) lemon juice
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 teaspoons lemon zest OR 2 to 3 drops lemon oil
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce

This sauce is best made several hours (or the night before) you want to serve it.Place the yogurt into a yogurt cheese maker, or into a very fine sieve, or a sieve lined with a coffee filter. Set it over a bowl (if you're using a sieve rather than yogurt cheese maker), and let it drain for 1 hour or so; up to 3/4 cup of liquid will drain off. This helps thicken the sauce, and also mellows the acidic flavor of the yogurt. If you like, save the drained-off whey to use in baking (where buttermilk or sour milk is called for), remembering that it's quite tart in flavor.

If you're using an English cucumber, or one without waxed skin, you don't need to peel it. Mix the chopped cucumber with the salt, place it in a colander, and let it drain for 30 minutes or so. Rinse the drained cucumber with cool water, and let it drip dry.

Crush the garlic, and chop the mint leaves medium-fine. Or combine the garlic and mint in a small food processor, pulsing a few times till they're pretty finely chopped.

Remove the thickened yogurt from the drainer, and mix it with the garlic and mint. Add the drained cucumber, then the black pepper, stirring to combine. Add salt to taste. Refrigerate for several hours (or overnight) for the flavors to meld. Yield: about 2 cups sauce.

The Chicken:

Clean the chicken breasts of any fat and cut them into strips about 2 1/2 inches wide. Place the strips on a cutting board, and pound them till they're about 1/4-inch thick. A piece of plastic wrap over the chicken while you're pounding it helps keep it from "spattering."

The Marinade:

Crush the garlic, and mix it with the remaining ingredients. Spread the resultant paste over the chicken. Wrap well and keep refrigerated until ready to cook, up to 24 hours.

Assembling the Sandwiches:

6 to 8 soft flatbreads
    olive oil
    1 cup shredded lettuce
    1 small red onion, peeled and sliced
    2 tomatoes, sliced cucumber-yogurt sauce

You can either grill the chicken, or saute it as follows. Heat a cast iron or other heavy frying pan over medium-high heat for several minutes, until a drop of water will bounce across the surface. Grease the pan very lightly, and place as much chicken as will fit in a single layer into the pan. Cook until the edges turn white before turning over. The chicken is thin, so this doesn't take more than about 4 or 5 minutes before it's ready to turn. Cook just until browned, then remove it from the pan. The sandwiches are good made with either warm or cold (refrigerated) chicken, so this is a flexible recipe.

Lightly brush one side of each of the breads with olive oil. Grill them, or heat them in a heavy skillet just until they're warm and pliable. Place the breads on a plate, and top them with the cooked chicken, lettuce, onion, and tomato. Add a dollop of sauce. For a more portable feast, use a square of parchment or waxed paper to roll and transport the sandwiches. Yield: 8 sandwiches.
    Nutrition information per serving (no bread, 2 ounces chicken with 1/4 cup sauce and vegetables, 154g): 118 cal, 3g fat, 16g protein, 6g complex carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 38mg cholesterol, 596mg sodium, 315mg potassium, 37RE vitamin A, 8mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 97mg calcium, 170mg phosphorus.

Linda

• jenn
    12 years ago

Tried two new recipes this month for a family reunion / birthday party, and both were winners:

Alton Brown's Onion Dip from Scratch. I made it exactly according to the recipe, except I substituted low-fat Greek yogurt for the sour cream. Served it with Trader Joe's Ridge Cut Potato Chips with Sea Salt and raw veggies. YUM, I'll never go back to the Lipton dip! I prepared it the day before the party (around noon, more than 24 hours before it was served) to allow plenty of time for the flavors to blend. Unlike what some reviewers reported, I detected absolutely no hint of mayo (those reviewers probably didn't let it blend as long as I did).

Parmesan Walnut Salad in Endive Leaves with the endive leaves arranged on the side (without the salad in them) and also with toasted pita chips for dipping/spreading. I used a good block of Parmigiano-Reggiano from a local Italian market, and toasted walnut pieces before chopping them. The "salad" is also excellent on top of a green salad. Next time I'll probably grate the Parmesan cheese instead of cutting it into billions of itty bitty tiny pieces with a knife.

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

Jenn that salad sounds DELISH! My mom gave me a bag of walunts and I already had two bags in the freezer, so I'm collecting walnut recipes, lol!

Speaking of walnuts, the salad I made for Thanksgiving was delicious. I didn't follow it to a T though. But I love beet salads and this one is lower fat than my traditional beet salad which has goat or feta cheese in the mix. BTW, this was also great mixed in with some homegrown cabbage the next day as a kind of coleslaw.

Beet and Walnut Salad - Rachel Ray

1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    1 heart romaine lettuce, chopped (I used a gourmet lettuce mix, including red leaf, mache, romaine and frise, my favorite. Also added chopped cabbage the next day.)
    1 can sliced beets (14 ounces), drained and chopped (I left out this time, subbed a red pepper for color)
    4 radishes, chopped
    1/2 small red onion, chopped
    2 ribs celery, chopped (I subbed two pickling cucumbers, very yum!)
    2 tablespoons black cherry, seedless raspberry or apricot preserves (I used blackberry)
    2 tablespoons vinegar, eyeball it
    1 teaspoon poppy seeds, (optional, but makes the dish, IMHO)
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
    Salt and pepper

Toast the nuts in a small pan over medium heat, 3-4 minutes, then let them cool.

