Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roasting Bags

Posted by caminnc (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 17:11

This is probably a silly question to ask all the cooking experts here but does anyone here use a roasting bag to cook turkey?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roasting Bags

I do and have for many many years. I wasn't believer at first, but then my BIL cooked the turkey in it one year and I was sold. I have been using them ever since. I find they keep the turkey moist, but the skin gets nice and brown. I don't stuff my turkey. Don't know if that would change how you cook it in one of those roasting bags.
Clare

o

just fallow the intructs about dusting the bag inside with some flour.

o

I've used them and they do keep the bird nice and moist, although I don't think the skin browns as well. Not that I care, I don't eat poultry skin anyway, can't stand the stuff.

I cook my turkey in the Nesco roaster to save oven space and it doesn't crisp the skin up all that much either.

Oh, and when I did use them, I still stuffed the turkey, it worked fine. The only problem was stuffing that neck cavity and still getting a big turkey into the bag. I always managed, though.

Mother doesn't like it as well because the stuffing she likes is the stuff at the edges of the pan/roaster that get crunchy, that doesn't happen in the bag.

Annie

o

I always use a roasting bag for the same reasons aptosca mentioned. It also shortens the baking time (an energy saver), and is a little more forgiving if you have to hold dinner off for a little longer (like the year someone had a flat tire). I also use roasting bags in my solar ovens - helps food cook faster.

I shake the bag with the flour inside. Roll the side of bag down exposing the bottom. Add some salt, pepper, coarsely chopped onion, celery (a good place to put the leafy ends if you normally toss them out), coarsely chopped carrot, some fresh sage leaves or dried sage or poultry seasoning. This will season the broth. The broth can be used for making gravy and/or soup. You will be amazed how much more you have than using the traditional method.

I also put some fresh/dried sage, salt and pepper, lemon slices if you like, inside the carcass to help season the turkey (or turkey breast).

Oil the outside of the bird and place it over the veggies/seasonings. Roll the bag back over the bird and follow the instructions. Don't forget to cut the vent holes!!!! I use a pair of kitchen scissors or a sharp paring knife. If you misplace the little closure strip you can cut a 1-inch slice off the bag opening and use it to tie the bag closed.

-Grainlady

o

Nope....my favorite way is in my antique Savory roaster. But if the bird is too big, I just put it into my open roasting pan...
The savory roaster browns the turkey very well, and I think the bird stays nice and moist....but my son says "Mother!! you are steaming not roasting that bird!!"....however I notice he eats it!!
But if I get a bird larger than 16 pounds, it has to go into an open roaster.....and that's good too....you just have to be more careful not to over cook it.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Savory Roaster

o

I am a recent convert to the bags and LOVE how both chickens and turkeys turn out. I'm surprised by the amount of brown drippings available for gravy. Must be the flour in the bag, but it's great.

o

I found a package of one bag and I'm sure going to use it on the 14 pounder I just bought. But I will also make my usual turkey breast as that is what we really like and that will be au naturel.

Dh, of 37 years, claims he likes dark meat but all I've ever seen him eat is white! Ah, who cares.

If the bag saves some splatter, good for me.

o

I use them also, have done that forever with poultry of any type.

o

I too love using the roasting bag. I've never had a dry turkey and like Grainlady said, you will have LOTS of yummy broth for gravy.

If you want to brown the skin/top of the bird, take the bird out 45 minutes before it's finished, cut the top of the bag (exposing the top of the bird), peel the bag down a little, and put the bird back in the oven to finish roasting. Voila!

o

I use cooking bags for alot of things-but aways for turkey!
I do as gardengrl does for crispy yummy beautiful skin.

Through the years of kids' sports, working a bazillion hours and getting home cooked meals on the table, cooking bags were my savior!

o

I've never used a roasting bag, is there a difference between using a roasting bag or covering the roasting pan tightly with foil?

o

I first saw the roasting bags on Justin Wilson's show. Bought some and never got around to using them! Oh, the good intentions. Seemed like a great idea. I don't even remember what all he used them for but he used them several times. If only I could get my Justin tapes back. :(

I do remember the one tip about poking holes though - be sure you poke the holes in the top of the bag and not all over, otherwise, your food juices go all over.

o

The bags are not cheap.

Do you reuse them?

dcarch

o

1. Look for off-brands of oven bags (Aldi usually has one). In my experience they work just as well as the more expensive Reynolds Oven Bags. I also stock-up when discounted after the holidays. I buy any size they sell when discounted. Smaller ones come in handy for roasting small cuts of meat, turkey legs, etc.

2. I consider them disposable. I also destroy it by gathering the bag up after removing the meat, holding the bag full of meat juice over a container and cutting a corner on the bag to drain the juice. Toss the "stuff" remaining in the bag in the trash.

3. I've also lined my roasting pan with an oven bag (leaving it open) and baked "Party Mix" in them for easy clean-up (especially when making mega-batches of the stuff). In this case I reuse one bag for one baking session. I'll wipe the used bag out before adding another batch destined for the oven. Toss when finished. The roasting pan will stay clean. No baked on cooking oil.

4. Oven bags hold the moisture in, keeping the meat moist, and are self-basting. Juices don't evaporate.

-Grainlady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here