Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jellied turkey drippings- What do you use it for?

Posted by westsider40 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 16:43

Reading about the all the tasty stuff you all do with everything including turkey treasures, I saved the jellied drippings from the refrigerated and then carved extra turkey. I'm guessing it's for stock.

In my basement freezer, I have several jars of chicken stock I saved. I also have cubes of stock which I saved after I read of all your cooking miracles. The only time I touched any saved stock was when I heated up a jar and proclaimed it chicken soup (I added water).

When I ask my husband if he'll eat soup, he says sure, but he doesn't. I made a little stuffing and it's fine as is.

This jellied stuff is likely a treasure but what can I do with it? I don't cook much any more, altho I did for a zillion years. I'm kind of in the mood to cook, and my son, dil and gs live around the corner, but what to cook?

I appreciate all suggestions but I don't like to use tons of ingredients and several different steps. I am simple!
thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jellied turkey drippings- What do you use it for?

Use the turkey jellied stuff to heat up leftover turkey in...to make more gravy with...or to put into a batch of stuffing sometime in the future when you are cooking just a turkey breast.
As for the chicken stock...use it for soup....but don't add water!
Heat it up add some carrots celery and onion, cook until the carrots are cooked about 30 to 40 minutes add a few uncooked noodles and cook another 7 minutes of so and add salt and pepper if it needs it....but chicken stock diluted with water isn't soup!
I naver use water in any soup...I use chicken or beef stock.
Try using some of the stock and a can of italian plum tomatoes cut up and a stalk of celery, a slice or 2 of onion a clove of garlic and a bay leaf....simmer 30 to 40 minutes, remove the garlic and bay leaf...salt to taste and call it tomato soup.
Use the stock to cook rice,,,use it to cook sliced potatoes in in a covered dish in the oven...
Just a few suggestions.
Linda C

o

Westsider, if it were me, I would freeze it for next years or Xmas turkey gravy.

o

Pot pies.

i do them in a round ramekin and just pastry the top now, that jelly would go into pot pies.

If you make your soup thick enough with "stuff", well, then ladle it into a dish, cover with a pastry top, savoury, not sweet, and call it pot pie.

Gak, now I feel like pot pie but...tomorrow will do.

o

Thanks a bunch, Metaxa...I also feel like a pot pie now!!!

o

thank you all for the lovely ideas. I like the tomato soup and pot pies and resurrecting turkey and gravy and saving it for later. I like all your ideas A couple of years ago we picked up a stick blender on sale and it's still in the box, unopened. It might be useful to mush up the tomato soup stuff.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming. Since the jelly seems special and almost exotic, is there anything sexy to make. Thanks very much. This is a less fruitful time for the forum as folks are busy with their nice long weekend, their own yummy leftovers and get togethers. I was just proud of myself for saving the jelly!

o

If I understand what you have, it is basically turkey aspic. So you can make xiao long bao, which are buns filled with savory broth and sometimes a bit of meat or veg too. The broth is like your turkey jelly, jiggly when cold so it can be mixed with the meat filling and packaged in the dough wrapper. When the bun is steamed, the jelly turns into liquid and the xiao long bao becomes a miniature water balloon of tasty. Google ''xiao long bao'' and you'll see. These are probably not the easiest buns to start with, if you haven't made buns (or dumplings) before, but why not live dangerously? Plenty of how-to's online, e.g.:
http://www.chinatownconnection.com/xiao-long-tan-bao-recipe.htm
http://the-cooking-of-joy.blogspot.com/2009/01/xiao-long-bao-steamed-soup-dumplings.html

o

I like to spread some geletin on my turkey sandwiches before warming them in the microwave. It melts and soaks into the meat for juicy flavorful turkey sandwiches.

It can also be dumped into the chili pot. It just melts in and makes the chili more flavorful.

Can't prove it but I suspect geletin is a health-food heavy weight. One of those things that tastes good because it is good for you.

: )
lyra

o

It all sounds delicious. That long bao may be the recipient cause if I don't live dangerously, then I'm not living! (OMG I bore myself to tears) And my family around the corner would be so surprised and delighted. Thanks for the sandwich, soup, leftovers ideas. All good.

o

I'm opne who just cannot toss bones without getting every last bit of goodness from them. Doesn't matter if chicken or turkey... great stock for basically nothing. Measured out in about 2 cup containers... perfect for cooking one cup of rice. Or add a few veggies and a few T of rice for soup. Or added to about anything that calls for water. Have plopped in container of frozen goodness into chili when envelope of seasoning called for water. No matter that chili was ground beef... stock was just so much tastier than plain water.

Knew I wasn't having any left-overs from T-Day so roasted off a package of wings (one of my favorite parts anyway) the day before. Once I was done pickiing at them, into soup pot with carrot, onion and celery for a nice simmer... super jellied once cool.

Cooked half a turkey breast on Friday for my NEEDED turkey sandwiches. Used some of the jellied stuff to add to pan to make nice amount of gravy. Put left-over gravy in small containers (maybe 1 1/2 cups) and froze along side vac sealed packages of sliced turkey... just enough for a generous hot turkey sandwich later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here