Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade soup too salty....how to fix?

Posted by debi_2006 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 6, 08 at 16:27

I made a broth for French Onion Soup and it's very salty. Is there anything I can add to tame down the salty taste? It's for dinner tonight so I need a quick fix. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade soup too salty....how to fix?

Cut up raw potato pieces in it, to absorb the salt.

o

Add more water to it. If your soup needs to be thicken, add a small amount of cornstarch or flour to thicken the soup.

o

I used the last potato last night for dinner. And, the soup is not suppose to be thick so adding a thickener isn't an option. I tried a little sugar and worked a bit via an Internet search.

Thanks for the suggestions.

o

That's why I am very very careful about things like boullion cubes and stock bases.
I would slice up another onion or 2 and add more water and perhaps some sherry wine.
I've never been able to really get much difference by adding potato slices....but it must do something because when I remove the potato, it's slightly salty.
My sloution to too salty, too sour, too sweet, too hot etc...is to make more without any more seasonings.
Linda C

o

Add more water and some sherry.

o

Adding potatoes to a too salty soup or sauce will not make it less salty. That is an old wives tale. Once the salt has dissolved it can't be removed. A potato, or a carrot or a piece of turnip etc. will taste salty because it absorbed some of the salty liquid. But the remaining liquid will still be just as salty. The only way to reduce the salt is to add more liquid to dilute it. Depending on how salty your soup is, just increase the recipe 25% to 50% omitting extra salt.

Ann

o

I just made Chicken soup with to much base. I had a baguette that was getting hard so I broke it in 1/2 and let one 1/2 soak for a few minutes in the soup. It did make a difference after adding water as well.

o

I usually float about three slices of soft white or wheat bread on top til they start getting saturated. Then scoop them out and give it a taste. I've had pretty good luck with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here