Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dutch Oven Steak And Gravy

Posted by moonwolf (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 16:02

Hi everyone,

So, I found another recipe to make in the Dutch oven: Baked Steak and Gravy. This recipe uses cube steaks, which I love since chicken fried steak is one of my favorite meals. Here's the recipe.

Baked Steak And Gravy

6 cube steaks
1 can golden mushroom soup
1 pkg. onion soup mix
3/4 can water

Sprinkle onion soup over browned meat. Mix soup and water and pour over. Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours, covered.

I have a few questions reguarding this recipe. Could this easily be doubled and have 12 steaks going at one time in the Dutch oven? Can I add some other ingredients to it like cream of mushroom and/or French onion soup, mushrooms, onions, and Worcestershire sauce to it? Would that be too much?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dutch Oven Steak And Gravy

With all that soup mix, it's going to be very very salty.
Why not try a sort of Italian version?
Brown your steak, add some canned sliced mushrooms, a can of crushed tomatoes and a small can of pizza sauce.
Bake at 300 for 2 hours. I think you could add up to 8 small steaks with the same amount of sauce.

o

Brad, you don't need all that soup. Here is my "baked steak", or what I call Swiss Steak.

Cube steak
salt pepper
flour to dredge and for gravy
butter
Onions

Salt & pepper the steak
Salt & pepper the flour
Dredge the steak in the flour
Brown the dredged steak in butter in a skillet or the dutch oven in batches, removing to a plate as necessary, until all the steak has been browned.

Add some more butter and flour to the pan to make a roue.
Cook until the flour is no longer raw, with a faint smell of nuts to it. Add water to make the gravy. Put the meat back in the dutch oven and add sliced onions. Bake at 350� until tender.

I usually do at least 8 pieces of cube steak at one time, and bake it 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

How big is your dutch oven? If the meat is stacked too deep, it will take a lot longer to cook, I think. The best you can do is try it and see if 12 pieces would be to much. I use a large roaster, one of the granite colored oval ones, if I want to make lots at one time. My dutch oven might hold 12 pieces, but I'm not sure. That would be at least 3 layers of meat.

Tami

o

I agee that your dutch oven is going to be kind of crowded with that much steak, but I think it will be OK if you let it cook for a longer period of time.

I also think that all that canned and dried soup is going to add a lot of salt, although I do like the idea of adding onions and mushrooms and worchestershire sauce to it. My youngest daughter, Ashley, loves Cream of Mushroom soup, eats it right out of the can without even adding water. I cringe, because my blood pressure is a bit high and I don't need the salt.

I think if I used one of the kinds of soup, I wouldn't use the other, and you could easily substitute one kind of soup for another, for instance, using french onion instead of the dry packet and the golden mushroom.

Like Tami, though, I don't use the soup at all. I dredge the steak in flour, salt and pepper it, brown it in some hot oil and put it into the dutch oven with the onions. Mushrooms would be nice too. I make a gravy much like Tami does, but I use beef broth instead of water and be sure to scrape up all the goodness that has stuck to the bottom of that pan when I browned the steak.

It's something I make when I don't have much of anything on hand except meat and onions because as long as you have flour/salt/pepper you're pretty much good to go.

With some mashed potatoes, that would be comfort food at its best, and I'd sure want to double the recipe, because leftovers would make awesome "hot beef" sandwiches.

Annie

o

Thank you for the help and ideas, everyone! I only wanted to see if I could make a double batch just in case I make this for some family gathering or have some hungry friends over sometime. I didn't nesscissarily mean combining all of those soups and ingredients together at once. Just that I could be flexible with this recipe. I agree about the salt. I have to watch my salt intake anyways because of of my kidney stones.

Lindac, that does sound like a perfect meal, especially on a cold day. Heaven only knows how many of those we'll be facing this winter.

Tami, my Dutch oven is a 6 quart enameled cast iron from Wal-Mart. Your recipe sounds delicious!

Annie, I was thinking of adding some sliced onion into it as an option as well. I like recipes that you can be creative with. :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

For me, I like to add some red wine. Just my taste.

dcarch

o

I do something very close to your recipe. I use Cream of Mushroom soup and the dry onion soup mix, 1 1/2 cans water, and 4-6 cube steak. Flour and brown the steaks no salt on them at all, place in 9 x 13 dish. Mix soups and water to equal 2 1/2 cups and add one cup raw rice. Pour over steaks, cover with foil, and bake about 1 1/2 hours at 350. That is the "official recipe". This is my version: I do not use the 9x13, I just put it all in my 3 quart oval LeCrueset, cover and bake. I do pre-brown the steaks in the dutch oven. The number of steaks that will fit kinda depends on the size of the steaks. You can certainly add onions, mushrooms, whatever you want. Any combination of soups would be good along with a splash of worcestershire sauce or not. I think dutch oven cooking is pretty flexible and can be altered as you want and what you have on hand. If adding rice, just make sure you have enough liquid so it will cook.
My theory on recipes is that they are just kind of a guideline and if you stick the the main points of the recipe you will be alright. This is not true for cakes, cookies, etc which require more precise exact measurements.
Be brave and experiment!
Murphy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here