Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade Pizza

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 15:26

I made a double batch of bread dough last week. I saved part of the dough thinking I would bake again later in the week.Never got around to it. So yesterday I took the dough out of the fridge, knocked it down, gave it a quick knead and left it to come to room temperature and rise again.

The long cold fermentation (7 days) made for the best crust.

Thin in the middle with a wonderful light, airy, chewy outer crust. The cold fermentation also really enhances the flavour and the texture of the bread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade Pizza

That looks EXCELLENT!!!! YUM!

o

Wow! Delicious!

o

That looks scrumptious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Show off :-)

o

WOW!!!

LOL Chase!

o

Show off :-)

o

YUM! I love long cold fermentation. I have been stretching it into more days and have found that rather than decrease the activity of my wild yeast it just gets better. Fantastic pizza ! c

o

That is one great looking pizza and I am sure with the flavor to match. Good job!

Silvia

o

During that 7 days in the fridge, do you do anything to it each day or something?

o

Oh Ann your pizzas always look good but this one takes the cake!

The crust looks so light and airy just the way I like it...not thick dough as the crust.

o

Now that end crust is worth eating!! Just like my grandma's--to me it was the best part of the pizza.

o

Papa John's, Domino's, and Pizza Hut, please listen, this is how pizzas should be made.

Great job!

dcarch

o

Gorgeous! I made pizza last week and refrigerated the dough. Loved it and I will definitely do it again.

Tracey

o

What Chase/Sharon said

o

What everyone said.

o

Perfection!

o

Pizza with a few surviving fall greens...

o

Awesome looking pizzas! We make our own dough too, but have never left it in the fridge for longer then a day. I'll give the longer process a try. Wish we had some cold leftover pizza for breakfast. This oatmeal just isn't cutting it after looking at your pizza pictures! lol NancyLouise

o

Yum! I want some.

o

Agmss, great looking crust.

Nancy, I usually just leave the dough for two to five days. Would have made a great loaf of bread.

o

We could perhaps call Ann a show-off, if she weren't such a source of help and info! Her photos make me drool!

o

ann t, is there any special procedure to go through with the dough in the fridge? I mean, do you have to knead it once a day or anything like that? Do you just take it out of the bread machine or after you've kneaded it and put it in it's container and forget about it until it's used?

o

Arkanasgirl. This dough had a number of rises before it became a pizza crust. I made a batch of dough that had 8 cups of flour plus the 1 1/2 cup batch of biga. The dough was kneaded and left to rise until more than doubled and then knocked down and left to rise again. I divided the dough and made three baguettes and what was left went into the pail, topped with a lid and put into the fridge. It continued to rise in the fridge so it had to be knocked down again. Other than that, it was left untouched in the fridge until I took it out on Monday. I knocked it down again, gave it a quick knead and put it back into the pail and left if on the counter for about three hours. As it warmed up it rose again. At that point it could have been shaped into a loaf of bread, or used to make pizza.

o

Thanks Ann! The whole knead and rise process is sort of a mystery to me...HAHA!

o

That looks great!!
I love home maded pizza, so much better than store bought.

Linda

o

Yum to both pizzas!

Ann, what kind(s) of cheese did you use?

Agmss, I love the idea of using your home grown greens on the pizza.

Sally

o

In late fall the greens get pretty strong - so I end up using them more like fresh herbs than greens.

o

Sally, I'm a purist. I use Mozzarella and not the low fat kind either.

I've tried using a mix of cheeses, like provolone and Parmesan, but that isn't how I want my pizza to taste.

The only other cheese I will use occasionally is fresh mozzarella.

Ann

o

Just saw that a link to this thread is posted on Gardenweb's Facebook page. It is definitely a keeper. Thanks, Ann.

Just wondering -- does anyone still use the term "pizza pie"? I only hear pizza. I do hear the term "tomato pie" but that is a little different from a pizza.

o

well, it took me a couple of tries to remember my password here - but I did it! Saw this linked to on Ann's facebook page, and I thought I'd take a look....lots of old friends here - HI!

And awesome pizza Ann...:-)

ps - We did have your biscuits and sausage gravy the other night, and the boys ordered Mo-like meals topped with poached eggs. :-)

o

Stacy, you know you have been away far to long when you can't remember your password. Nice to see you back.

~Ann

o

Ann, did you use any special bread recipe? Your pizza crust looks amazing....just how I love it. I try so hard to get that look...will try your way now! Was it a french bread recipe...italian bread...using a biga it has to be a GOOD recipe!

