SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenna1_gw

Odd Thanksgiving meals/dishes

jenna1
10 years ago

The post about Thanksgiving sides brought back some memories for me. I remembered some odd Turkey Day meals and wondered if anyone else have had something that they've tried or eaten elsewhere that wasn't a tradtional food on the day.

The one and only time that we ever had Thanksgiving at someone else's home was just wrong. My parents were literally begged to bring the family over to their home for the meal. We had fish, mashed potatoes and coleslaw! My mom told us later that neither the wife or husband were great cooks and that was the first year they had tried to make a turkey and it had burnt almost to a crisp so it had gotten tossed and that fish was the only thing that they had in the freezer in abundance to feed us all.

Needless to say our turkey went into the oven the next morning at home and we never ever went to someone's home for Thanksgiving again. Let's face it, you just can't make the much anticipated turkey sandwiches out of leftover fish. :)

Last year we had hot dogs and mac & cheese out of a box on Thanksiving Day. We had moved to another state and arrived at our new home at night the night before Thanksgiving. It was a very long trip wth our three furballs and we could have cared less. We did go shopping on Thanksgiving Day and bought a couple turkeys for the freezer, one of which we had for Christmas. Easiest Thanksgiving dinner I've ever made.

Anyone else?

Jenna

Comments (11)