Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Feta go Bad?

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 8, 11 at 15:51

I bought a nice block of feta in brine quite a while ago.
While making Greek Salad I noticed that it's kind of slimy. I just cut off the outer slimy part and used some of the rest.

It didn't change colour, have mold, just kind of slippery.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Feta go Bad?

See if this link helps you any... -Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Still Tasty - Fetta Cheese in Brine - opened

o

That is one totally cool site Grainlady! Thanks! You can freeze eggs. Huh, whoda thunk it?

o

Sorry....I don't think a lot of that site.....after 3 months feta doesn't automatically "rot". And for keeping anything, a lot depends on the conditions where it it is stored and what sort of things it endured before it got to your refrigerator.
Feta is cheese...it's already "spoiled"...
Unless it molds it's pretty well fine. The brine serves to retard surface mold and keep it from drying out. It will continue to age and may get a little more stinky....that smell of an aged soft cheese, like beerkase, but it's still good to eat.
I am reminded of some people I know who won't eat a banana unless it still has some green on it....I wouldn't touch a banana until it's all yellow and has some black spots....what is spoiled for some is ripe for others.
Linda c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here