Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is and how to use California style chili powder

Posted by lamaria (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 07 at 16:07

I have a chili recipe (Swick and Swick world championship chili) that I found on the Food network. It calls for 1/2 cup of California style chili powder. Is it possible that is the correct amount? What is the difference between that and New Mexico style chili powder and regular chili powder? I have never heard of so many different types or so much being used on one chili recipe. Thanks to all you chili experts-
Lamaria

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is and how to use California style chili powder

California Chili powder is from Anaheim chilis which are mild but flavorfull...New Mexico Chili powder is usually Hatch chilis ( but not always!!) and still a mild chili, but hotter than Anaheim..."regular" chili powder usually contains other spices as well...sometimes cumin sometimes oregano sometimes both...and you never really know how hot it is unless you are familiar with the brand.
Linda C

o

Anaheim chilies are mild, and so California chili powder will be about as mild as Paprika, and not that much different. I prefer to use whole dried chilies, and if you like, you can grind them in a coffee mill to make your own chili powder - just remember to remove the seeds first and toast the chilies to make sure they are stiff enough. I generally use Ancho, Guajillo, and Pasilla chilies, or any combination thereof.

Lars

o

Lamaria, did you know his wife won the same cookoff in 99 and her recipe is a lot simpler and I bet just as good if not better.
James

Here is a link that might be useful: 1999 Chili Cook Off

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here