Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot appetizers...ideas needed

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 17:04

We will be having our little holiday party at work next week. Everyone is bringing hors d'ouevres. I signed up for a hot/warm appy but now I am drawing a blank other than little smokies or meatballs.

The food must hold until early afternoon, there is no kitchen, but we do have a microwave and we do have outlets for crockpots.

All ideas/recipes are welcome!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot appetizers...ideas needed

Stuffed mushrooms
Mini quiches
Savory cheesecake
Mini crabcakes

Deanna

o

These are on my list to make in two weeks:
Cranbertrysausage balls

1 pkg. Jimmy Dean� Hot Pork Sausage Roll
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped dried cranberries
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup all-purpose baking mix
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375�F. Mix ingredients just until blended.

2. Shape into 36 (1-inch) balls; place in single layer in 2 lightly greased baking pans.

3. Bake 10-12 minutes or until done (160�F).

You can heat them in the micro before serving, or they are good at room temperature.

I served this last year with blue tortillas:
crockpot cream cheese sausage and rotel dip
8 oz cream cheese
- 1 can tomatoes and green chies (aka Rotel), drained
- 1 lb breakfast sausage, browned and drained

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Instructions

Brown the sausage on the stove, and drain on paper towels. Unwrap the cream cheese, and put it into your crockpot. Chop up the sausage and add on top. Drain the Rotel and add it. Cover and cook on low for about 90 minutes, or on high for 45 minutes. Stir well and eat with tortilla chips.

I cooked on low and stirred often.

o

How about doing those yummy 12345 ribs of Jim's that Alexa and FOAS spoke so highly of.

Use cocktail size ribs.
Cook them at home the night before and then heat in the mikey or keep hot in the crockpot

They are my holiday list along with sui mai and potstickers

o

Mini Lobster Mac and Cheese Bites

Ingredients:
1/2 lb elbow macaroni (mini elbows or penne work best)
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted to brush tin with
1/4 cup Parmesan bread crumbs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 packed cup)
4 ounces deli-sliced American cheese, chopped
3/4 cup lobster, diced
1 tablespoon onion, finely minced
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425.

In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni until al dente. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process and to keep the macaroni from sticking to itself.

Brush 2 24-cup, nonstick mini muffin tins with butter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs; tap out the excess.

In a large saucepan, melt the butter, add onion and saute until soft then over medium heat, whisk in the flour. Cook for two minutes until boiling. Whisk in the milk and continue whisking until boiling, about 5 minutes. It should be nice and thick. Stir in the American and cheddar cheeses until melted. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Off the heat, stir in the egg yolk and paprika. Fold in the lobster and macaroni.

Spoon evenly into the muffin cups.

Bake in the upper part of the oven for about ten minutes. Let cool for about 5-10 minutes so they don't fall apart. Use a plastic spoon to remove them from the non stick muffin tins.

Or

Scallops Rockefeller (I admit I usually adlib this one.)

Use mini muffin tins, line each with pie crust and bake till just starting to brown. Meanwhile poach sea scallops until just turning opaque. Mix up some creamed spinach. Put a tbs. or so of creamed spinach on top of each pie crust. Pat the scallops dry. Slice scallops in half to make them half thickness. Top spinach with a slice of scallop. Bake at 350 until spinach bubbles about 10-15 minutes. Remove from tins and serve. For a variation, I top the scallop with a small piece of cooked bacon. I've added cheese to the creamed spinach and I've made mini pizza crusts used a cookie sheet to bake. It all depends on the ingredients I have on hand and how much time I have. The one thing that is consistent is I use fresh spinach and sea scallops.

o

These are really good & easy -

Kielbasa Bites
2 - 3 lbs Kielbasa, cut into 1/4" - 1/2" slices
1 jar LaChoy Sweet & Sour Sauce
1 (8oz) jar apricot preserves
1 (8oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 (8oz) can chunk pineapple, drained

Boil Kielbasa for 10 mins; drain well.

Mix all remaining ingredients and put in crock pot. Mix in Kielbasa. Cook on low for about 2 hours

Serve with pretzel sticks instead of toothpicks

o

I love hot crab dip and it's easy to heat in a pie dish on a hot plate on low.
It's my favorite appetizer.

o

Buffalo Chicken Dip is good. Easy to reheat in pie dish.

o

Make ahead....heat in the micro...
Raspberry Wings
1-1/2 c seedless raspberry jam
1/3 c balsamic vinegar
3 T soy sauce
1-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 pkg (5 lb) frozen chicken wings, thawed
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil. In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients, except the wings, over medium heat, stirring until smooth. In a large bowl, toss
the wings with half of the jam mixture. Place on the baking sheets and
bake for 50 minutes. Turn the wings and brush with the remaining jam
mixture. Bake for 8 to 10 more minutes, or until no pink remains in the
chicken and the sauce glazes the wings. Serve immediately.
NOTE: If you substitute boneless, skinless chicken tenders for the wings, just reduce the baking time to about 15 minutes. And, for a change, you might even want to try this with apricot jam instead of raspberry.
Serves: 4 to 6

Another make ahead and heat in the micro..\
Joel�s Taco dip

In a 9 or 10 inch glass pie plate.
Spread
1 8 oz package of cream cheese..pour over the top
1 can Hormel chili without beans
1 can rotel
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese sprinkled on top
Microwave until all it hot and the cheese melted�.serve with taco chips.

o

Since Sharon mentioned potstickers, here is my recipe for gyoza. They can be stored in a crockpot.

Gyoza

2 minced green onions
2 tsp minced ginger
2-3 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp minced basil (optional, can be Thai or Sweet Basil)
1 tbsp black rice vinegar (or regular rice vinegar)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp chili paste
1 tbsp corn starch
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup chopped spinach
2-3 finely chopped mushrooms
1/2 pound ground turkey
one package dim sum wrappers (about 24-30)
grape seed oil, for sauteing

Dipping Sauce:
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil

If you want to use a mini food processor, you can put the onions, ginger, garlic, basil, vinegar, soy sauce, chili paste, and cornstarch in it and process until everything is sufficiently minced. Otherwise, do the mincing by hand, and then stir together with the rest of the ingredients, except the wrappers and grape seed oil.

Fill the wrappers with about a tablespoon of the mixture and moisten one edge so that you can make a seal when you fold it over. Be sure the press out all air before sealing. When all are filled, saut� for 2-3 minutes on each side at high heat in the grape seed oil in a large saute pan that has a good cover. When browned on both sides, add a tablespoon or two of water, cover, and reduce heat to simmer. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until done. Cooking time will depend on how big they are.

Mix the soy sauce and sesame oil in a small shallow bowl for dipping.

Lars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here