Combine chopped lettuce, beets, radishes, onion, celery and toasted walnuts in a shallow bowl. Place the preserves into a small bowl and whisk vinegar into it. Add poppy seeds to dressing if you are using them. Whisk EVOO into the dressing and season it with salt and pepper.

Dress salad and toss to coat evenly then adjust salt and pepper to your taste.
    Lpink's notes: I marinated the chopped veggies in the dressing for a couple of hours before putting the stuff on the lettuce. Also, it still tasted kinds bland to me so I added 1 or 2 TBLSP raspberry balsamic vinegar. I can't remember if it was 1 or 2, but it made the salad, that's for sure. Could add more of the preserves and regular old balsamic vinegar if you don't have the snazzy raspberry kind.

This dressing was a great alternative to the usual sagey kind, I may make it every year.
    Wild Rice and Goat Cheese Dressing
    Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay
    Prep Time: 25 min
    Inactive Time and Cook Time: 1 hr 45 min
    Serves: 6 to 8 servings (Definitely 8!)

Ingredients
    2 cups wild rice
    6 cups water
    3/4 pound Spanish-style chorizo, diced, see Cook's note*
    5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing the dish
    1 cup Spanish onion, diced
    1/2 cup diced carrots (BF didn't want carrots so I used all celery, but it would have been great with carrots)
    1/2 cup diced celery
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped (I used 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme)
    1 (day-old) loaf country-style bread, cubed
    2 to 4 cups homemade chicken stock (Use the lesser amount)
    12 ounces goat cheese (I used maybe 6 oz.)
    1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped (I used 2 heaping TBLSP dried parsley)
    Kosher salt

Directions:
    Combine the rice, water and 1 tablespoon of salt in a large saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the grains open all the way, about 1 hour, 15 minutes to 1 hour, 30 minutes. The rice should be very cooked (not even the slightest chewy). Drain well, place in a large bowl and set aside. (I cooked the rice in vegetable bouillon, saved the leftover broth for the dressing. I did not add salt and 1 TBLSP seems like a lot, I would never put that much salt in something! I would use maybe 1 tsp.!)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Heat the butter in a large high-sided saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo, onions, carrots and celery and cook until soft. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for 1 minute. Add the onion mixture, bread, goat cheese, parsley and 2 cups of the chicken stock to the rice. Mix to combine. The mixture should be quite wet; add more stock, if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Transfer the mixture to a large buttered baking dish and bake, uncovered, until heated through and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.

*Cook's note: We recommend to order from D'Artagnan because it's not raw or totally cured and cooked...it's kind of in between.

Lpink's notes: I didn't use chorizo, so I don't know how good it would be with that spicy sausage. I had some maple flavored vegetarian sausage I wanted to use up, and some mild natural pork sausage links. The kind of sausage you use is the key flavor ingredient here, so if you don't think you'll like chorizo flavored dressing, use another kind you like. Also, I think all that goat cheese is overkill, definately not needed or use way less. Lastly, I added about a cup of chopped and sauteed gourmet mushrooms because I thought the recipe called for them when I got them at the store. They were great in the recipe!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Lpink - Beet and Walnut Salad - Rachel Ray - how small did you chop? Like a Classic Chopped Salad chop? I just bought a bottled Raspberry Vinaigrette from Trader Joe's and I love beets, even canned beets, and we eat salad alot. DH doesn't care for the Fancy Leaf mixtures either, but I'm the cook and I like them :) but, we are long time married....so.....:)

Do you really think you could skip the Goat cheese? I would like to try your Wild Rice Dressing without the goat cheese. I love Goat Cheese, but it is a NO for Heart Healthy eating. I have some turkey chorizo I need to use.

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

Re: the beet salad. I almost always add goat cheese to my beet salad, but it is stil good without it. A lot depends on how yummy your veggies are. Like I said, I didn't use the beets, but the recipe calls for canned pickled beets which I do use on salads, just not this time. The best thing in my salad, IMHO, were some nice and firm small pickling cucumbers that I used instead of the celery. Also some nice firm fresh radishes I picked up at the farm market. Really can use any vegetables that look good in the store, I do chopped salads a lot. Chop into bite sized pieces. I usually do romaine, but I really love frise so I splurged this one time. Plus it was the end of the day at the market so it was on sale. Could use any type of lettuce that you like. The next day I even added it to some fresh cabbage, but again, these were sweet little homegrown cabbages that a friend gave me. The toasted walnuts were kind of special too.

As for the dressing, I used a small amount of lowfat goat cheese that I had sitting around, just to use it up. I use miniscule amounts of cheese in things for the same reason, cheese is a no no in the saturated fat dept. You could try looking for the lowfat feta, I only find it sometimes at the store. But I used so little, it really didn't dominate, so that's why I think you could do without it. Also, if you like chorizo, it will be the key flavor anyway, so I think you will then like the dressing. I used a nice bakery italian country bread loaf, which helped make it yummy. It was a bit stale from being in the freezer with a bag with a hole in it, but you want slightly stale bread for dressing anyway.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I found a container of sour cream lurking in the back of my frig that needed to be used up. I had a recipe for Sour Cream Pancakes handy and I made them yesterday.

Soooo good! I won't be buying the Krust...something from Costco anymore! These were to die for.

I'm sure you guys make your own pancakes regularly and this was my first time, so I won't bother posting (unless of course you "want" the recipe. I just had to share how easy and good they were.