Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with Maple Cream Pie recipe

Posted by gardengrl (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 16:05

Last time I made this pie, the custard didn't set and it was soupy. I got the recipe here (can't remember who). Anyway, I'm going to attempt it again tonight for a lunch function at work tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me what might have gone wrong with this recipe? I was thinking that maybe 3 egg yolks was too little? Does it need more cornstarch?

Maple Cream Pie

1 frozen deep dish 9-inch pie crust
2 1/4 cups whole milk
2 cups Grade B maple syrup
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup all purpose flour
3 T cornstarch
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, divided

1/4 cups chilled whipping cream
1 T sugar
Toasted chopped walnuts

Bake and cool pie crust according to package instructions. Whisk milk, syrup, and yolks in a large bowl to blend. Whisk flour and cornstarch in medium bowl. Gradually whisk 1 cup milk mixture into flour mixture. Gradually whisk in remaining milk mixture. Transfer to large saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until custard thickens and boils, about 8 minutes. Whisk in 2 teaspoons vanilla. Pour into pie crust. Chill until cold, about 3 hours. Beat cream, sugar, and remaining 1/2 tsp vanilla in medium bowl until peaks form. Spread whipped cream over pie and sprinkle with walnuts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with Maple Cream Pie recipe

That amount of flour and cornstarch and egg yolks should cook up nice and firm...
Are you sure you cooked the milk,sugar, syrup, flour, cornstarch and egg yolks until it boiled?
Were the eggs large eggs?
I really think you just didn't cook it long enough before you put it into the pie crust....

o

The one below uses a lot less maple syrup...2 c seems like quite a bit....

Here is a link that might be useful: Maple Cream Pie

o

Both recipes sound great to me. I really like maple. And I like cream pies too.

o

Cynic, I agree, I like maple and I like cream pies, so I'd like maple cream I'm sure.

I also think that there is sufficient flour and cornstarch to thicken that amount of liquid, so I'm puzzled as to why it didn't thicken more. My chocolate cream pie recipe has 2 cups of milk and only 3 tbls of cornstarch, no added flour at all and it's nice and thick. Hmmmm.....

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving, Kathy!!!

Annie

o

The one with less syrup doesn't contain flour has one less egg and one less tablespoon of cornstarch...to account for the cup less syrup.
I believe you didn't cook it long enough to thicken.

o

One other possible explanation is that maple syrups vary in their thickeness/water content. Maybe that's why the reipe states "grade B" syrup, which is slightly thicker than Grade A. This is very slight, but some syrups are indeed thicker. Or if you used some other type of syrup that wasn't maple syrup, then maybe it didn't thicken up. I mean if you just take plain old maple syrup and cook and whip it up enough you will get maple cream even without added ingredients (Or you will get black taffy or set the house on fire, one of the three!)

o

Maple syrup is slightly acidic, and two cups is a lot of maple syrup. Acids break down starches. That may be the problem. Some maple syrups may have a little more acid than others. How slowly did you cook the filling? You can try cooking it fast, so it thickens before the acid has a much time to act on the starch.

o

I don't know the answer, but I'm interested in what others have to say. I'd had the same problem with maple pecan pies. The most maddening thing is that it's unpredictable - sometimes the recipe works perfectly, other times I get a thin crust which is baked with soup underneath. This is the same recipe with the same ingredients.

Cheryl

o

Ok, so I added an extra egg yolk and definitely made sure I cooked it long enough last night. I didn't have 2 cups of maple syrup, so I used 1 cup maple syrup, 1/2 cup light corn syrup and 1/2 cup of maple liquour that we picked up in Canada a few years ago.

It looks great (so far), but I think it may be "too firm" LOL! We'll see when we serve it today at lunch...I'll be sure to grab a small piece "for testing purposes". :-)

Do you ever have one of those recipes that you just make over and over until you get it right?

o

Well, it was a hit! One minute the pie was there, and the next minute it was all gone!

The filling was perfect, not runny not too firm. This recipe is definitely a keeper and the liquour was a nice touch. I think when I make this again I will add a touch of maple extract to make it more "mapley".

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Annie! And Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here on the Cooking Forum!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here