Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Popover question

Posted by donna_loomis (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 16:42

I've never made popovers. I'd like to, but balk at the $30+ price tag for a special pan. Is it really necessary to use this type of pan or could they be made in a muffin pan?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Popover question

You can make them in a muffin pan...but they won't pop as high and nice....because muffin pans aren't as deep.
I have mane many many a popover in an oldfashioned custard cup...put them on a cookie sheet.
For years I made lovely popovers in muffin pans......then one day it didn't work!! Just didn't!!
Tried at least 5 times...no pop! Came onto the CF and found a recipe that works every time....even in muffin tins...but they are little and wimpy!! LOL!
POPOVERS
1 1/4 cups milk
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs + 1 egg white
Preheat oven to 425�.
Pour milk into medium sized mixing bowl. Add flour & salt. With wire whisk, beat until well blended. Do not overbeat. One at a time, add the eggs, beating in each until completely blended. Pour batter into greased popover cups, filling 3/4 full. Do not scrape bowl. Bake at 425� for 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325� & continue baking 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.

Also have this in my file...but have not yet tried it...you can be the guinea pig!!
Popovers PerfectedTo get twice as many high-popping popovers from the same amount of batter, use a preheated twelve-hole muffin tin.
he challenge: Popovers seem like magic. Made from a simple, thin batter of eggs, flour, milk, and melted butter, they pop up in the oven to triple their original height with no help from leavening of any sort. This amazing feat is the result of two factors. A hot oven and a pan that is deeper than it is wide cause the steam released during baking to make a giant bubble which is contained by a structure created by the starches and proteins in the batter. We set out to discover how to make the ideal popover: one that pops up high with a thin, crusty exterior and a relatively dry interior with threads of custardy dough. Surprisingly, in a recipe so simple, this meant testing a large number of variations of both ingredients and technique.
The solution: I found that two extra-large eggs provided enough fat and protein to pop reliably and well, but without giving an overwhelming eggy flavor. Baking at 450 degrees for twenty minutes created maximum height, and then lowering the temperature to 350 for another fifteen to twenty minutes ensured that the inside had the right texture. Most surprising, we found that popovers cooked in muffin tins (versus popover pans and deep porcelain ramekins) popped twice as much as as the other popovers and were lighter.
THE BEST POPOVERS
Makes 1 dozen in a muffin tin
This batter can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to four days. If you�re making it ahead, bring it to room temperature and stir well before pouring it into a hot pan.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
2 extra-large eggs
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus additional melted butter, vegetable oil, or vegetable oil sprayto grease the pan
1. Adjust oven rack to low position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Place empty muffin or popover tin in oven to heat while making batter.
2. Whisk flour and salt together in medium bowl. In a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup, lightly whisk together milk, eggs, and butter. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients all at once; whisk until just blended. (Batter can be made ahead and refrigerated in sealed container for up to four days.) Pour batter into measuring cup for easy pouring.
3. Remove hot pan from oven; lightly grease interior of each cup and pan rim.
4. Fill each cup half full with batter. Bake without opening oven door for 20 minutes. Lower heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake until popovers are rich brown in color, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Serve warm. (Popovers can be frozen in airtight plastic bags, and warmed in 325-degree oven until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes.)
November, 1994
Original article and recipes by Deborah Krasner

o

I'm game! I'll let you know how they turned out. Thanks Linda.

o

I sprung for a vintage popover pan on ebay several weeks ago. So now, I can't blame the pan! However, my popovers still wouldn't pop.....until I made a recipe correction for my humidity (or rather, lack of it!). It is so dry here, more so indoors during heating season. Equal volumes of flour and milk just won't work.

So, for my 11 hole popover pan, my batter is:

3/4 c flour
3/4 c milk
1/4 c water
2 eggs
pinch salt

My method is pretty much like Ann's.

o

Cooksnsews....forget the water and just add an extra egg white....but if water works...it's cheaper and has fewer calories!

o

But I like that eggy taste!

Thanks for the reminder...haven't made these in years...used to add beef fat to make yorkshire pudding...yummy.

o

I used a large muffin pan for years for my Yorkshire Pudding . They don't puff quite as much but that is fine by me. We like them a bit on the eggy side rather than hollow.

My Mom and Nana made them in a 9X13 baking pan. Delicious regardless of vehicle!

o

I also made them in muffin pans and they turned out fine, although not quite as high.

Elery bought a popover pan on Amazon for less than $12.00, makes 12. I bought a matching one at Goodwill, LOL, $2.00. They're nice, but hard to store and live in the basement until I need them.

Muffin pans definitely wll work.

Sharon, I just saw a recipe today that used a 9x13 pan for Yorkshire pudding!

Annie

o

Annie, I think that is the traditional English way and then served cut in squares. I never saw them cooked individually until I was on my own. I recall thinking how "elegant" they were! LOL

The texture is thicker....hence the name pudding

o

The thing about popovers is they can be reheated!!...make them ahead, and poke a little hole in the side, allow to cool, put into a plastic bag ( they will get all soft and icky!) and then put them into a 250 oven on a cookie sheet for about 30 minutes, until they are crisp again.
Don't think squares or Yorkshire pudding reheats well.

o

Nope but they sure are fabulous cold!!!!!

o

Hmmmm. Elery loves popovers but I've never made Yorkshire pudding. He'd like me to make popovers for his family for Christmas and I like that they reheat well, but I'm kind of leaning toward Yorkshire Puddings.....

Decisions, decisions. You know how I always like to make whatever it is I've never made before.

o

My recipe for Yorkies is almost the same as Lindac's for popovers, Annie. For individual Yorkies in muffin pans I mix
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
2 large eggs'
about a teaspoon of dried mixed herbs
salt and pepper to taste
And leave it to stand for at least an hour before pouring into greased, smoking hot muffin cups. Once they're in don't open the oven door for at least half an hour.

o

I have always made Yorkshire pudding and Dutch babies in a pan and popovers in muffin tins.

o

Cold popovers, Chase???

These are made in my muffin tin.

Photobucket

o

Mmmmm..... I have a pan of popovers in the oven right now to go with our soup....

o

Be sure that all ingredients are at room temperature before putting the batter into the preheated pan. That's the only way you'll get the poofiness you want.

I use a cast iron popover pan, which works fine, but I do still lust after the thin metal ones made of several metal cups suspended from a framework. I think it would be worth the money to get the better results.

o

World market had popover pans for 8.99. When I bought mine they had free shippling.

here is the link
http://www.worldmarket.com/product/6-cup-non-stick-popover-pan.do?&refType=1&from=Search

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here