Deb :o)

o

Deb, I started out using Julia Child's French Bread recipe, but over the years I've made changes so I guess it doesn't really resemble the original recipe anymore.

To get this type of crust, you need to add more water. It is a very soft hydrated dough. So if you use the French Bread recipe and do nothing else, but add extra water, and give it a few days in the fridge you will have a great pizza dough.

I posted the recipes for both my Pizza Sauce and crust on my blog, and have included my notes on the changes I have made.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pizza Night

o

It sure looks like you didn't skimp on the cheese. I'm still drooling, and now I'm going to have to make pizza soon.

Do you ever make the dough, partially cook the crust, then freeze it to use later for quick dinners, like a home made Boboli?

Sally

o

Sally, I use to do that in the past. But now I just leave the dough in the fridge until I'm ready to use it. And if I get to the end of the week and I'm not making a pizza, I just bake another loaf or two of bread.

But, there is no reason why you can't partially bake a couple of pizza crusts and freeze.

~Ann

o

Thank you Ann! I have made Julia's french bread before, just didn't add more water for a pizza dough. But what a great idea! I am going to make this dough tonight and let it sit in the fridge all weekend for a pizza next week. Thank you for sending me the link!

Deb

o

*thud* Stacy3 is back! *thud*

(That's a good thing!)

o

That is a good thing!

And thanks, Ann.

Sally

o

Hi Stacy!!!! So good to hear from you I think of you and "the boys" often. Don't even want to know how big the "little man" is..... :)

Sharon

o

Hi. It's so nice to see so many of my friends - I'm not in the habit of checking in here though and I will have to remedy that. :-)

Sharon - little man is taller than I am and don't tell Scott but he's a hair taller than he is too! He's still a sweetie though :-)

Will someone remind me how to post a pic? LOL - seriously. there was something with img source or something like that. I had it written on a little sticky note by the computer - long ago...

o

For those of us who are 101 bread makers, what is biga - and will any bread recipe work for this pizza dough? TIA

o

Pink Warm Mama. A Biga is a "starter".

And yes, you can use pretty much any bread dough. Although I would adjust the recipe adding additional water, because a more hydrated dough makes for a better crust.

Also I would not use enhanced doughs - doughs with sugar, eggs and butter.

~Ann

o

Ann...got the dough all made and in the fridge for the week...or perhaps a loaf of bread before the week! But I wanted to ask what temp do you set your oven on to bake the pizza? I know the loaves of bread you bake at 450, do you also bake the pizza at that temp? Thanks!!!

Deb

o

Deb, Julia Child's recipe specifies 450. I actually bake all my breads at 500. And they are baked on a stone.

I bake pizza at 550.

~Ann

o

Thanks Ann...I "think" mine might crank up that high. I have put it on 550 before so I guess it will! I can't wait to see the pizza crust this will make. That dough felt so good as I was working it, very smooth after stretching it and letting it rest a while.

Deb

o

Be sure and post a pic of yours Deb!!

My "homemade" pizzas are goodies thrown on a tortilla shell! LOL.

o

You are welcome Deb. Please take pictures. Would love to see your pizza.

o

jasdip, that sounds like a good idea and a lot less calories too! HAHA! Oh and did I mention EASIER! HA! Thanks for the idea! I think we call those nachos in Texas! :)

This post was edited by arkansas_girl on Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 22:44

o

I have 2 week old lean bread dough in the fridge in a bucket. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. What's to lose?

o

Westsider, what is "Lean" bread dough?

o

Westsider, I've never tried using dough that was two weeks old. I'd give it the sniff test, just in case. If it just smells sour, but not bad, I think I would be tempted to use it as a starter in a new batch of bread. AFter two weeks it is possible that it might need to be "fed".

Ann

o

Yes, thanks Ann. Lean is without eggs or dairy. This is just flour, water, salt, and yeast.

I was thinking that, too. I'm not sure of the smell difference of sour and bad, but if it's alcohol-ly, well, still, can I call it a sourdough starter? Only half joking but it may be less than 2 weeks. Thanks for your advice, Ann. I can and will mix up some fresh dough, if necessary. Or add fresh flour and water, and a bit of salt, no extra yeast.

I just printed out your pizza recipe and am anxious to try it. Thanks for all your contributions.

And the flour container and other toys are already on the counter.

Oh, I just had an idea. What if I marked the calendar on the date that I mix up some dough. I need to do that!

o

I bought perforated aluminum pizza pans. Just made a thin crust with Italian sausage slices and chopped fresh basil. There is no doubt I can do a lot of experimenting with different ways to make pizza but this turned out pretty good.
It has been a while since I made pizza, and I'm going to start doing it more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here